Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

just4kix

Having used this player for over a month now, I would like to share some of my own thoughts on the capability of the player.

Form factor: The first thing that one will notice with this player is how compact and light it is. I am a previous owner of Sony BDP-S360 (2009 model) and compared to that player, this one is very sleek. Because of this it is so much easy to fit/install anywhere.

Disk Loading time: The BDP is fantastic when it comes to disk loading. I felt it is only marginally slower than a DVDP. My other Sony takes ages to load in comparison. Of course, it is a much older model. But a search on the Internet shows that this Panasonic BDP is one of the fastest when it comes to the time elapsed between popping in the disk, closing the tray and main menu/advert appearing. My test with MI:4 took the player less than 15 seconds to display the menu.

User interface: Panasonic BDPs have a weird user interface. There are icons with small text. One needs to navigate with the cursor keys on remote to highlight. The highlighting of the menu icon is done by a faint sky blue colour that is very hard to distinguish. I had a tough time initially. Only now, I am a little used to it. But overall, the UI is crappy to say the least.

Picture Quality: The PQ of the player is very good. When playing BDs, it really excels. Last weekend while playing Kung Fu Panda 2, I was very pleased to see that colours are very nicely reproduced. I cannot honestly say whether it is the TV (ST50) or BDP that is being so faithful to colours but whoever "the culprit", BDs playback is superb. I watched other BDs also such as MI:4, In the Line of the Fire, Pan's Labyrinth, etc. The last one is one of my favourites to test the black levels. The blacks were smooth and deep. The Burj Dubai scenes in MI:4 were superb in rendering the sky, brown sand, etc.

3D performance: The only 3D movie that I have at the moment is Hugo. Needless to say that the 3D effects were good. But I expect that it is the movie talking. I expect that the player is being very faithful to the 3D content. I have no basis of comparison here.

Upscaling: Now this is where I am most impressed. The only frame of reference I have is the Sony BDP-S360. Compared to the Sony, the Panasonic's upscaling is better - definitely better. I connected both players to the TV and I could feel that Panasonic upscaled a notch of a degree higher. I used The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition. My favourite part of the movie is the opening of the movie in the Shire (just after the introduction) where Bilbo Baggins is writing About Hobbits. The middle earth and the whole Shire makes me want to retire and move there.

Playback compatibility: The specs say a lot of things. The only stuff I tested were donwloaded DVix movies (via USB and burnt to DVD) and 3D-SBS movies. Compared to the DVD upscaling, the DVix (700mb AVIs) upscaling was not that great. The HDD mkv format was supported. So are there any limitations? Well, the player player will not play DVD-Audio and SACD and vinyl records are also out of bounds.

Picture/Sound Settings: The Panasonic BDP has some slew of settings to tinker with colour, gamma, picture noise, chroma processing, etc. This is most welcome for videophiles. I am not one and hence did not play around with the settings much.

Remote: The remote is simple, functional and adequate. One of the biggest complaints that I had with the Sony BDP remote was the lack of tray open/close button. Thankfully this is not missing on the Panasonic remote. Remote can also control some basic functions of the TV (being same brand).

Ports: The player has one HDMI-Out and one Composite AV-Out. There is no component out. There is an optical out but coaxial out is missing. This is a bummer and Sony wins here. Most of their players have all types of ports. There are two USB ports - one in front for media playback and one at the back is for storage, BD-Live downloads, Skype camera, etc. There is also a port for SD card.

Networking: There is an ethernet LAN port for wired connectivity and the player has a built-in wi-fi. This is a big plus. It can connect to Viera Connect and smart Apps. I haven't found much use of networking apart from firware updates and BD-Live. My internet speed is very slow and I rarely ever tried BD-Live (just takes ages).

Region-free: This player can be easily made region free with a firware update from www<dot>firmwareinfo<dot>com. To get the firmware update, you must register there with your Ethernet (wired) MAC-Id and if your registration is accepted, you can request for a firmware update after paying a donation to the website (Paypal only). Refer to the website for further details. The firmware update also unlocks many advanced features for picture and sound settings that enhance effects further. I prefer making the player via firmware update anyday to the hardware mods.

