Panasonic VIERA TH-P50V20D Vs Samsung new plasma models

graghu_81

Hello Guys,

After lot of research on this site, i feel Panasonic P50V20D is the best plasma in its price range. I am planning to zero in on this model. I enquired and the stock is available in panasonic brand shops. I also heard that this model will be discontinued soon. Is it worth going for this model as it will be discontinued soon? I saw the demo of this in panasonic showroom and was very much impressed by the video quality. I also visited Samsung showrooms and had a look at the latest samsung model 51D550 and also looked at C6500 model..The video quality never matched the panasonic V20. Please suggest if it is the right decision to go with the panasonic plasma....Is there a V30 model in the pipeline?

Regards,
Raghu

The Panasonic V series does indeed have gems - maybe even diamonds. But just like those precious stones, they are also expensive. Er ... that's relatively speaking.

While the V series is now discontinued, it helps to pick the last remianing stocks at heavily discounted prices. In Pune, I was not getting the 50V20 below 1 lac but now people are getting the same for 80k.

Does it make sense to buy a discountinued model? Yes - if the newer model is not anything better. No - otherwise. Now in case of the V series, the replacing series is VT. Actually it is not really a replacing series - it was always there. The difference between V and VT is that VT is 3D (active 3D) enabled. So if 3D is not important to you, you can go for outgoing V model.

The V30 is not in the offing for India.

The second doubt about outgoing model is about spares and service. But this will be assured for some years at least. So if you liked the 50V20 and are getting a good price, go for it. Make sure that it is not a demo piece, i.e., check the usage hours from the service menu.

3D is not worth it IMHO. Those rare titles that come on 3D, go to the theater to watch is real life like (greater than life) sizes. Go for old models while they are available at deep discounts.
I do not want to buy another 50" as I need for a smaller room, otherwise I would have at that price.

Thanks a lot for the reply!
I heard the black levels of V20 deteriorates after 1500 hours or so..
Is that something i should be worried ?

I am planning to buy one from the panasonic brand shop...Hope they give me a new piece..yes i can also check the usage hours from system menu..

I am planning to buy one from the panasonic brand shop...Hope they give me a new piece..yes i can also check the usage hours from system menu..
Absolutely untrue. Maybe (?) after 6000-8000 hours, perhaps.

The V20 will definitely rise at around 1500+ hours or so. As I mentioned earlier there is currently an Asian V20 being measured for black level rise ad it has definitely moved from a 0.007-0.008 ftl range to 0.009 ftl using a 7000 $ Klein 10 colorimeter. This rise at this stage may hardly mean anything to many of us and we would know more only in the coming months though by which time the V20 would no longer be available even as a display piece possibly.

Last edited:
Finally got my 50V20 yesterday! Got it from Panasonic brand shop and yes it is a brand new piece!
Also checked the usage hours and it was just 10 min!
Quite impressed by the quality of AV!

Finally got my 50V20 yesterday! Got it from Panasonic brand shop and yes it is a brand new piece!
Also checked the usage hours and it was just 10 min!
Quite impressed by the quality of AV!

Congratulations raghu. What was the price ?

I have connected my tata sky HD + receiver to v20. Most of the channels display the horizontal black bars. These bars are more thick in some channels..Should i be worried about the break-in? I read that V20 has break in protection. Currently the aspect ratio is set to 16:9.

No...i did not check any 3d models (I Suppose ST 30 is a 3D model)..
Also he had only one piece of 50v20 left with him...

hi,

i am planning to buy the same Model
after some research i heard it has
floating black problem

did you face any of the problem ?

your brief review would be appreciated

Regards

Need to by a 50 v20 this weekend. Please tell me the best price that could be obtained in Gurgaon/Delhi and where? Will get it financed.

Hello graghu_81 ,

I am having a very simillar question. Just today I went and checked Samsung 51D550 and got a quote of 75k and alos checked the Panny plasmas. I did not get a chance to see V20 on display but saw GT20 panny and i must say GT20 looked better than Samsung. But also the video content in the Panny showroom was better than Samsung.
I got the quote for 50V20 as 85k.

So my question is what made you buy the V20 over Samsung? Is it really really that better?

All of you guys,
Panny 50V20 @85k or Samsung 51D550 @75k which is better?

Depends on how much you value clarity :)
V20 is a superior model, when compared to other TV's in its price range.
V20 should have PQ close to GT20 since both use similar panel. If PQ is paramount then V20, if you value all the extra features, then Sammy is a better deal.

My way of thinking is, other features like playback of files etc, can always be fixed with external player. But there is no real way of upgrading PQ :)

Hello graghu_81 ,

I am having a very simillar question. Just today I went and checked Samsung 51D550 and got a quote of 75k and alos checked the Panny plasmas. I did not get a chance to see V20 on display but saw GT20 panny and i must say GT20 looked better than Samsung. But also the video content in the Panny showroom was better than Samsung.

So my question is what made you buy the V20 over Samsung? Is it really really that better?

All of you guys,

Hello!

Just my opinion, but I feel a lot more comfortable with Panasonic Plasma colours than I do with Samsung. The Panny colours feel more warm and believable whereas Samsung to my eyes appears too cold and digital.

Others may feel differently, but just my 2 cents, for whatever they are worth!

Hello graghu_81 ,

All of you guys,

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back