panasonic 60cx700d my new tv

drkavint

hi,
i purchased 60 inch 700d model panasonic for 2 lakh with 2 glasses and 3 years warrenty . its been a month , since i wanted to play around then post review, i took long gap. next few days i will be posting review.. my old tv was 51 inch plasma 1080p samsung.. many people will still remember me for the hype about whether it has hdmi 1.4 or hdmi 1.3(51d550 samsung)
its time to tear down 4k panasonic....

Congrats Drkavint for new bigger TV. Waiting to read your feedback about its PQ, specially black level compared to Your plasma. The model 49Cx700d is in my radar, but not yet decided. Your input will definitely help me.

My selection of plasma vs led was a challenge 3 years ago, plasma was slowly Dying, while led was budding, I took a decision to plasma..
This time manufacturers left me no choice. There is no 2k tv above 55 inch,..We are forced into 4k whether you want or not.. Its tooooooo bad
No 4k bluray, no true 4k broadcast, no 4k 60fps Cam(entry level), and no 4k gaming console..
Its really interesting to see manufacturer yet market and convenience consumers for 4k at below 50 inch..
I wouldn't have taken panasonic if I had seen sony 50inch w950 (bought for my living room at price of 1.25lakh - half the price I paid for my 60 inch 4k),I planned to write review of sony first, but when it is the ultimate in feature and of clarity it doesn't need any review.
Just buy and enjoy sony w950
Its the best ur money can get you at 2k
.forget 1.25 Lakhs its worth every paise

Coming to panasonic its a hit and miss.i dreamed to get professional display especially samsung with no tv features but ultimate clarity and 3 years warranty, but here I got panasonic ultimate! (circastic or Hopefully) tv with 3 years warranty..
A tv with superb brightness, superb sharpness, but weaker contrast...i literally cried I wasted 2 Lakhs on this idiot box when I watched movie on sonyw950..colors are too mild lacked punch of sony.
Alas I realised that I decided this tv for professional display not mere tv..[ oh God iam not a engineer or cartoonist or do work with photoshop) but wanted a TV which can display true colour not a punchy

i believe I was tuned into this because of technology forums than my likings..yes hifivision also responsible for setting my mind..

Panasonic is truly an professional display.. Its adjustment and finetune features are beyond my reach, believe its too much for even the one who executes professional calibration.
Guys do you remember A tv series 300 Mysterious theater, where a guy is forced to view all sci-fi movies, I feel rhis tv should be given to all tech savy guys who loves calibration.. They will surely go mad with tuning.i will go mad if I talk about this. Ofcourse iam adding pictures of this feature..
First Iets talk bad things.
No headphone jack...what! Yes I dreamed of connecting my audiotechnia m50x...oh no...pay 2 lakh and no audio out..
No Bluetooth headset...what! Yes will accept only mouse and keyboard not audio out...My plab to buy Sony Bluetooth headset also flop.
Mmmm it has optical out and support ARC..
happily conneted my onkyo to arc..wow it works..
Did I say I will talk about negative first! Oh then add this it doesnot recognise nor does passthrough DTS...WHAT? No wonder why panasonic is out of race..
Firefox os...Yeh it is smooth and fast..yes, when u dont have any application even android is fast..only support application I got is yepptv, box tv.. No good games, no suppoet for controllers, no app except Skype and facebook..
Screen mirroring takes long time.tv .can only receive from phone or tab.no output display like tizen samsung.
Dlna play wow works, just send a picture u take bath and come u will see on TV..
Wow it has 3usb my goodness I can play mp3. Yes but remember to call electronic waste disposal guy before u listen, for you will surely break rhe tv in frustration for lowest volume u can get...Keep volume at 50 meowing can be heard.. [May be i should not have purchased sonyw950 with duct speakers..],, sound is too low. But has lovely equaliser, bass treble, balance, auto volume leveller. as well as 5 modes..useless as u will never use speakers. Everytime ur frustration will increase if u tune audio..
Lets come to last but least PICTURE QUALITY..
no punchy colours, poor contrast..light Bleeding at corners.. Worst for night watching if u compare to plasma.. No HDR support.. No Dynamic contrast.. Not true 4k ready without hdr and dynamic contrast..{ guys negatives first),
3D is ultimate
Yes Ultimate FLOP. WORST SHARPNESS. Worst with blur of background.. Horrible experience till now..hopefully update comes up
No 4K 3d support only 1080P 3D..
I have more than 20 3D bluray and 30 3D bluray iso..all rendered useless by panasonic.. One of the reason for me choosing panasonic than samsung was passive 3d..same samsung 6 series had no 3D at same price..i feel should hAve gone samsung as..
1.tizen support 2way mirroring
2.Dts support
3.Hdr and contrast dynamic may be added via software update or by evolution kit[atleast 7 series]
4. Good sound, headphone output. Bluetooth headset.
5.better contrast and punchy colours. If not like sony atleast better than panasonic
My advice for anyone with short temper is never let them use tv speaker and never connect 3d bluray output. U will surely break tv..or u may get heart attack as how ur hard-earned money has fetched an useless idiot box.

