Owners Thread of Panasonic TH-P42X30D - Settings & Features Discussion

abhinkoi

Hi All,

With all your help I was able to finally decide on buying 42' TH-P42X30D Plasma TV. Today I got the delivery of my first 42' TV & I am really excited to play with it when it comes to settings and features. Hence I am strating this thread so that all the owners of X30D can discuss the various features of this beautiful piece.

Suggestions are invited on how to make the best use of it. Right now the TV is running on the default factory settings & I have started reading the manual to make it better.

Looking forward for an active participation from all the owners.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Abhinav

Here is the first review of my first flat TV Panasonic P42X30D -

1) Interaction - The interaction was really nice with the sales person Hemant yesterday 19th Feb. I called him in advance before going to buy & confirmed the deal of Rs.33000 & if he has fresh stock. He confirmed. We went there & he explained the features of this
TV along with the comparision with other LCD,LED & Plasma TVs of Panasonic. That interaction was great and informative. We immediately booked the TV, paid the amount by Credit Card & he promised the delivery next day (20th Feb) 10am morning.

2) Delivery - The 10 am delivery didnt happen. I called the showroom several times in the morning but no one picked up till 11 am. Finally I got hold of someone at 11am and he said Hemant didnt come yet. He said he will talk to Hemant & call me back in 10
min...He never called back...after waiting for 30 min I called up again & talked to Hemant. He said he will deliver it in 30 min but it was never done...I called back again & he said the driver is on the way & I will call the driver & will conference u with him which never happened...finally I blasted him at 1:15 pm & he said that he is coming himself for the delivery & by 2 pm it will be done....I waited waited & waited till 2:45 pm when a single person came in Auto with the TV....It was a heavy TV & a single person cant carry it...finally with the help of security we brought the TV home...

3) Installation - That person pulled the TV out of the box carefully & started the installation...he didnt come with the proper tool kit...came with just 1 screw driver which didnt work on the screws...I gave him mine & he installed within 20 min and went away..

4) PQ & SQ - Here is the main catch...The PQ which I saw in various show rooms while taking the demo of X30D was different than what I observed in the first go. The colors, depth, SQ is good but the sharpness is not the same...I dont see faces crystal clear as it was in demo. The faces are kind of blur/unclear. I dont know whether its a problem of settings, firmware or anything else but I see a difference. I am yet to see a solution by the Panasonic person who is yet to come for a demo.

5) Demo - Panasonic people called me for the demo today afternoon & asked me for the time for the demo. I gave them the time of 5 pm...nobody turned up till 5:30pm & I called them back...they gave me a number for the engineer...I called the engineer & he said he cant come today as he already has so many calls to attend...I called their office back & the person there told me that he will call that engineer & he will come today only & will call u before coming...he never called me back..I called him at 7:30pm & he denied for coming today...for tomorrow he wasnt sure about the time...so I didnt have a good exp so far on this front..lets see what time he comes tomorrow...

Lets see what happens...Will do some R&D & keep you all posted...
In case someone has faced this issue with this TV kindly share the optimal settings for the display....Thanks in advance...

Regards
Abhinav

Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for starting this thread. Even I am on the lookout for similar suggestions. I have tried true cinema and dynamic modes and i liked the latter mode. However based on some suggestion i have kept it to normal mode. Aspect ratio is 16:9. The good thing is menu settings are easy to use and so is the remote control.

Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for starting this thread. Even I am on the lookout for similar suggestions. I have tried true cinema and dynamic modes and i liked the latter mode. However based on some suggestion i have kept it to normal mode. Aspect ratio is 16:9. The good thing is menu settings are easy to use and so is the remote control.

Hello Freak,

Please use the "Just" mode instead of 16:9 as 16:9 mode expands the picture wider whereas Just mode keep it as default/normal mode.

Yes I completely agree that the remote of Panasonic is user friendly and all the settings are easy to change/use.

More to come...

Regards
ABhinav

Please keep all the setting below 50 for 200 hrs to avoid burnin. Dont use default setting till you complete 200 hrs. I think in default setting contrast is set to 100 (I guess).

