Panasonic Ae8000 price in India - URGENT

srinivas1015

I'm currently in looking to purchase a good 1080p 3D projector to replace my 720p 3D Optoma HD67. I have a 160inch screen.
I'm currently leaning towards the Panasonic 8000u as brightness,black levels and most of all, image sharpness is important to me. I'm glad to see that this projector even has a Detail Enhancement feature.

Here's the quotes I have so far:

Panasonic AE7000

1)Amazon - 2400$ (1.3 lakhs) including shipping. Customs not included.
2)Lazer Office Automation - 1.5 lakhs excluding tax (Chennai- 044-65621629)

Panasonic AE8000
1)Amazon - 2900$ (1.5 lakhs) including shipping. Customs not included.
2)Lazer Office Automation - 1.9 lakhs excluding tax (Chennai- 044-65621629)

Can you guys please give me more places I can buy? My budget is around 1.2 lakhs and would like to buy in India as Amazon might be risky. Especially if I get charged customs again.
Please advise.

I don't know where you can get the panasonic cheaper but am pretty sure you can't get it anywhere close to 1.2 L in India considering it costs way more in US itself.

Btw, any specific reason you chose ae8000 over the epson tw8100 (epson 5020 in US)? The only advantages panasonic has are motorized zoom and focus and its slightly better at gaming (about 20ms faster than epson, unnoticeable to most gamers except maybe hardcore/professional gamers). As far as picture quality is concerned, both are extremely similar. Epson actually is better than panasonic but I doubt anyone other than expert reviewers will be able to notice the difference. Check out the comparison between the two The Epson Home Cinema 5020 Projector Compared to the Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector

I bought it for 1.3L in delhi (tax inclusive, 2yr manufacturer warranty) about a month ago and now its reported to be available for as low as 1.23L.

I don't know where you can get the panasonic cheaper but am pretty sure you can't get it anywhere close to 1.2 L in India considering it costs way more in US itself.

Btw, any specific reason you chose ae8000 over the epson tw8100 (epson 5020 in US)? The only advantages panasonic has are motorized zoom and focus and its slightly better at gaming (about 20ms faster than epson, unnoticeable to most gamers except maybe hardcore/professional gamers). As far as picture quality is concerned, both are extremely similar. Epson actually is better than panasonic but I doubt anyone other than expert reviewers will be able to notice the difference. Check out the comparison between the two The Epson Home Cinema 5020 Projector Compared to the Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector

I bought it for 1.3L in delhi (tax inclusive, 3yr manufacturer warranty) about a month ago and now its reported to be available for as low as 1.23L.

Thanks for the info :) .

Yeah, I had looked into it yesterday but I have one main concern -
Seeing how I have a 150inch screen and sit around 9 feet away. will the image be as sharp as an HDTV despite being blown up to that size? It would really suck if the picture is soft. One thing I see that the Panasonic has is the Detail Clarity Enhancement feature.

Without detail clarity enhancement:

pt-ar100u_menu_detail_clarity_0_large.jpg

With detail clarity enhancement:

pt-ar100u_menu_detail_clarity_6_large.jpg

As far as focus is concerned, when you remove the lens cap on your Epson, does the focus ring get disturbed? I don't want to re adjust the focus every time I put on and remove the lens cap. That's the only reason I prefer motorised focus. I have no need for lens memory as I have a 16:9 screen.
One other point is that the Panasonic allows you to adjust the image separation/parallax when watch 3D. This may come in handy when watching weaker 3D films like The Amazing Spider-Man.

But after reading the price you posted, I'm really considering the Epson.May I ask where you bought it from? Maybe they have a branch in Chennai..

Seeing how the Epson and Panasonic are priced almost the same in the US, maybe I can find a place willing to sell it for around 1.4lakhs?

I bought it for 1.3L in delhi (tax inclusive, 3yr manufacturer warranty) about a month ago and now its reported to be available for as low as 1.23L.

I posted a long reply but it's awaiting moderator approval :( .

The reason I went with the Panasonic is that you get to adjust the 3D image separation/parallax. This can come in handy when watching a movie with weak 3D like the Amazing Spiderman. Is there a lens cap provided with the Epson? The only reason I like the motorised focus is cos I don't want to readjust the focus everytime I put on and remove the lens cap.
Epson's 'Super-resolution' and Panasonic's 'Detail Enhancement' features are the same, right? I'm worried that the image will look soft after being blown up on a 150 inch screen.
May I ask where you bought your Epson from? Maybe they have a branch in Chennai..
I don't really know of any good places where I can buy a projector in Chennai.Any help would be appreciated. I'm considering the Epson now as it's equal/better than the Panasonic and is cheaper.