least and the last.. i hate the tv wall mount they provided me. useless one.. its outdated with no adjustments. when u see sony and samsung, this simple stand alone will tell you why people prefer brands and the brand value.

Now forget negatives lets talk why 2 lakh price is worth and of my choice.. In part 2 review.

Good review specially on PQ, i was about to buy Panasonic 60 inch full HD TV, all my payment formalities was done and was about to pick the TV when my mom want to see bluray clip to feel clarity (i should have done this before my payment), to my surprise i was jawed on how bad contrast was and it was yellow tint every where, PQ was worst compared to my benQ 27" PC monitor. I got refund on spot and decided not to go for this brand ever. Would like to hear good part of your review as well.

I wouldn't have taken panasonic if I had seen sony 50inch w950 (bought for my living room at price of 1.25lakh.

Now forget negatives lets talk why 2 lakh price is worth and of my choice.. In part 2 review.

You like Sony 50 W950 more than Panasonic 60 cx700d in colour reproduction and contrast. How do you rate both in dark room viewing specially in black level?

Also will wait for your part 2 review.

This is my part 2 review of cx700d.
Having looked at cons of tv. It's time to look into pros
1.setup
Its too simple and rocks. I don't use cable or dth, rather use this in my bedroom with onkyo 7.1 receiver and kdlinks media player, pc with hd 7700 graphics, sony bluray USA region, samsung bluray Indian region and xbox360.
Wifi easy to set up. U got an interesting feature where u can pin any input to home menu. Tv starts into last used hdmi...u can rename any input. Arc is disabled but once u turn viera link on, it starts. Though tv is accompanied by horrible wall mounting stand,the side hdmi,usb inputs are still accessible unless ur hand is too fat..if your hand is thin then u can reach cable plug too.
Its sad that my sony w950 start every time into home screen of android.you need to select input to watch dth.Happy with panasonic, its simple and easy. U can also pin your favourite channel or usb or particular video from usb to home screen.Good interesting and useful feature.. U can also pin application too. I use yupp tv and youtube..
Sony W950 is too irritating and everytime selection of input is very problematic for old age..since videocon Dth does not support IR Blaster its m9re troublesome.

2.yahoo! It has 3 hdmi inputs and all 3 are hdmi 2.0...samsung has not specified all inputs are 2.0. Though my samsung plasma had hdmi1.4, it never supported Arc, just supported 3d...i think panasonic is better this way with 2.0..support.