Thanks Rajesh for your suggestion. I wasnt aware of this so used it with Dynamic mode for quite some time to watch Cricket matches as they look good in Dynamic mode. But I havent used this mode for consistently becoz I was eager to check other modes as well so kept changing intermittently...

Yes you are right...Dynamic mode default contract setting is 100 and it looks so bright & colorful(extra colors)...so need to adjust this setting which suit our eyes.

Pls share any other important tip which you have learnt while using your TV.
Looking forward...

TC
Abhinav

Hi All,

With all your help I was able to finally decide on buying 42' TH-P42X30D Plasma TV. Today I got the delivery of my first 42' TV & I am really excited to play with it when it comes to settings and features. Hence I am strating this thread so that all the owners of X30D can discuss the various features of this beautiful piece.

Suggestions are invited on how to make the best use of it. Right now the TV is running on the default factory settings & I have started reading the manual to make it better.

Looking forward for an active participation from all the owners.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Abhinav

I think I already replied this on another thread...anyhow i will mention again

Try and watch all channels including SD channels/DVD movies in full screen mode for atleast 6/9 months (approximately 500 hrs) to allow proper burn-in.
Under Picture Settings, Normal Viewing Mode, 0 Brightness, 50 for the rest (the default setting) is recommended during the burn-in period.
Avoid direct sun-light from falling on the screen, also best viewing experience can be obtained by placing the room light sources behind and above the TV screen.
Apply firmware update via USB and check for it regularly.

Link to frimware page

Download Information of VIERA for Asia, Oceania, Middle East and Africa | Download | TV | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

I think I already replied this on another thread...anyhow i will mention again

Try and watch all channels including SD channels/DVD movies in full screen mode for atleast 6/9 months (approximately 500 hrs) to allow proper burn-in.
Under Picture Settings, Normal Viewing Mode, 0 Brightness, 50 for the rest (the default setting) is recommended during the burn-in period.
Avoid direct sun-light from falling on the screen, also best viewing experience can be obtained by placing the room light sources behind and above the TV screen.
Apply firmware update via USB and check for it regularly.

Link to frimware page

Download Information of VIERA for Asia, Oceania, Middle East and Africa | Download | TV | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Thanks Kannan for your inputs.
HD channels are coming fantastic...no complaints but in SD channels I see that the faces arent clear which are little far...in closer ones they are better but not awesome as HD....may be I am expecting too much from this TV :licklips:

Yes I m using the normal mode now with the default settings...keeping it lighter & not brighter..rest all matches exactly as u have mentioned..firmware is up to date...2015 is the latest version and its already ON...

Thanx again...tc
abhi

In the initial days, for atleast 100 hours minimum run the TV for atleast 6/8 hours a day and continuously for atleast 2 hours minimum.
Audio is Panasonic's weakest link. Since the models do not allow external speaker connection, and if you do not own an AVR, use the headphone out to
connect to a stereo amp & speakers for enjoying movies and music videos.

In Picture Setting, Advanced,
set refresher rate to 100hz. Resolution Enhancer to "Max", Sidepanel to "High" and enable overscan. Rest to your taste.

Also register you TV with DivX for enabling playing DivX video via USB.
You will find the method in the manual.

If you are using HDMI to connect TATA Sky HD box to your TV, then under Tata Sky/Organiser/User Setting/Sound Setting, set HDMI audio out to PCM.

Happy viewing.

Thanks Kannan for your inputs.
HD channels are coming fantastic...no complaints but in SD channels I see that the faces arent clear which are little far...in closer ones they are better but not awesome as HD....may be I am expecting too much from this TV :licklips:

Yes I m using the normal mode now with the default settings...keeping it lighter & not brighter..rest all matches exactly as u have mentioned..firmware is up to date...2015 is the latest version and its already ON...

Thanx again...tc
abhi
lol....that is why HD is HD ans SD is SD.......
just joking....when you see SD channels in 16.9 mode, it will look a bit out of sorts but you will get used to it.

If you are happy with HD, then you can't blame the TV for SD performance !!!
You should try playing a blueray ... and i bet the picture quality will improve a lot.
The DTH puts in a lot of compression, so only an uncompressed source like BD can give you the maximum quality.