Price: The player sells for around Rs. 12,000. I feel that this price is a bit high than the competition.

Do's and Don'ts: It is worthwhile to make this player region free - so I recommend it. If you have applied the region-free firmware, do not apply the Panasonic offical firmware updates or your region-free capability will be lost. You will have to request fresh firmware again.

Final Word: A bit expensive player. Making it region-free will hike the cost further. However, this is well compensated by the excellent Vision and Sound performance. The upscaling is very good. If I may be so bold, I would say that the upscaling is probably the best in the class. I have not talked about general features such as bitstreaming. I have not tested this for pure Sound either. Overall, highly recommended.

Last edited:
Some pics via Samsung Galaxy S2.

udyverur.jpg

uqudare2.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

just a heads up - I got my BDT-220 from Overstock.com today - thats in 5 days flat (including sat/sunday)

TOTAL cost: 11,100

I almost goofed up and plugged the blu-ray player directly in the power socket. Realised i might need a little transformer

So - overstock.com is my vote for this player

^^ Did you face any problem with the wrong power?

I feel it is not worth getting this player for 11K from abroad when you can get it for around 12K here with bill and warranty.

^^ Did you face any problem with the wrong power?

I feel it is not worth getting this player for 11K from abroad when you can get it for around 12K here with bill and warranty.
That is true enough. The only problem is that it is not readily available everywhere.

Hi just4kix, is it possible to connect external hard disk to BDT220 and play the movies? If yes, how can we navigate the hard drive to select a specific movie.

Hi just4kix, is it possible to connect external hard disk to BDT220 and play the movies? If yes, how can we navigate the hard drive to select a specific movie.

How very strange and conincidental! I was just going to update the review of USB playback capability. So here goes ...

DMP-BDT220 and other Video format playback
I do not have too much downloaded content. I do have some DVix AVI movies that I have successfully legalized by buying their DVD/BD. :) But when I had downloaded stuff, I had burned them to DVD as well. I also have some 3D content in mkv format. So the test is limited to DVix AVI and mkv.

AVI playback from Data DVD: I popped in the DVD that contained the AVIs. The disk started playing immediately and showed me the list of folders. The load time was quick enough. Navigation thru folders was easy and it showed a UI similar to the most media players. Once I clicked on the file, the playback started after a delay of 2-3 seconds. I think I said this before - I was not impressed by the AVI quality (of the typical 700mb movie). I doubt whether any video upscaling was done and if it did, it was certainly not at par, certianly not as good as the original DVD upscaling. The DVix quality on laptop is quite acceptable and good but I guess when displayed on a 50" screen, the artifcats show up. So the rule is proved again - garbage in = garbage out.

USB media stick: I transferred some stuff on 2 GB stick, basically whatever could fit. The USB was read in no time at all. Again the file manager showed up. There were no folders this time. Playback was no problem at all.

HDD playback via USB: Now was the big test. I was going to plug in my 1 TB Seagate disk. This one is internal powered (has one USB jack only). If you refer to my ST50 review (ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.), then therin I said that the ST50 took ages to read the 1 TB disk. But to my surprise and delight, the BDP read the disk instantly. It showed the file structure, folders including the non-video folders. The ST50 TV does not show folders; instead it shows all video material only:
  • if you choose, photos, it shows all photos only
  • if you choose video, it shows videos only
  • etc.

So in effect ST50 (or any Panasonic TV) scans the USB disk for specific types of files, determines if it can play them and then displays them. That is why it takes a long time. The BDP on the other hand displays all folders. Under the folder it shows playable media only (based on the extension I suppose). This is much better. And quicker.

It played mkv file immediately (with a delay of 2-3 seconds) and I never expected AVI/Dvix to face problems any way.

So a big :thumbsup: to USB playback capability of this BDP. Another reason to buy, I suppose.

Just to add to this.
I gifted a cheap yamaha htb(21k) to my cousin who recently bought 46hx850.
I also wanted to gift him a 3d bd player.I got him samsung player which was around 11k.
I was testing my s360 vs samsung bdp on this htib. The sound was very bad with samsung.Sony s360 was way ahead.
I gladly gave it to my senior in office for 8k.Just wanted to get rid of it.
Then I got pana 220 from ebay.in.
I connected it to the htib.I enabled sound re-master option in it.
The sound was so muscular and clear that I for a while thought that my pioneer amp found a rival in this cheap htib.
But out of the box without any calibration, I felt that the pictures were little darker on hx850.Sony s360 image was brighter.Again,this is to individual taste.