3. I use pc a lot and a lot, this tv has amazing setup where u can set rgb control as auto, full, normal.it does have cr mode..
Something which made me to realize that hdr can be tuned by pc to output on TV..
Since it will take another 4 to 5 years for me to buy 4k bluray affordable.. It took 4 years for blu ray for mass..nowonly we get bluray pirated and second sale for 150 rs. Still original cost 1000 to 1500..so we can think how much 4k will cost for next few years..
Most of movies or tv series never release in india. We look for torrents to quench our thirst..imagine if u want to see goosebumps original tv series or Uncut game of thrones or xfiles or Firefly only possible way in india is torrents. So will be 4k content also.. So i personally feel pc vlc or gom or bsplayer [I dont prefer powerdvd. But iam 100% sure powr dvd will be first player to encode and decode hdr] will eventually update and will be outputting via hdmi 2.0..
So tv will be future proof if u use pc..

3.after introduction of chromecast no one looks at operating system and features. Iam sure panasonic realise it and so gives us 3 usb ports with one being usb3 o. Iam not sure mhl will work but its good to see 3usb, one I keep my 8gb with 4k demo videos.since my xperia z2 connects wireless with pc, I use pc and its wireless mouse to stream video or display images.though tv is standby mode my mobile gets charged via tv usb.nice. U can stream content present on TV usb to your tab or android phone via panasonic tv remote2 app. So u need not unplug usb and again use otg cable to watch from usb plugged into tv..its an usefull feature I liked. since I use pc with 12 usb ports an feature which is present but not useful to me is that, u can copy usb to usb via tv..if u want to copy video from friend's usb to urs, just plug in and copy via tv.

i still have not tried voice control remote yet, although touch pad remote is lovely to look and use.i dont use panasonic remote also,instead i use logitech which is far better than any company remotes.

now we come to most important aspect PICTURE QUALITY
panasonic cleverly markets ips lcd for malaysia, india and va panel for us, uk.
why?
india and malaysia home tv is watched by family and in us uk its watched by person(s)
i.e.
india people prefer large screen to occupy living room, where mom and dad will sit infront , son will sit on sofa, kids will peep from study room while daughter will watch from kitchen.. so you need a wider view angle, which only ips can deliver.
economy of 3d glass is major role which has made lg some gain into these markets 3d for mass is the aim. va panel supports active glasses, while ips supports passive..
so panasonic is choosy..
quality of blacks gets a hard hit with ips, but
most of indians complain about any tv is that it's not very bright or picture is too dark...indians prefer punchy colors and brighter images.. does panasonic deliver?
no.. no..no.
picture is bright but color adjustments are tied to contrast than brightness, so it takes a bad punch..
my view:
i was happy with samsung plasma, but wished for two changes:
want dark black but not so dark like plasma..
want a tv which is neither too bright or eye straining.( i use tv as monitor,,i sometimes sit too close by just an arm distance ((as like/of now)) and use for typing/ reading sites like gsmarena, surfing for good torrents to download. or searching youtube).. though i use samsung tabs10.5 more for browsing, still use tv as monitor for at least 1 hour a day
sitting very close to plasma was eye straining, no matter how much you reduce brightness, deep contrast causes strain while reading/browsing

although i prefer dark blacks some of the details in many movies were missed by me bcoz of deep dark..
a person hiding in shadows were never visible as even mild dark areas were pitch dark. i used gom player to tune images such that i decrease contrast and increase brightness
guys just look at ipad screen and tab s10.5 screen, i have both, amoled is punchy color superb , but in dark areas same problem, i use screen adjuster software and need to tune down contrast level. you can see the differences in some review videos:(i personally experience it)
so i wanted low black levels.. but to my horror it was too low, worst contrast .. it took nearly 2 days to go through reviews and personal adjustments to tune black levels to okay level..
even in final i accept this tv has low black level than samsung and sony but can be fine tuned for average..
then now a challenge task was contrast.. it was too bad, i tried all default modes , no use.adjusted in gom player, pc, bluray.. nop no no.
dont know what to do with such bad performance tv..
i thought to write a review to warn others not to buy this tv ..fortunately this changed around 5 days back..
i planned to watch game of thrones in hd dts print, just played it via my kdlink media player, out of frustration i tried to adjust video settings in the kdlink while the series was playing..( i tried adjusting it with plasma, got a horrible nightmare, as even a small adjustment increased brightness and contrast around 20 folds), instead of increasing brightness( the only adjustment i sometime make, while watching on samsung plasma), i tried to increase contrast to +2-+6( maximum is +/-20)ooops i cried in joy, tears rolled out.yureka i purchased the BEST TV IN 2015..
my goodness punchy colors, superb details, highly bright panel what else to ask for..
so realised.
panasonic has best panel, but what lacks is software adjustment of input picture,,, i think sony x reality and samsung octo core does wonders by finetuning input picture by software and not a hardware,, so if i could fine tune my input such a way i can get the best picture rather than better picture
then the game began
guys please give some time/ break.. since i want to give a insight and deep review, iam taking bit long
i will continue tomorrow...

