Panasonic TH-40HS450DX tv optical out port shutter damage

Sean de Silva

When I tried connecting the tv optical out to the Fiio D03K the optical cable couldn't enter the port. On closer inspection I discovered that the optical port's spring shutter flap had gotten jammed inwards thus blocking the port. The flap must've broken when I removed the optical cable earlier. Panasonic tech support guy visited today and pulled out the broken flap with a tweezer. He said Panasonic cannot replace only the optical port and would have to replace the entire board hence we connected the cable to retry. It is a bit loose on the port however the sound output was fine via the dac. Apparently these port shutter flaps are extremely delicate and get damaged easily on many devices featuring them. These spring flaps seems to be a part of the new Toslink design in order to hold the cable connector inside the socket firmly. I wish all manufacturers would revert to using optical port dust caps iso these flimsy flaps. In case the cable connector falls off should I apply some tape to secure the cable to the port or apply fevistik glue very lightly to the ribbed edges of the connector and stick it to the port permanently?

20220208_124436.jpg

When I tried connecting the tv optical out to the Fiio D03K the optical cable couldn't enter the port. On closer inspection I discovered that the optical port's spring shutter flap had gotten jammed inwards thus blocking the port. The flap must've broken when I removed the optical cable earlier. Panasonic tech support guy visited today and pulled out the broken flap with a tweezer. He said Panasonic cannot replace only the optical port and would have to replace the entire board hence we connected the cable to retry. It is a bit loose on the port however the sound output was fine via the dac. Apparently these port shutter flaps are extremely delicate and get damaged easily on many devices featuring them. These spring flaps seems to be a part of the new Toslink design in order to hold the cable connector inside the socket firmly. I wish all manufacturers would revert to using optical port dust caps iso these flimsy flaps. In case the cable connector falls off should I apply some tape to secure the cable to the port or apply fevistik glue very lightly to the ribbed edges of the connector and stick it to the port permanently?

View attachment 67035
You can apply silicon paste around the jack after inserting the cable.
This can be easily removed later. I wouldn't recommend feviquick.

View attachment 67035
I too have had the flap on one of my device break. I just removed the broken flap. You can always use a dust cap to cover the port when not in use. If you have a optical cable gone bad, you can cut the two ends and get two dust caps free. and don't use feviquik. You will permanently damage the port by having the cable stuck to it and making it dificult to remove it

1644319174690.png

I too have had the flap on one of my device break. I just removed the broken flap. You can always use a dust cap to cover the port when not in use. If you have a optical cable gone bad, you can cut the two ends and get two dust caps free. and don't use feviquik. You will permanently damage the port by having the cable stuck to it and making it dificult to remove it

View attachment 67040
The optical out port will always be in use hence will consider using a silicone sealant as suggested by @josedandrew to hold the connector in place.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back