Apparently, the UK/Indian/Australian version of the Epson 5020 is called Epson TW8100. I almost made my decision but then I read this in the avforums review:

The TW8100 could deliver sharp and detailed images, especially with high definition content but on our large screen the grid structure of the pixels was visible, so it's worth bearing that in mind if you plan on projecting a big image.

Source: Epson TW8100 (EH-TW8100) 3 Chip LCD 1080p 3D Projector Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

The panasonic has smooth screen filters though that help with this.

quote from panasonic review -

One of the major highlights of the Panasonic is the fact it can be used with a large scope screen and with no visible pixel structure thanks to smooth screen technology, it offers a truly stunning immersive cinematic performance.

Source - Panasonic PT-AT6000E 3D LCD Projector Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

Is that true? Can somebody zoom in on the Epson and see if the pixel structure becomes visible on a larger image size? I'm really confused right now about which way to go.

I got an offer of 1.4lakhs including tax for the Panasonic AE7000 with one pair of 3D glasses. An additional pair of third gen glasses is quoted at R.S 6000. I vaguely remember hearing about two pairs for 100$?
What do you guys think of the offer on the projector? Is it a good deal? (It's without bill and warranty though.)

Its a good deal but personally I won't go without bill and warranty. The panasonic's detail clarity engine looks pretty good but don't know how it compares to the epson. It has Super Resolution but that doesn't seem to have as much effect as the pics you posted for panasonic. I'll give it a try again tonight or tomm and will report back if it makes that much of a difference or not.

Epson didn't come with any sort of lens cap. There is an automatic shutter though which comes on once the PJ is shut off to protect the lens from dust etc so didn't think it would need a lens cap. I'll look into this again and report back if it still needs lens cap or not.

For 3d glasses, check the prices on amazon to get a better idea of how it should be priced in India. I'm not sure about it but the panasonic might also support third party glasses. Those should be available for much cheaper. Epson supports third party bluetooth glasses and I got two from samsung for Rs 1700 each (available even cheaper if you buy it from online dealer like Naaptol.com)

I'm using a 133" screen with epson and yes, the pixel structure is visible a closer distance and the image looks soft if I'm standing too close to the screen. Once again I'll have to check it to give you a better idea.

I got my projector from abhi projections in delhi. Many forum members have reported it to be available for the same price as I paid (some even cheaper) in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Don't think you'll have too much problem finding it @ the same price in chennai.

Last edited:
Its a good deal but personally I won't go without bill and warranty. The panasonic's detail clarity engine looks pretty good but don't know how it compares to the epson. It has Super Resolution but that doesn't seem to have as much effect as the pics you posted for panasonic. I'll give it a try again tonight or tomm and will report back if it makes that much of a difference or not.

Epson didn't come with any sort of lens cap. There is an automatic shutter though which comes on once the PJ is shut off to protect the lens from dust etc so didn't think it would need a lens cap. I'll look into this again and report back if it still needs lens cap or not.

For 3d glasses, check the prices on amazon to get a better idea of how it should be priced in India. I'm not sure about it but the panasonic might also support third party glasses. Those should be available for much cheaper. Epson supports third party bluetooth glasses and I got two from samsung for Rs 1700 each (available even cheaper if you buy it from online dealer like Naaptol.com)

I'm using a 133" screen with epson and yes, the pixel structure is visible a closer distance and the image looks soft if I'm standing too close to the screen. Once again I'll have to check it to give you a better idea.

I got my projector from abhi projections in delhi. Many forum members have reported it to be available for the same price as I paid (some even cheaper) in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Don't think you'll have too much problem finding it @ the same price in chennai.

I had enquired about the Epson 5020 but I was told that it wasn't launched in India as of yet. I was told that the Indian equivalent is the TW-8100 priced at 1.5lakhs inclusive of tax.
Do you have any ghosting on your Epson?
Can you please do me a favor? Can you make the image 150inchs and see what it's like from 12 feet away?

At your viewing distance, does the image look as good and as sharp as an HDTV?

The problem is that I don't know any good places in Chennai. :(
Thanks for all your help so far.

Last edited:
No visible ghosting on the epson that I noticed.
Tw8100 is the same as 5020ub except for a couple of image presets (thq & thq 3d mode) present in the 5020, input current (220v vs 110v in 5020) and the fact that 5020 is only for US. Europe and everywhere else tw8100 is sold instead. Hardware is all same as 5020.

