Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discussions

manish1283

Hi friends,

I had been searching for a good budget plasma TV for more then a month. I almost fixed Panasonic 42XT50 but due to some reason I didn't buy. Finally I bought my first HDTV Samsung 43E490 a week ago. :yahoo: Now I am ready to give some review. I order this TV 2 weeks ago but due non availability of this TV it came 1 week later on 16 Aug 2012. Till date I am happy with the performance of this TV. This forum also helped me to choose a good TV. Now I am directly come to the review from purchase onward.

My deal was:
Cost of the TV: Rs 44900/-
Offer: One 3D BD player + one 3D BD Movie
Finance: Bajaj finance with one year extented warranty (Rs 2250/-)

Pros:
1. Amazing, crystal clear picture quality on HD channel (Better than any kind of TV).
2. Good picture on SD channel (Better than LCD/LED not better than CRT TV)
3. Sound quality is good enough (Dont expect much from this tinny speaker)
4. A light weight TV with stylish design
5. Colours are so accurate and vibrant
6. It detect any type of popular format with USB pendrive
7. Though it is not designed to detect and read a USB HDD but it detects and read the popular format from the same. (43E470 does not even detect the USB HDD)
8. Power consumption is comparable to LCD TV.

Cons:
1. Reflection is a slight issue. You have to dim the light to reduce the reflection. (Dont buy this TV if you have a very bright room or go with NEO PDP with infinite black panel of Panasonic plasma if your budget allowed)
2. Perfect black is missing.
3. Sometimes it fails to detect the USB HDD and also get automatically disconnected while playing.
4. No manual control.

Here the link where I am attaching some pics of this TV (Shot by Canon 230 HS). Actual pics are better than captured pics. Few pics may contain some vertical line which are actually not visible on TV.

https://plus.google.com/photos/115499665626579706364/albums/5779763537068145185

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for sharing your review.

Have you measured actual power consumption on your TV? What about USB sticks, do they play well without disconnecting?

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for sharing your review.

Have you measured actual power consumption on your TV? What about USB sticks, do they play well without disconnecting?

The theoretical typical power consumption is 115W. I will let you know about exact power consumption. Let my break-in period complete.

Since this TV is not designed to detect and play the content from USB HDD. Sometime this TV detect the HDD but while playing it get automatically disconnected.

What would be the best setting during break in period?

What would be the best setting during break in period?
As a owner of ST50, I did nothing special. I just reduced contrast to 35 (out of 100) and kept "pixel orbiter" on. I did not use break-in slides or rolling bar.

I have completed 210 hours. No IR issues.

As a owner of ST50, I did nothing special. I just reduced contrast to 35 (out of 100) and kept "pixel orbiter" on. I did not use break-in slides or rolling bar.

I have completed 210 hours. No IR issues.

What abut brightness???

How can I check panel usage hour in my TV.

I did not touch the brightness setting. Once I reduced it also, but the picture became too dull.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Can you let me know what is the value of brightness.

Manish, How did this TV compares with panasonic 42XT50?
How is the 3D experiance? How many glasses did you get ?

Manish, How did this TV compares with panasonic 42XT50?
How is the 3D experiance? How many glasses did you get ?

I got 2 3D glasses with this set. when Samsung engineer came to me he had shown LG 3D demo video and it was a nice experience.

I have compared both the TV ( not side by side) while market research.

I had taken a 1080p with DTS codec video file in my Pendrive. Both TV played this video nicely but I felt that Samsung delivered better picture quality with smooth play than Panasonic. I found more feature in Panasonic TV but Samsung picture quality is better than Panasonic.

