Order from Ebay.com

argentum246

Hello Guys,
i see few items of interest from ebay.com. With our ebay.in gone, is it advisable to order from ebay.com? kindly update your experience at the earliest if you or any of your friends have ordered anything from ebay.com via international shipping.

Thanks

Last edited:
Have ordered multiple items. Ebay provides purchase protection. In case the item does not reach it is typically refunded or re shipped. If international tracking is available then we can track the item otherwise it won't be trackable once the item leaves origin country. Also be prepared for customs duty in case indian customs decided to charge.

thanks Hassan, I am planning to buy an item that is listed by an Israely seller. It is a remote worth $70 and $10 shipping. does that anyway can attract customs? If it does what is the amount and process to clear it?

If the shipping is through DHL, Blue Dart type companies, it will attract customs. If the tieup is through India Post, you may escape the duty.

This has been my experience in such cases.

Customs in India are very unpredictable. Your item might escape duty sometimes or if the seller under values it. I had an experience recently with them as one of my streaming devices got struck in Bangalore customs for almost a month and I had to go there personally and get it released for much less than the actual customs duty mentioned, it is all luck and your negotiation skills. But make sure you have a valid invoice and tracking ID.

thanks Hassan, I am planning to buy an item that is listed by an Israely seller. It is a remote worth $70 and $10 shipping. does that anyway can attract customs? If it does what is the amount and process to clear it?

what for is the remote? can't you use an universal remote, likes the Logitech Harmony. It will be cheaper & better option.

Thank you Srinivas. I can do that. Also incase it gets stuck at customs .. what is the process to get it?
Normally sometimes items get delayed in customs due to various reasons, low staff, huge pile up of items and of course pure laziness. Once they clear it, the item is sent through the postal service if it is a normal delivery and postman collects the duty levied in cash (only when duty is there), otherwise it will just be delivered. I visited customs (next to GPO, Bangalore) as I could not wait for any more delay and it worked out for me as I was able to avoid 40% duty.

Indian customs is very unpredictable. 2K worth item no duty and delivered promptly but 40/- fuse stuck in custom for weeks and a notice was received. If u receive a notice from customs then you should personally go and meet them with invoice and they will release the item. They won't give the item to you but it will be delivered at home only.

Other option is ask him to mention it as a gift as it might not attract customs, again it's all your luck. Take a chance, at the worst it might attract 30-40% duty.
I just got seller's reply. He said he can't send invoice but can send a packing list with value - "you can tell me how high you need it to be, and I'll state that value" . Also where he needs to mention this as gift?

Thanks

I just got seller's reply. He said he can't send invoice but can send a packing list with value - "you can tell me how high you need it to be, and I'll state that value" . Also where he needs to mention this as gift?

Thanks
Normally, on aliexpress packages there will be a column where you need to mention whether the item is for commercial, personal or a gift. I'm not similar with ebay.com.

Dear @ Agentum. I have mostly used ebay .com, but always told the seller to send by USPS, which turns out to be cheaper at shipping, and also to save on customs. Customs in india is like an Active Volcano, or a Dead Volcano. We never know when suddenly it may erupt or to dead to suddenly get active again. This is just the pic of our customs.
from my many times experience on Ebay.com i have received items 98% without any duties. Since yours is only a remote, i may not attract any duty at all, because of its low wait. let the seller mention the item as gife ok. take care bye.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back