Hi amit , i am planning to get 49cx700, from the review so far i think what you are saying is , if this screen is calibrated through service menu , its the best PQ TV ? Or am i getting it wrong ?

Since i am going for replacing my dead Plasma Panny , i have almost agreed with panasonic service to start the work on refund and replace the tv with 49cx700. What would you advice in that scenario ? shall i go for the cx700 series or stay out of it ?

I am not a guy who loves LCDish PQ , i am one who prefers more colors fine tuned for movies...

Waiting for your review to continue. Please add some pictures of your tv too.

It's a tv for professionals not for entertainment, it's a tv which perfectly suits for those who want natural colours , not for those who want vivid and punchy. Compared to plasma, this tv lacks too far behind in colours, but again this is upto individual preference. While watching cartoon I really miss my plasma, but when I watch dark background movies like gravity, the details which are grey shade ( these were totally black in plasma and I could not see them) appeared neatly.darker than black does take a set back, I hardly find darker than black screen materials , it's rather grey , shades of black are looking beautiful...
Knowing the trick of increasing contrast ratio in the input signal ( my pc, kd links media player, Sony bluray:theater mode, Samsung bluray) I did get a beautiful picture.. now I tried to adjust other settings in tv...
The contrast level I set was 70, backlit tuned to 50, sharpness to 30, I tried to increase brightness from zero ( it's set at midway, the range was negative to positive), yuk the blacks went washed out totally.... ohhh I reset picture then started to decrease from zero to negative 15,,,,this was the setting to tune tv to plasma mode...

yes the picture looked ugly, blacks washed out, colorless ..... all due to over bright panel...once we decrease brightness, I noticed this is the best u can get in any 4k tv...8i havenot seen 8 series, but now I am ready to challenge my tv against any sony or Samsung. ..

What a picture, nice blacks, natural colours, deep depth, yes now I could proudly say I am owner of best tv... I really don't know why many reviewers never decreased brightness, nor does the demo guys,,, it's the super bright panel real culprit...
Now let's compare panasonic to samsung and Sony. ..
Samsung va panel gives beautiful contrast ratio, yes better than panasonic and Sony, but poorer brightness. Also picture is never sharp, always with noise reduction....
Sony gives better punchy colours than others, but I did notice that colors and contrast makes tv unwatchable at shorter distance, watch it from far it's the best u can get..I do love sony for punchy colours especially when u watch Indian movies and cartoons,, but when it comes to English movies, the colors too punchy is eyestraining... the original colors of matrix green and navy blue are lost, rather u get grass green and deep blue..
Trees , cartoons, looks beautiful but rains, wet grey, cements, black coats looks very much Unnaturally brightened...but once u decrease contrast and colour settings, Sony does looks better, but tuning sony seems very easy but fine tuning is very difficult. Colours and contrast ratio are nearly tied up, one fine tuning needs another fine tuning. .
Samsung and Sony are best for evening watching TV, they look beautiful in dim and dark lit rooms, but panasonic shines the best in bright lit rooms, with wider area of watching. The panel is ultra bright makes it shine in day, but u need to completely change settings or picture mode for night watching..
Let's conclude with
What is so classic in panasonic
1.adjustment of individual settings like brightness or contrast or colour never affects each other...
2. Very good black level for a non plasma TV ( please note this is after I changed brightness to negative level)
3. Tuning is difficult but once u tune , fine tuning is very easy and u would enjoy it as every +1 causes minimal changes. ,,,unlike sony where +1 in colour will be +2 in contrast,+1 colour and +1 in brightness. ., so if u want to change individual settings this tv is the best.
4. Too natural colours, it's a classic professional display, an excellent to watch English movies and if u really want to enjoy cartoons, have a peak at this tv, u will realise that how u have been fooled by other tvs till now. .. cartoon colours looks too natural, u get to see the sand and beach colours which u had been using in your water paintings. This sand colours were looking like bright red tinted in samsung and Sony...It's rather yellow tinted,my god how natural is this ... but take the natural colours with a pinch of salt, because cartoons will not be bright and shiny (they become punchy if colour is set above 70, but at 40 to 50, it's more natural).. cartoon will really look like a cartoon and we can differentiate grades of colour, how to jerry outer ear is darker than inner ear, how Tom tail has different shades of colour, how many layers of sand has been painted in beach cartoon...

