Oppo 95 vs (Oppo 93 + DAC) for the same price?

john_k_antony

Dear All,

I am planning to get a Blue Ray player for my Home Theater. I also need to get a good CDP. I narrowed down my selection to Oppo-95 because it is a very good BD player and also has a top class DAC for 2 channel stereo. Oppo-95 looks like a good all in one solution. The price is $1000.

Another option I was thinking of is to buy the cheaper Oppo-93. The video performance is same as Oppo-95. But doesn't have a high performing DAC for 2 channel stereo. The price of Oppo-93 is $500. Now I can add a $500 DAC to Oppo-93 for 2 channel stereo making the total price same as Oppo-95.

I am very new to DACs. Do I get an audiophile range DAC for $500?

Oppo claims that Oppo-95 is an audiophile range player in terms of 2 channel stereo. Oppo-95 also has better chassis and power supply.

BTW, I am looking at Oppo for video because of better video chip (Marvel QDeo). I also need 2 HDMI output from the player as my AVR doesn't support 3D. So I will take one HDMI for HD audio to AVR and another HDMI for 3D video to the projector.

One thing that is making me worried is the support for Oppo in India. As some of the FMs has reported issues with Oppo players recently.

I would really appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

Thanks,
John.

IMO, lot of importance is placed on DAC and it is very undue. Most of the modern DAC's are very transparent and if implemented currently sound almost similar. Although, marketing companies know this and market the products to people who are into it.

I think you will notice very very little change in a blind testing. With the placebo effect, there will be a huge change. Just my two cents.

Thanks Guys,

I got myself an Oppo 93 for now :). I am planning to get a dedicated high end DAC later if I am not happy with the sound.

BTW, now I am getting more into Vinyl so not listening to much of my CDs :).

John.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back