I have completed 100 h break-in period :clapping:

Hello guys

I recently completed the break-in period of 100 hours (ran it for 150 hrs actually) for my 43e470 and now I can give a decent review of the TV

Pros
1) Looks like a steal for 35.5K . The picture quality is very nice and I am pretty sure that this one is clearly better than the LEDs available for the same price range. Plus 43 inches!!
2) plays anything from USB. Watched a few movies on the TV and loved it. Detected my 500GB USB HDD without any problems too. Guess 1 TB onwards it wont detect or play properly
3) Even SD channels are good. my viewing distance is 6 feet and I don't see any issues when viewed from that distance. beyond six feet , it obviously gets better
4) Sound quality is much better than expected
5) There is a warm color setting (pretty sure this is available in many TVs) that is just amazing for your eyes in the night.

Cons
1) highly reflective panel. Can be used as an alternative to a mirror :lol:. So if there is a window or a tube light directly behind your TV, please don't buy this.
2) USB HDD detection issues (I have not experienced this personally)
3) Location of USB slot. It is behind the TV and I had to use an extension cable for plugging in my USB drives seamlessly

As just4kix and others keep saying, buy plasma and buy the max screen size for your budget. I am happy that I followed their advice till now.

Hello guys

I recently completed the break-in period of 100 hours (ran it for 150 hrs actually) for my 43e470 and now I can give a decent review of the TV

Pros
1) Looks like a steal for 35.5K . The picture quality is very nice and I am pretty sure that this one is clearly better than the LEDs available for the same price range. Plus 43 inches!!
2) plays anything from USB. Watched a few movies on the TV and loved it. Detected my 500GB USB HDD without any problems too. Guess 1 TB onwards it wont detect or play properly
3) Even SD channels are good. my viewing distance is 6 feet and I don't see any issues when viewed from that distance. beyond six feet , it obviously gets better
4) Sound quality is much better than expected
5) There is a warm color setting (pretty sure this is available in many TVs) that is just amazing for your eyes in the night.

Cons
1) highly reflective panel. Can be used as an alternative to a mirror :lol:. So if there is a window or a tube light directly behind your TV, please don't buy this.
2) USB HDD detection issues (I have not experienced this personally)
3) Location of USB slot. It is behind the TV and I had to use an extension cable for plugging in my USB drives seamlessly

As just4kix and others keep saying, buy plasma and buy the max screen size for your budget. I am happy that I followed their advice till now.

Congrats on your purchase :clapping::clapping::clapping:

The Samsung Engineer clearly said the the mother board of E490/E470 is not designed to detect and read the USB HDD. Even in your manual you will find somewhere that USB HDD is not supported. The upper model 51E support USB HDD which is clearly written in Manual/specification.
I have own my 1TB USB HDD and tried with E470 while market research, it didn't even detect. When I tried with E490 it detected the same USB HDD. but when I got it to my home I felt that sometime the USB HDD did not detect. When I call to Samsung Engineer they said the this is not designed to detect. If it is detected that will be your luck. You cannot complain against this. Overall I am happy becoz it PQ is damm good. :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:

The Samsung Engineer clearly said the the mother board of E490/E470 is not designed to detect and read the USB HDD. ............ When I call to Samsung Engineer they said the this is not designed to detect. If it is detected that will be your luck.

Better to obtain a media player, which can play all kinds of files and HDDs. Cost may be around Rs. 5K. I have one asus oplay mini bought for 3.5K one year back. Hence no need to worry about TVs capabilities.

Better to obtain a media player, which can play all kinds of files and HDDs. Cost may be around Rs. 5K. I have one asus oplay mini bought for 3.5K one year back. Hence no need to worry about TVs capabilities.

Agreed. Who cares this little problem. I am watching 99% TV with my Airtel HD with full joy. The TV connect with Pendrive with NO Problem and USB HDD with Little Problem. Overall NO Problem.

I am watching 99% TV with my Airtel HD with full joy.

Did you have any experience with videocon HD? its PQ ?. Some people say that videocon HD is better. I am yet to decide whether to upgrade my airtel SD to HD or go for videocon HD.

read in a different thread in stb threads area only tatasky gives DD via hdmi...airtel and dish can do it via spdif...but others dont actually send DD...they fool us customers by false marketing..
so if plan for a STB change..do it carefully.
as I have tatasky hd my avr detects DD flawlessly.....

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back