Panasonic P42X20D/X10D Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

vjkumarr

Hi All,

I see loads of folks in this forum buying P42X20D. I have bought one too in Bangalore and had the Panasonic guy come and do the wall mounting yesterday. It looks Awesome :)
Similar to V20D owners thread, I could not find a thread for X20D owner thread.

Request all seasoned owners of X20D/X10D to recomend/share their X20D/X10D settings for optimal viewing.

Mods: If this thread is already present in this form, kindly redirect redirect to that location

Cheers,
-Vijay

Owners share your buying and installation experience,
put your review of X20,
why would you recommend this tv to others?
what setting you are keeping with contrast and brightness?
hows your break-in process?

Cheers

Last edited:
I too want to buy this but the dealer is quoting me 37k after bargaining here in ludhiana punjab.how should i get it for lesser price as some members have bought it for 33k.should i show the post in this forum to the dealer where it is written bought for 33k.what to do to get the best price?

Hi All,

I see loads of folks in this forum buying P42X20D. I have bought one too in Bangalore and had the Panasonic guy come and do the wall mounting yesterday. It looks Awesome :)

Cheers,
-Vijay

Hi,
Where did you buy it from and how much did you pay for it. The quotes i got where in the 37-38K range without much bargaining.

Any help appreciated.

Feedback on the TV
As of now, I have attached TATA sky (Composite) and DVD player (HDMI).

TATA Sky (Composite): The quality I would is all right. Not too fancy but moderate. I watch TV from 14 feet minimum and the quality at this distance is ok.

DVD player (Composite): I have a Dil Chahata Hain original DVD and this has come up really really well on the TV. The quality is awesome and crystal clear. Mind you the player connected through composite but still the quality rocks.

DVD player (HDMI): I have seen all Harry potter movies (With more black content as usual for these movies), Transformers (Action), ICE Age 3 (Animation) and few others. The black level is awesome. Every scene looks so natural. I have seen same movies on LCD at my friends's place but the picture always looked artificial. My X20 renders so natural colors that you feel the scenes are happening right in front of you. The DVD player upscales to 1080P the content played on DVD and USB. V20 can beat X20 on black level but X20 is real VFM.

Break in:
I have used my TV for 55 hrs till date. As of now, on TATA sky I use built in Zoom (level 3) in function on the TV so as to avoid any logos on the panel. In this zoom level, no static image is visible on the panel. The only problem with this is that some part of the picture is not visible on the screen.

Settings:
Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: 35
Picture mode: Normal

Where did you buy it from? And whats the price you paid?

I bought the TV from Dass in Bangalore. He used to work in Morden Electronic before and now had started his own enterprise dealing with HT and other electronic items.
Price, I have not yet paid, but am sure it should be less than 38990 thats is quoted in all the major electronic shops.

I have used it for more than 100 hrs easy or more and didnt have to zoom anything. The static image problem never came. Just use it like you would use a normal lcd dude.
The current gen dont have the problems that the previous gen Panasonic plasma's did.

I have used it for more than 100 hrs easy or more and didnt have to zoom anything. The static image problem never came. Just use it like you would use a normal lcd dude.
The current gen dont have the problems that the previous gen Panasonic plasma's did.

At 8PM, put off all the lights, play a black image in Normal Picture mode, stand at 2ft away or a little closer to the panel, then observe if you can see TV Channel Logos that you frequently watch.

Good thing is that nothing is visible from normal TV watching position even there exists any image retention.

And I have seen C10 Panasonic Plasma on display at More Super Store in Bangalore. A movie was being played, the black bars on the top and bottom has two steps. The lower one is little greying and the upper one is little more black. I am suspecting that it is because of burn-in problem due to playing of movies not having 16:9 aspect ratio. I checked the manufacturing date, it's 2009 model, and the store guys might have abused it.

^^^
That problem exists in the c10 and the X10 models. I thought the discussion is on the x20 or A20. Plasmas by feature inherit this problem, but its not so evident with the current 2010 models.

Temporary image retention will always be there with plasma especially in the initial few hours, whatever model it may be.

I too want to buy this but the dealer is quoting me 37k after bargaining here in ludhiana punjab.how should i get it for lesser price as some members have bought it for 33k.should i show the post in this forum to the dealer where it is written bought for 33k.what to do to get the best price?

37K is already very less price for X20. I bought my X20 from eZone on 15th aug during their special discount at 38K. Currently I have been quoted 39.5K here in Kolkata. So you certainly can go for this price. If possible bargain further to bring down the price.

Feedback on the TV
As of now, I have attached TATA sky (Composite) and DVD player (HDMI).