Tried the super resolution but it didn't really make the image sharp or anything. I'm not really sure how a 1080p projector/display can improve an image from a 1080p source (bluray). Maybe if you try it with DVDs, it can (atleast technically) improve the PQ. Didnt see much improvement in 1080i tatasky hd channels either. For regular SD TV channels from tatasky which are already ridiculousouly compressed and have visible artifacts even before you try to sharpen it, using the super res only made it worse. Epson has a 0-5 scale for super res. Until 3 there was very little artifacting and the pic did look slightly better (though nothing groundbreaking) but once you turn t to 5 (max), it just gets too messed up to bother with it. Try to get a demo of the panasonic. I still have my doubts if something can really upscale a 1080p source image to somehow look sharper on a 1080p display but if the reviewers say its a real improvement, then maybe it might be worth it. Atleast with epson, its not worth bothering with it.

Using a 133" screen, the pixels are very noticeable at ~4 feet. Until 8 feet, I can still (barely) notice the pixels IF I look hard enough at a non moving section of the image. Otherwise when watching a movie or something else, there's is no way I can notice the pixels. From 15' (the minimum distance I plan to watch the movies from in my new room) or 17' (my current watching distance), everything looks as sharp as you can expect the source to be at that size. ie, 1080p is really really sharp. 720p HdTv is slightly softer in comparison but still very very sharp. Tatasky SD channels are just plain crap when blown upto 110"(as they are 4:3, you get 110" of SD image on a 133" widescreen). Waste of your lamp hours IMHO. DVDs are watchable though nowhere as pleasant as 720/1080p.

After that I zoomed in a bit so that the image is appx 150" diagonal now. Pixels are a bit more visible now. Easily visible upto 5'. Barely noticeable at 10'. Still a little bit noticeable at 12' (you'll have to squint your eyes and focus on a non moving, bright section of the image, or pause the video). It's something I could live with but for that distance, the 150" image is just a bit too big for me. Even my 133" seems too big for 12". 120" would be the perfect size if you are watching it from ~12' IMHO. But since you already are accustomed to watch a 150" screen, I guess it won't be problem for you. The only real way to confirm you won't notice the pixels at all is if you demo the PJ yourself. Though I understand that it probably won't be possible.

About the panasonic being better than epson in this regard, I'm not really sure it'd be a huge improvement. To the best of my knowledge (correct me if it turns out to be incorrect), panasonic sources it's LCD panel for pj from epson itself so not sure how it could be better here. Maybe panasonic is getting a better panel than what epson is putting in its own PJ but that doesn't make sense to me either as why would epson not use the same panel for their own flagship model. Still, anything is possible. If you still feel like panasonic will have better image quality then go for it. At the very least you'll get motorised zoom and focus if nothing else. For me the epson's lower price and still better (or in the worst case, similar) performance along with slightly cheaper bulbs and (reportedly) better after sales service made sure I don't bother with the panasonic :)

I have heard that Panasonic really beats many Epsons not so much in picture quality (though many swear by it) but in features. Think motorized zoom that you can control from your remote - that's priceless. Lens memory (coupled with motorized zoom) is another feature that i have heard is very useful.

Ya Len memory is a really cool feature but then again epson too has a lot of pros that beat the Panny hands down.. Like a automatic lens cover ... In Panny u severely need the lens memory feature coz every time u would put in Len cover & remove it u would have to refocus the lens... Not the case in epson... Also the black lvl performance in the epson is still unbeaten in this price range... The last prob is the price... In the US these both projectors are priced nearly the same thus they are compared so often... Tell them that u have to pay $1200 more for the ae8000 over the 5020UB & see if they still recommend Panny... They would tell u not to touch the ae8000 & go whole heartily for epson... Their reviews are based on the fact that both these projectors have the same cost whereas the reality in India is that they are priced Rs80k apart... Infact I would go as far as to state that the epson 8100 is cheaper here in India vs the US... I really don't see any logical reason to buy the ae8000 other than maybe some recommendation on us/uk based forums & review sites which are not really based on the reality in India...

No visible ghosting on the epson that I noticed.
Tw8100 is the same as 5020ub except for a couple of image presets (thq & thq 3d mode) present in the 5020, input current (220v vs 110v in 5020) and the fact that 5020 is only for US. Europe and everywhere else tw8100 is sold instead. Hardware is all same as 5020.

Tried the super resolution but it didn't really make the image sharp or anything. I'm not really sure how a 1080p projector/display can improve an image from a 1080p source (bluray). Maybe if you try it with DVDs, it can (atleast technically) improve the PQ. Didnt see much improvement in 1080i tatasky hd channels either. For regular SD TV channels from tatasky which are already ridiculousouly compressed and have visible artifacts even before you try to sharpen it, using the super res only made it worse. Epson has a 0-5 scale for super res. Until 3 there was very little artifacting and the pic did look slightly better (though nothing groundbreaking) but once you turn t to 5 (max), it just gets too messed up to bother with it. Try to get a demo of the panasonic. I still have my doubts if something can really upscale a 1080p source image to somehow look sharper on a 1080p display but if the reviewers say its a real improvement, then maybe it might be worth it. Atleast with epson, its not worth bothering with it.

