Overly bright set up: audiolab 8000a with mission 751

tpaschenegger

I'm kind of new in the audio game. I recently installed my first proper set up: an Audiolab 8000a with Mission 751's. I play music through spotify premium (yes, I know) with a V-dac II connected to my Macbook. I mostly listen to alternative pop/rock.
I found the whole set up to be overly bright and after a short while of listening very fatiguing and even causing slight headache. Now I'm looking to replace one link in about the same price class to reach a warmer sound, I'd say my budget is around $400 and I mostly buy second hand. I do prefer a set up that doesn't color the music to much and is very detailed. That's why I settled on this set up in the first place, but it ended up being way to bright for comfortable listening.
I could replace the audiolab 8000a with for example a Nad c350
I could replace the Mission's for something warmer like a Dynaudio 40.
Or I could replace the V-dac II for example an Arcam Irdac, but I guess that will make the least difference.
Which peace of gear would you recommend keeping and which one would you recommend replacing? And with what? Any advice would be much appreciated.

The first suspect should be your current speakers.
Then the rest of the chain.
My suggestion would be to carry your Amp/DAC or at least the amp and audition.

Cheers,
Raghu

Audiolab is bright and Mission forward sounding hence hell. Get Denon or Yamaha or Arcam with Mission. B&W Wharfedale etc with audiolab.

if the nad is a match, its a good amp - its slightly on the warmer side at the same time very detailed and musical

Before making any big and costly changes I would suggest you to first try swapping some interconnects and speaker cables. Speaker cables preferably copper. (Without any coating of tin or silver).

Also try covering the tweeters lightly with a little piece of tissue (temporarily use some tape) and see if it softens the highs a bit.

Also how "treated" is your room. Experiment with some thick draping, curtains and floor matting to absorb some highs.

If even after this setup is bright then go for other components.

Personally never heard the amp nor your speaker model so these are best inputs I can try out at the moment.

Again try borrowing from friends or other FMs to try before you buy.

YMMV. I have tried all these tweaks and had got different results (some favorable others not)

So try what works for you and in your room.

Cheers!

Advice from "sdurani" and "rohitmusic" are simple experiments.
Since you are using Macbook, can you get a basic EQ add-on to your SW player.
This way you will have total control.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you guys for all the input. I can get a good deal on the nad c350 (150 euro's). I'm going to give that a try.
First thing I tried before turning to forums was turn down the treble, move around the speakers and try different inputs. Only slight differences and the turned down treble sounded very muffled on top of that.
Couldn't even stand the new Radiohead album, the brightness killed me.

Thank you for the reply's. A lot of different opinions.

I did do a lot research before deciding on this set. I believe both the mission's and the audiolab are described by some as bright and clinical, by some as neutral en extremely detailed and as a legendary combination. I guess it depends on room acoustics as well, something I do not have the luxury of changing. In my case unfortunately they ended up on the bright spectrum. Didn't try the tissue thing though.

I just listened to radiohead's new album on the set in 24bit wav format. First song or so was great after which my ears started bleeding (don't worry, not literally). Listened to my headphones, sennheiser HD 280 (served me well in field recording for movies and I love there neutral quality) on my computer and loved the album. Sound was way more laidback. Plugged my headphones in my amp and although more detailed and punchy, still very bright imo and not comfortable listening at all. Quickly plugged back in to my macbook.

I have little experience with Missions and Audiolab so won't comment on them.

However; the sound you get is usually defined by the speakers more than any other component in the chain so I'd start there with something more easy on the ears like KEF or PSB's.

On Dynaudio's, your gonna need a solid amplifier to drive them.

1. if you've removed the grills, put them back on
2. if you've toed them in, make them face forwards
3. worst case put some cloth in between the tweeter and the grille to tone down the highs :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back