In the initial days, for atleast 100 hours minimum run the TV for atleast 6/8 hours a day and continuously for atleast 2 hours minimum.
Audio is Panasonic's weakest link. Since the models do not allow external speaker connection, and if you do not own an AVR, use the headphone out to
connect to a stereo amp & speakers for enjoying movies and music videos.

I will make sure that I will run it for 6-8 hours a day with 2 hours min run in one go.

In Picture Setting, Advanced,
set refresher rate to 100hz. Resolution Enhancer to "Max", Sidepanel to "High" and enable overscan. Rest to your taste.

Yes all the settings are set as per the above.

Also register you TV with DivX for enabling playing DivX video via USB.
You will find the method in the manual.

Yes I did this yesterday & downloaded 2 movies from Divx site and copied them to USB & they were running fine...especially Full HD clip was mesmerizing :clapping:

If you are using HDMI to connect TATA Sky HD box to your TV, then under Tata Sky/Organiser/User Setting/Sound Setting, set HDMI audio out to PCM.

I am using Airtel Digital TV so not sure about it..Im using HDMI cable.

Thx again Kannan...

Regards
Abhinav

lol....that is why HD is HD ans SD is SD.......
just joking....when you see SD channels in 16.9 mode, it will look a bit out of sorts but you will get used to it.

I am using it in JUST mode...16:9 mode makes the picture wider as per the demo guy..am I using the correct mode?

Thanks
Abhinav

What is your viewing distance? I sit 10ft away from screen. Watching SD channel were much better.

Rajesh,

My living room is approx 22 ft and I have 3 sitting areas from where I watch TV...One at 10 ft, 13 ft and 19 ft...but from all the distances the SD picture(especially faces) arent that sharp....I am using Sharpness as 0 but I have tried it with 100 as well...No noticable difference...

any other clue?

thanks
abhinav

If you are happy with HD, then you can't blame the TV for SD performance !!!
You should try playing a blueray ... and i bet the picture quality will improve a lot.
The DTH puts in a lot of compression, so only an uncompressed source like BD can give you the maximum quality.

Yes Paul..I dont have any issues with HD quality...
I will try Blueray videos on it sometime soon & I anticapate even better results..
Thx much..

tc
abhinav

I am using Airtel Broadband at home with 1 mpbs speed...I have Beetel 450BX1 ADSL2+ Router via which I use Wifi in my laptop to browse internet...I want to use the same wireless router/modem to use for this TV to play pictures, videos from my laptop to the TV wirelessly...
Basically I want to use my laptop as Media Server for this TV...

Can I achieve this goal or do I need to use/install any wireless adapter in the TV? Demo person said that u need to buy a wireless adapter approx Rs. 4000 to perform this action...Is there any cheaper alternative?

Thanks
Abhinav

abhinkoi - you can connect a LAN cable to TV (hope if its feasible) and connect laptop using WIFI. OR if your laptop has HDMI, then you just have to buy HDMI cable.

Hi Friends,

I am going to purchase a Plasma Tomorrow, However still confuse in Pana X30D & Samsung D450. i am getting Pana in 32K at Reliance Digital, Inorbit Mall, Hyderabad & Samsung at 36K at Samsung Plaza, ameerpet. Could you please suggest me which one , should i buy. come pro & cons i found in both as below :

Panasonic P42X30D :
Pro-
1. 3 Year Warranty
2. 4K cheap then Samsung
3. Wifi Ready, Facebook
4. More HDMI & USB, other Ports
5. From Panasonic , Best Plasma Makers
6. SD Card Reader

Cons-
1. Around 6 Kg Heavy Then Samsung
2. Not looks good

Samsung PN43D450 :
Pro-
1. Better Picture Quality
2. 18 Bit Colour Depth
3. 1 inch Extra & 1 inch Thin then Pana
4. looks good
5. Good Gratuation of 262,144
6. PIP

Cons-
1. 4K Costly
2. No Internet, Wifi
3. 1 Year Warranty

Could you please suggest me , For which should i go. I have to purchase tomorrow. Please reply me ASAP. Thanks in advance.
Posting in this tread because u all r the owners of Pana, knowing more reasons & can give best advise based on your expr.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back