OPPO Universal Disc Players

Afaik sound of music is located in delhi and they no longer deal wiyh any oppo products. Btw i posted a link to a nice for sale in the hot deals sections.

Guys, Thanks a lot.

OPPO Digital USA said that SoM/ N Delhi, were authorised resellers.
Contacted them over the phone, but they quoted a pretty ridiculous price.

Saw some posts that said it was possible to import directly.Will check out that option.

Any advice ???

@ ajoseph

As far as I understand this is still available with the owner. As th pm facility is not available you can shoot me a mail at tapandash at outlook dot com

Oppo players CAN be imported directly from Oppo or Amazon and region modified ones from a few USA based shops.
You will have to pay the customs duty and postage costs, which, if you buy the Oppo 93 will come to about Rs40,000/-delivered to your home.

I seriously doubt the figure of 40 k after the dollar appriciation. However to get a realistic value of the landed cost do kindly refer to the borderlinx site.

More like 60k ...

BDP 93: US$ 499.00
Shipping cost: $130.00 (using SnS calculator for 8 kg package weight, BDP weighs 4.9kg)
Region free making Mod Kit: US$ 149 (includes shipping)
--------------------
Landed cost in INR at RS. 56 to $1: INR 43,568
Customs duty (36.3% on landed cost): INR 15,815
Indian Bank forex charges at 3.5% on USD: INR 1,525
--------------------
Total Cost of Ownership: INR 60,908

This is when importing directly from your home in India. If you purchase abroad, you may escape customs duty. Still the cost will arrive at 45k.

I know Oppo is the best/reference and all that but I think that 45k or 60k is an insane amount to pay. I will never do it. The amount that I would pay for a player like Oppo is 20k, 25k tops - not a paisa more.

p/s. Some correction is possible for customs duty. Other figures may be irrefutable.

Last edited:
It seems that the bdp advertised inthe other site with a tag of Rs 22k looks mouthwatering then :yahoo:

The 93 is not available.
That is not the moot point. The point is how much do anyone want to spend on a BDP?

My own conclusions: The video processing of reference players like Oppo comes out best when upscaling DVD and other SD material. If watching original BDPs, Oppo may still be better but the difference may be visible on screen sizes 65"+ (TV or projection). Another outstanding feature of Oppo is the DAC. It will refine your audio. But then do you have the reference quality amp and speakers? If one has a 42-50" TV, a Denon 1910 and ordinary 5.1 speakers (like me), then Oppo does not justify. It is like having a Rolls Royce engine attached to a Hyundai i20.

Costliest/best as exclaimed by experts/reviewers will not be always best for you.

That is not the moot point. The point is how much do anyone want to spend on a BDP?

My own conclusions: The video processing of reference players like Oppo comes out best when upscaling DVD and other SD material. If watching original BDPs, Oppo may still be better but the difference may be visible on screen sizes 65"+ (TV or projection). Another outstanding feature of Oppo is the DAC. It will refine your audio. But then do you have the reference quality amp and speakers? If one has a 42-50" TV, a Denon 1910 and ordinary 5.1 speakers (like me), then Oppo does not justify. It is like having a Rolls Royce engine attached to a Hyundai i20.

Costliest/best as exclaimed by experts/reviewers will not be always best for you.

I suppose it will depend on how much one has paid. For ex. if you had someone carry from the US, then at around 25k will it be worth it?

There are a lot of features which most wouldn't use like multichannel analog output which most would use HDMI. Also, the dac can be a replacement for an entry level cd player, so if one takes the cost of a cd player plus entry level bd player, it may justify.

From an upscaling perspective, unless you only play pure 1080p, then yes the upscaling doesn't come into play. But if you use it to play rips, then they do come into play.

I suppose it will depend on how much one has paid. For ex. if you had someone carry from the US, then at around 25k will it be worth it?

There are a lot of features which most wouldn't use like multichannel analog output which most would use HDMI. Also, the dac can be a replacement for an entry level cd player, so if one takes the cost of a cd player plus entry level bd player, it may justify.

From an upscaling perspective, unless you only play pure 1080p, then yes the upscaling doesn't come into play. But if you use it to play rips, then they do come into play.
Definitely. Cost may be justified if one has the equipment like you have. :)

The point is how much do anyone want to spend on a BDP?

Oppo may still be better but the difference may be visible on screen sizes 65"+ (TV or projection).

Definitely. Cost may be justified if one has the equipment like you have. :)

I agree. The Oppo machines are primairly for people who have the audio and video gear to extract the best out of them. From what I have seen on this forum, there are many who have systems that would qualify.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back