For some people they may feel this tv will force them to loose interest in cartoon, some may love it, as cartoon appears like cartoon....
I watched The Mist, The happening, movies, I enjoyed them as far as colour is concerned...blacks are beautiful but u need to tune the brightness..

SO, when I conclude I rank the following as best..
1. Colours are not vibrant but natural, the best for watching English movies..I enjoy watching all dark, scifi movies,,,,but as far as tamil and hindu movies I prefer sony
2. Too much of sharp picture, I keep sharpness as 10 to 20, it's as good as 50 in samsung and Sony.
3. Contrast adjustment. Really makes you realise what is contrast in real terms.. adjustment does not relate brightness level or makes a change in colour levels, I don't know how they achieved this super speciality. I think they tried manufacturering professional display and ended up in this tv

I just downloaded 4k 2160p video of the new codec H. 265, dare devil tv series, I tried playing it via USB ( all my input has been 1080p only).. I realised that such a resolution is not at all necessary , the stripes in shirts are visible, its a treat for eyes...its better than what u see naturally...4k truly redifines the content we watch...i am sure 4k will rule hd out....
In the picture I did notice high noise level, yet the sharpness is too good, I don't know about hdr and dynamic contrast but I am dead sure this tv will never need them.. u cannot get a better display, when u r eyes cannot recognise it...hdr will make a difference in sony for sure as contrast adjustment is not fine tuned in sony, here everything is perfect, u need to set according to your preferences. .
Speakers were too low, I did complain ,today when I downloaded 2160p dare devil, I also downloaded tamil mp3 song from "Asai "= ajith movie at 320kpbs, thought to try and listen......wow the stereo output is at par with bose. ..it need right input to shine.. however I still say and admit the quality of high resolution music may be toooo good yet the volume levels are too low.. u need minimum level of 30 to 45 to be audible rich enough, while sony it is 5 to 8 and samsung 5 to 10... so i planned to never use this tv speakers ..

I really miss Bluetooth wireless headset option, since it does not have aux out or audio out or headphone jack, I am totally helpless... I need to buy digital to analogue converter for extracting audio out from optical, or need to look for avr with Bluetooth headphone output one...

This tv has good display but lacks all gimmick of samsung like curved display,tv mirroring,richer contrast. ..
It also lacks punchy colours of sony and Sony clear audio sound system,
The picture quality is amazingly professional, hassle free simple software (sony android is worst),u get the best but need to tune into the best...
I never laid hands on calibration settings and always turned off noise reduction, turned off white balance, turned off colour offset settings, turned off intelligent frame creation, turned off adaptive back light, turned off mpeg filter, turned off contrast level settings,these are beyond my knowledge to tune them.god knows what panasonic is hiding in them.i prefer adjusting the known devil than unknown angel at least for now. May be when true 4k contents available i may try fine tuning these..
Any one who goes for demo please tune down brightness level and sharpness,the audio level is too low, but picture is superb..
Coming from plasma I enjoy real natural colours and good shades of grey, but what I disliked here was that there are a around 4 to 5 areas of bright light along the panel, they are not noticeable during day time, but in the night they are bit distracting, this resembles like spot light spreading light onto tv... I did notice this in sony too but was minimal, may be due to extra large size I am able to visualise this Ununiform brightness of led... until oled gets cheaper at present this is the best tv in 4k to watch without hdr and dynamic contrast.... Sony and samsung can outshine this tv if hdr comes up, but when 4k content is so scarce,it may take 4 to 5 years for hdr to be implemented for masses. .