TATA Sky (Composite): The quality I would is all right. Not too fancy but moderate. I watch TV from 14 feet minimum and the quality at this distance is ok.

DVD player (Composite): I have a Dil Chahata Hain original DVD and this has come up really really well on the TV. The quality is awesome and crystal clear. Mind you the player connected through composite but still the quality rocks.

DVD player (HDMI): I have seen all Harry potter movies (With more black content as usual for these movies), Transformers (Action), ICE Age 3 (Animation) and few others. The black level is awesome. Every scene looks so natural. I have seen same movies on LCD at my friends's place but the picture always looked artificial. My X20 renders so natural colors that you feel the scenes are happening right in front of you. The DVD player upscales to 1080P the content played on DVD and USB. V20 can beat X20 on black level but X20 is real VFM.

Break in:
I have used my TV for 55 hrs till date. As of now, on TATA sky I use built in Zoom (level 3) in function on the TV so as to avoid any logos on the panel. In this zoom level, no static image is visible on the panel. The only problem with this is that some part of the picture is not visible on the screen.

Settings:
Contrast: 35
Brightness: 0
Color: 35
Picture mode: Normal

I dont think you can view the true upscalled 1080P if you connect your TV with only composite slot. For HD you atleast need to connect the tv with players Component out with original component cables.

Try it out and see the difference in the picture quality on this tv.

At 8PM, put off all the lights, play a black image in Normal Picture mode, stand at 2ft away or a little closer to the panel, then observe if you can see TV Channel Logos that you frequently watch.

Good thing is that nothing is visible from normal TV watching position even there exists any image retention.

And I have seen C10 Panasonic Plasma on display at More Super Store in Bangalore. A movie was being played, the black bars on the top and bottom has two steps. The lower one is little greying and the upper one is little more black. I am suspecting that it is because of burn-in problem due to playing of movies not having 16:9 aspect ratio. I checked the manufacturing date, it's 2009 model, and the store guys might have abused it.

I dont think this is because of burn in problem. In fact no one has reported worldwide of burn in their panny plasmas of newer generation. I suspect the aspect ratio was not set correctly either on the player or on the tv. I am sure it is not because of burn in problem.

I dont think you can view the true upscalled 1080P if you connect your TV with only composite slot. For HD you atleast need to connect the tv with players Component out with original component cables.

Try it out and see the difference in the picture quality on this tv.

The upscaling comment was for the DVD player with HDMI output :). Before this DVD player I had old DVD player connected with composite. The new DVD player (Philips 3598) is connected using HDMI :)

Is it possible to change RGB colors individually in P42X20D. If, yes how do you do it?

BTW, in my new 20D I have set Contrast level @ 30, Colour @ 30 and Sharpness @50.
Colour Balance : Warm

Are there any cheat Keys or easter egg combination which can provide hours of TV usage statistics?

Thanks for your input.
-Vijay

Got mine delivered and installed yesterday.

Pretty impressed with the initial pictures played thru DVD and composite cable..though the sound is pathetic. I connected my Creative 2.1 computer speakers and that improved the viewing experience many fold.

Itching to get a media player to try out the HD pictures.

It was close call between this and the sammy C450. The sammy looks very good and also played all the formats i thew at it seemlessly. It was 4K more. However, the 3 year warranty from Pana flipped the deal.

Is it possible to change RGB colors individually in P42X20D. If, yes how do you do it?

BTW, in my new 20D I have set Contrast level @ 30, Colour @ 30 and Sharpness @50.
Colour Balance : Warm

Are there any cheat Keys or easter egg combination which can provide hours of TV usage statistics?

Thanks for your input.
-Vijay

during break-in period standard cinema mode is also fine. Contrast level @ 50, brightness @ 0, Colour @ 50 and Sharpness @50. i put my x20 on cinema mode keep a channel with logo on for 15 min, just to check IR. but there was no trace of logo both on full white and full black screen. so i am not that paranoid about IR now.

You dont need any cheat code. just access the service menu and it shows usage hours and how much time ur unit has been switched on. to access service menu do the following. mine is at 90 hrs as i put on break-in slides.

when tv is on (means not on standy). press the 'Vol -(down arrow)' button on tv(not on remote) and keeping it pressed, press the 'Recall' button on remote 3 times. service menu will appear. on the last column check the 2nd and 3rd last values. Press 'Exit' on remote.

Warning: DO NOT PRESS ANY OTHER BUTTON while in SERVICE MENU. if you change a value it does not ask to save and it will get changes even if you switch off the tv while in service menu. its not like computer bios setting.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back