Using a 133" screen, the pixels are very noticeable at ~4 feet. Until 8 feet, I can still (barely) notice the pixels IF I look hard enough at a non moving section of the image. Otherwise when watching a movie or something else, there's is no way I can notice the pixels. From 15' (the minimum distance I plan to watch the movies from in my new room) or 17' (my current watching distance), everything looks as sharp as you can expect the source to be at that size. ie, 1080p is really really sharp. 720p HdTv is slightly softer in comparison but still very very sharp. Tatasky SD channels are just plain crap when blown upto 110"(as they are 4:3, you get 110" of SD image on a 133" widescreen). Waste of your lamp hours IMHO. DVDs are watchable though nowhere as pleasant as 720/1080p.

After that I zoomed in a bit so that the image is appx 150" diagonal now. Pixels are a bit more visible now. Easily visible upto 5'. Barely noticeable at 10'. Still a little bit noticeable at 12' (you'll have to squint your eyes and focus on a non moving, bright section of the image, or pause the video). It's something I could live with but for that distance, the 150" image is just a bit too big for me. Even my 133" seems too big for 12". 120" would be the perfect size if you are watching it from ~12' IMHO. But since you already are accustomed to watch a 150" screen, I guess it won't be problem for you. The only real way to confirm you won't notice the pixels at all is if you demo the PJ yourself. Though I understand that it probably won't be possible.

About the panasonic being better than epson in this regard, I'm not really sure it'd be a huge improvement. To the best of my knowledge (correct me if it turns out to be incorrect), panasonic sources it's LCD panel for pj from epson itself so not sure how it could be better here. Maybe panasonic is getting a better panel than what epson is putting in its own PJ but that doesn't make sense to me either as why would epson not use the same panel for their own flagship model. Still, anything is possible. If you still feel like panasonic will have better image quality then go for it. At the very least you'll get motorised zoom and focus if nothing else. For me the epson's lower price and still better (or in the worst case, similar) performance along with slightly cheaper bulbs and (reportedly) better after sales service made sure I don't bother with the panasonic :)

Thanks again for the info :thumbsup: . Since you have the TW-8100, can you please do me a favour? Can you please give me the edid file so that I can submit it to Nvidia for 3D support for this model? Basically, I use an HTPC as a blu-ray player with an Nvidia graphics card and currently they don't support the Epson TW-8100 but they support the Epson 5010. If I submit the edid file of the TW-8010, they will add support. This is why I'm asking for your help.

Simple instructions here:
How do I know if 3DTV Play supports my 3D TV?

I got a quote for the TW-8100 at 1.35 lakhs including tax. This is a really tempting offer to be honest.

Is convergence an issue? Where the LCD panels are not aligned properly and white text appears as red,green & blue? Like this:

500x1000px-LL-ae6b6846_PT-AE900U_Convergence.jpeg

It will be a major step-up from my current Optoma HD67, right? It's a 720p 3D DLP.

Convergence is an issue but that's something you have to expect on all LCD projectors. The epson seems to be suffering from this a little more than the others though. But you can digitally realign the LCD panels. I actually didn't even notice that convergence on my PJ was off until I remembered reading about this earlier. A closer look (~2 feet away) revealed that it was off by about 0.5-1 pixel each for red and blue. Took me about 10 min to realign the panels and now its pretty much perfectly aligned.

As far as optoma is concerned, it'll certainly be a step up. Only problem would be that DLPs and LCD PJs have a completely different look and feel when it comes to the image produced. Both have their pros and cons but some people seem to prefer DLPs (as long as they aren't RBE sensitive) over LCDs. So I don't really know how you're going to feel about it. For me, Dlp wasn't an option as its a non dedicated room and I needed a lot of placement flexibility. DLPs have much smaller zoom range and lens shift is mostly limited to vertical only in most budget end models. So I didn't even bother with those. As such, I can't really comment if you'll find the picture and colors inferior or superior. Other than that, epson certainly is a major step up in every other regard.

Have you tried contacting epson dealers? Someone has gotta be willing to provide you a demo of the PJ. Maybe tell them you can pay for the demo (say 500-1000 odd bucks) in case you don't like the PJ.

Tw8100 is the same as 5020ub except for a couple of image presets (thq & thq 3d mode) present in the 5020, input current (220v vs 110v in 5020) and the fact that 5020 is only for US.
I didn't know that THX modes are only in 5020 and not in TW8100. Thanks for this information!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back