Panel TVs

parambir

Hello
Like everyone my quest for 55 inch or 65 inch 4k TV led me to explore panel tvs which have started running a parallel market. I have been following panel tv market for some time but 4k was never found in them. Today I happened to go to a local guy who was confident of his Samsung panel 65 inch 4k tv. So I thought what the heck. .. let me give it a shot.
So I went to him with my Minix U1 4k player and couple of 4k videos. I plugged it to the tv and skeptically set the video resolution of minix. Till now the minix never showed my 4k option since I have full hd tv only. This time it showed me 4k 2k @ 30 hz as default video output. That was heartening to see that it had detected it to be a 4k display tv. Then I played the videos one by one. Everytime the video started it would show HDMI 1 3840 x 2160 @ 30 hz. Which meant it was playing in 4k mode and the port was accepting 4k videos. There was no pixelation or error in play back. The tv did not have android but I think opera. But that was not of my concern since I would be using minix all the time. It has ARC, HDMI CEC, 4K Enhanced mode (don't know what was that), USB 2.0, HDMI 2 and HDCP.
He has quoted 70k as of now but I guess he might give me for 65k with 1 yr warranty.

Now the big question. .. What is the catch? What did I miss to check? Anyone has had a similar experience? Views please. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think those will have a better life than consumer ones even. No catch other than features. Picture quality of anything that big at that price is so-so.

Hello
Like everyone my quest for 55 inch or 65 inch 4k TV led me to explore panel tvs which have started running a parallel market. I have been following panel tv market for some time but 4k was never found in them. Today I happened to go to a local guy who was confident of his Samsung panel 65 inch 4k tv. So I thought what the heck. .. let me give it a shot.
So I went to him with my Minix U1 4k player and couple of 4k videos. I plugged it to the tv and skeptically set the video resolution of minix. Till now the minix never showed my 4k option since I have full hd tv only. This time it showed me 4k 2k @ 30 hz as default video output. That was heartening to see that it had detected it to be a 4k display tv. Then I played the videos one by one. Everytime the video started it would show HDMI 1 3840 x 2160 @ 30 hz. Which meant it was playing in 4k mode and the port was accepting 4k videos. There was no pixelation or error in play back. The tv did not have android but I think opera. But that was not of my concern since I would be using minix all the time. It has ARC, HDMI CEC, 4K Enhanced mode (don't know what was that), USB 2.0, HDMI 2 and HDCP.
He has quoted 70k as of now but I guess he might give me for 65k with 1 yr warranty.

Now the big question. .. What is the catch? What did I miss to check? Anyone has had a similar experience? Views please. Thank you.
These in my understanding are industry grade panels and are made to be more rugged then the usual consumer grade. What it would lack is in the goodies features, input options, in built speakers, look and feel, etc. If the TV fulfills your requirement, go right ahead.

MaSh

These in my understanding are industry grade panels and are made to be more rugged then the usual consumer grade. What it would lack is in the goodies features, input options, in built speakers, look and feel, etc. If the TV fulfills your requirement, go right ahead.

MaSh
Well I will not be able to comment on the aspect of durability. Did not see it from that point of view. But exactly what goodies are you looking at? It has built in wifi to connect online. has 3 hdmi and 2 usb ports. In the sound option I found ARC and surround sound which did give a decent effect. Though sound is not what I am bothered about as I would by connecting my HT to it. Besides this I really could not noticing anything missing.

Oh dear. .. I thought people are aware of this. ok let me try to explain. Besides the regular market of branded tv there is a parallel market selling led tvs with led panels imported from taiwan or Malaysia (debatable). The circuitry is mostly from china. They claim panel is made by samsung or the company that is making for samsung. It is upto the wisdom of buyers to see if it meets their requirements. Till few months ago they were selling full hd tv. They claimed 4k but the 4k engine was not present. They were only up scaling. Since the algorithm was poor the result of up scaling was also poor. Now I have tested the tv as mentioned in my above post which has 4k @ 30 hz. Though I would have preferred 60 hz. But if I am getting 4k 65 inch at 65k should I complain?
I still need to run some tests on it specifically when I play full hd, is there pixelation?
Hope this clarifies.

Well I will not be able to comment on the aspect of durability. Did not see it from that point of view. But exactly what goodies are you looking at? It has built in wifi to connect online. has 3 hdmi and 2 usb ports. In the sound option I found ARC and surround sound which did give a decent effect. Though sound is not what I am bothered about as I would by connecting my HT to it. Besides this I really could not noticing anything missing.
Many people dont want more than one box attached to the tv. So for some people apps are important on tv. Also, the 100hz fake motion processing (soap opera) is important. Hope that explains.

Kindly elaborate
Panel displays mostly are meant to show adbertisements and info at stores or at places like an airport. They don't need a good video processor for fancy features like frame duplicating to make video appear smooth. But you won't know if a TV offers more natural video motion processing unless you a-b done. There is a possibility that these can be choppy with video. So try everything before you buy.

Panel displays mostly are meant to show adbertisements and info at stores or at places like an airport. They don't need a good video processor for fancy features like frame duplicating to make video appear smooth. But you won't know if a TV offers more natural video motion processing unless you a-b done. There is a possibility that these can be choppy with video. So try everything before you buy.
That is the reason why I took my player to the shop to check the video quality and now seeking inputs from the forum.

That is the reason why I took my player to the shop to check the video quality and now seeking inputs from the forum.
Its you who is buying. If you are satisfied what's stopping you? ! Seems like nobody has experience on this. You already seem to have done enough home work already. ;)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back