I just want to add few words, please don't get fooled by words like 1080p is enough, 4k not necessary. ...the amount of sharpness, colours, details what u get in 4k is ultimate as of now...
Comparing 1080p and 4k is like comparing cassette tape recorder and audio cd...
The changes are amazing, I am really waiting to upgrade my hd7700 graphics with gtx 970 to get best of my tv..so , if u want to upgrade from plasma my preference is
First 4k sony, then 4k panasonic then 2k samsung...
Sony first because many will not like the natural look of panasonic, and prefer watching regional movies than English movies and gaming...
However u want to watch most pleasant, non eye straining, natural like viewing experience, don't mind setting two picture modes , one for day and another for night, want the best in gaming, have time to fine tune display settings please go for panasonic.. but remember how best ur input is u get the best of panasonic...I suggest minimum input to be 1080p, no 480i or dvd..
Suppose u want to watch dvd, please use graphic card in pc to upscale or ur bluray to upscale, for panasonic is poor in upscaling, Sony is best..
For plasma upgrades, this tv will be totally different.. its an untamed beast, it's upto you to tame it ....this tv can be like ur plasma as well as like led, tune it to know it personally..

Nice review drkavint. Thanks.

If one watches Hollywood Bluray (1080) movies in dark room (with thick curtain fully covering the windows and light off) and prefer natural colour (rather dislike the extra vivid colour of Sony), can his eyes be satisfied with this CX700D TV, if he is used to watch Panasonic V series plasma?

Net net, how do you rate Cx700D TV w.r.t. Panasonic V series plasma to watch Hollywood movies in dark room viewing? My query is only related to PQ.

PLASMA VS panasonic 4k
1. panasonic gives more natural colour than plasma.
2. in dark room i find panny less eye straining , especiallly while using as monitor i sit very close, panasonic better(may be due to 4k)
3. i never enjoyed shades of grey in plasma.(plasma grey= black= jet black), so much of details were lost, even in movies where a tank or godzilla moves, half the tank/ godzilla was black, due to its own shadow, which was output as jet black in plasma, here i can see the godzilla as grey, than black
4. sharpness , brightness is better here, but slightly poor contrast.
this is best for english movies... but many fear that colors are too bad... no its not the case.. please see the photos,
input is 1080p kdlink media player, i have adjusted contrast in the media player +2, brightness=0, hue=0. just slightly tuned contrast ..i have played tamil song, hindi song, shot at different viewing angles, its taken at 4 p.m, with windows open...
just see for settings, features, in back ground u can see the colors too....

thanks for the review.

I owned , now dead plasma , and i really loved the natural colors . Also IIRC pansonic always wanted to stick their TV setting as close to professional grade colors than other brands.

Also did you try to set the setting in service menu or usual menu ? Coz under service menu , you can change a lot and you should get some calibrated value for this TV for best color reproduction.

all service menu are open to users. i feel it should have been hidden, from rgb range to hdcp type, including pure4k, individual colors adjustment.. all open, apperas as advanced option. 10 point calibration also acessable, what cute is that except game mode, individual preferences can be stored in all picture modes.

thats nice.

Did you find the right calibrated values for cx700 ? If so please post. My cx700 will arrive next week or so.

Thanks drkavint for posting your feedback on Panasonic CX700d vs plasma. It will definitely help me to decide my TV.

Also, please post the calibrated values of cx700d, as requested by Navin, because most probably I am going to land in cx700 stable.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back