Having used this player for over a month now, I would like to share some of my own thoughts on the capability of the player.

Form factor: The first thing that one will notice with this player is how compact and light it is. I am a previous owner of Sony BDP-S360 (2009 model) and compared to that player, this one is very sleek. Because of this it is so much easy to fit/install anywhere.

Disk Loading time: The BDP is fantastic when it comes to disk loading. I felt it is only marginally slower than a DVDP. My other Sony takes ages to load in comparison. Of course, it is a much older model. But a search on the Internet shows that this Panasonic BDP is one of the fastest when it comes to the time elapsed between popping in the disk, closing the tray and main menu/advert appearing. My test with MI:4 took the player less than 15 seconds to display the menu.

User interface: Panasonic BDPs have a weird user interface. There are icons with small text. One needs to navigate with the cursor keys on remote to highlight. The highlighting of the menu icon is done by a faint sky blue colour that is very hard to distinguish. I had a tough time initially. Only now, I am a little used to it. But overall, the UI is crappy to say the least.

Picture Quality: The PQ of the player is very good. When playing BDs, it really excels. Last weekend while playing Kung Fu Panda 2, I was very pleased to see that colours are very nicely reproduced. I cannot honestly say whether it is the TV (ST50) or BDP that is being so faithful to colours but whoever "the culprit", BDs playback is superb. I watched other BDs also such as MI:4, In the Line of the Fire, Pan's Labyrinth, etc. The last one is one of my favourites to test the black levels. The blacks were smooth and deep. The Burj Dubai scenes in MI:4 were superb in rendering the sky, brown sand, etc.

3D performance: The only 3D movie that I have at the moment is Hugo. Needless to say that the 3D effects were good. But I expect that it is the movie talking. I expect that the player is being very faithful to the 3D content. I have no basis of comparison here.

Upscaling: Now this is where I am most impressed. The only frame of reference I have is the Sony BDP-S360. Compared to the Sony, the Panasonic's upscaling is better - definitely better. I connected both players to the TV and I could feel that Panasonic upscaled a notch of a degree higher. I used The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition. My favourite part of the movie is the opening of the movie in the Shire (just after the introduction) where Bilbo Baggins is writing About Hobbits. The middle earth and the whole Shire makes me want to retire and move there.

Playback compatibility: The specs say a lot of things. The only stuff I tested were donwloaded DVix movies (via USB and burnt to DVD) and 3D-SBS movies. Compared to the DVD upscaling, the DVix (700mb AVIs) upscaling was not that great. The HDD mkv format was supported. So are there any limitations? Well, the player player will not play DVD-Audio and SACD and vinyl records are also out of bounds.

Picture/Sound Settings: The Panasonic BDP has some slew of settings to tinker with colour, gamma, picture noise, chroma processing, etc. This is most welcome for videophiles. I am not one and hence did not play around with the settings much.

Remote: The remote is simple, functional and adequate. One of the biggest complaints that I had with the Sony BDP remote was the lack of tray open/close button. Thankfully this is not missing on the Panasonic remote. Remote can also control some basic functions of the TV (being same brand).

Ports: The player has one HDMI-Out and one Composite AV-Out. There is no component out. There is an optical out but coaxial out is missing. This is a bummer and Sony wins here. Most of their players have all types of ports. There are two USB ports - one in front for media playback and one at the back is for storage, BD-Live downloads, Skype camera, etc. There is also a port for SD card.

Networking: There is an ethernet LAN port for wired connectivity and the player has a built-in wi-fi. This is a big plus. It can connect to Viera Connect and smart Apps. I haven't found much use of networking apart from firware updates and BD-Live. My internet speed is very slow and I rarely ever tried BD-Live (just takes ages).

Region-free: This player can be easily made region free with a firware update from www<dot>firmwareinfo<dot>com. To get the firmware update, you must register there with your Ethernet (wired) MAC-Id and if your registration is accepted, you can request for a firmware update after paying a donation to the website (Paypal only). Refer to the website for further details. The firmware update also unlocks many advanced features for picture and sound settings that enhance effects further. I prefer making the player via firmware update anyday to the hardware mods.

Price: The player sells for around Rs. 12,000. I feel that this price is a bit high than the competition.

Do's and Don'ts: It is worthwhile to make this player region free - so I recommend it. If you have applied the region-free firmware, do not apply the Panasonic offical firmware updates or your region-free capability will be lost. You will have to request fresh firmware again.

Final Word: A bit expensive player. Making it region-free will hike the cost further. However, this is well compensated by the excellent Vision and Sound performance. The upscaling is very good. If I may be so bold, I would say that the upscaling is probably the best in the class. I have not talked about general features such as bitstreaming. I have not tested this for pure Sound either. Overall, highly recommended.

Does your player play .Avi files?? I can't get this thing to recognise .Avi files (from USB) at all - sure i can stream them through Serviio for mac but quality suffers......

Does your player play .Avi files?? I can't get this thing to recognise .Avi files (from USB) at all - sure i can stream them through Serviio for mac but quality suffers......
Yes. AVI playback was no problem at all. See post # 10.

BTW and offtopic, Have you made this player region free?

Yes. AVI playback was no problem at all. See post # 10.

BTW and offtopic, Have you made this player region free?

No - Not yet. Didn't feel the need to unlock it. It plays the Region 1 blu-rays I bought off ebay ($2-5) perfectly - thats all I needed because you can really build your collection fast with picking up used blu-ray flicks from ebay US but they are mostly locked to region 1. So i can buy blu-rays in India or Amazon or ebay - works great. Plus, my wife's from Canada so she has to go home once a year - i'll have her pick up a bunch

As for the AVI files - Apparently, American BDT-220 don't recognise AVI off USB but you can stream it wirelessly through Serviio etc. It's a I price I guess i have to pay for getting a Region 1 player that can be completely unlocked - if need be.

But one thing I have realised is that having a powerful blu-ray player + full hd tv + projector + all that jazz is really pointless if you wanna play a 600mb movie file. I am gonna keep expanding my blu-ray collection - there's just no other way to enjoy what you paid for.

Last edited:
But one thing I have realised is that having a powerful blu-ray player + full hd tv + projector + all that jazz is really pointless if you wanna play a 600mb movie file. I am gonna keep expanding my blu-ray collection - there's just no other way to enjoy what you paid for.

Garbage in = Garbage out.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

^ very right..if not blu ray at least an original dvd looks good enough...
just to share....moviemart in india has some nice rent plans....very reasonable rates and almost 80 percent of thier blu ray colllection is region free,others mixed..and they also have good collection of non hollywood movies but may not be in BR but in dvd...

kix can you share the audio bit streaming detail of this blu ray player.although it is clearly written in the specs that it CAN bit stream hd audio via hdmi.....a first hand experience from your side is highly apprecieted.....

as i almost zeroed on this model.
my reasons
1.dvd upscaling as I cant afford disk collection,and the rental libraries dont have some particuler nice movie blu ray disks,but do have a dvd..
2.hd audio bit streaming capacity
3.capable of being region free after firmware upgrade.
4.HDD reading capability(as you tested:) 1 tb self powered seagate...I do have the same)

thank you

Last edited:
Replying to your queries in line in blue ...
kix can you share the audio bit streaming detail of this blu ray player.although it is clearly written in the specs that it CAN bit stream hd audio via hdmi.....a first hand experience from your side is highly apprecieted.....

as i almost zeroed on this model.
my reasons
1.dvd upscaling as I cant afford disk collection,and the rental libraries dont have some particuler nice movie blu ray disks,but do have a dvd..
DVD upscaling is extremely good.

2.hd audio bit streaming capacity
Excellent. No complaints. The BLUE HD icon lights up and AVR display shows Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD-MA or LPCM as the case may be.

3.capable of being region free after firmware upgrade.
Yes. Completely region free.

4.HDD reading capability(as you tested:) 1 tb self powered seagate...I do have the same)
Absolutely no issue.

thank you

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back