Panny 42X50D or 42UT30D. Deal or not?

umeshhere

Hi guys,
Am new to the forum. Need your help in deciding on my 42-incher.
Have decided its gotto be Plasma. And its gotto be Panasonic. 42 inches is all my living room can take. Now to decide whether to go for a 2011 UT30D or 2012 X50D.

My needs ->
1. Mostly desi channels for the folks, currently using cable on my CRT. Plan to switch to DTH soon.
2. Occasional HD movie for me. Should play most formats. Should support external HDD.
3. Internet - Not on the TV definitely.

Major Specs Comparsion:
UT30D
1. Full HD & 3D
2. 2011 model. Not many buyers.

X50D
1.HD Ready
2.2012 model G15 panel

Until last week, it was X50. Now a Pan shop is offering both at the same price, which is 42k. UT30D is without 3D glasss and no wifi adaptor.

I think X50 is better suited to my HD viewing requirements than UT30. Not able to decide though. What is your take?

Depends on your viewing distance if it is more than 8 feet the newer model will be better however
If viewing distance is less then a full hd panel will give sharper images with HD channels

Depends on your viewing distance if it is more than 8 feet the newer model will be better however
If viewing distance is less then a full hd panel will give sharper images with HD channels

My viewing distance is between 5 to 10 feet. And its mostly SD channels. Won't SD look bad on the Full HD tv compared to a HD ready one? at this distance?

Btw...i checked out the UT30D today, the PQ was amazing. In the shop, it was surrounded by LED tv's, so the details of HD clips was just about okay comparitively. The 3D demo clips were good too but not so much depth on the 2D to 3D converted demos.

The X50 looked brighter and sharper, probably becase its contrast is 3.5 mil, 1.5 more than UT30D.

Guys what do u think?

Sd will no look bad but you will see no difference because sd channel are around 480p. So both will look fine. However at 5 feet on a 42 inch panel full hd will look sharper than hd. I have seen no tv with a good out of the screen 2d to 3d conversion.

From the two the newer model will be better for sd channels due to better contrast and brightness.

Last edited:
Full hd is not everything. Go for x50.
Btw I think it should be cheaper than 42k.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks buddy, Am leaning towards X50D as well. SP not ready for negotiating on the X50, as its a new model. Stocks just arrived. Hope i wont miss too much on the full HD, 3D and other features of the UT30D.

Sincerely, If you are getting Full HD, 3D for the same price, why are you still in doubt ? for me it's a clear choice. G14 or G15 - panels won't have much diff as far as i know.. brightness is an issue I agree but if it's not too compelling..better be future proof (you may not see 3D or fullHD everyday..but when you want to - you are not handicapped)..again personal choice :)

Sincerely, If you are getting Full HD, 3D for the same price, why are you still in doubt ? for me it's a clear choice. G14 or G15 - panels won't have much diff as far as i know.. brightness is an issue I agree but if it's not too compelling..better be future proof (you may not see 3D or fullHD everyday..but when you want to - you are not handicapped)..again personal choice :)

Hi isisira,
I know TV's r not bought everyday. Probably i won't think about another one for 4-5 years. But i want my most basic need for the next 3-4 years, which is, good SD viewing, to be awesome and nothing less.

Also, I am a little doubtful about the UT30D, for which there is just 1 buyer on the owners thread, in this forum. AVforums has a few bad experiences listed as well.

X50D with G15 panel DCR is higher 3500000:1 and UT30D G14 panel DCR is 2000000:1. Brightness in G15 panel is better than older G14 panel. HD or FHD is not a big deal in india, all the DTH service providers are broadcasting only HD 720P/1080i resolution channels. So don't worry about HD or FHD.

X50 will look better for SD viewing while UT30 will look better for 1080p HD. Looking long term and future ready........I would go with UT30 because it is full HD and also supports 3D. These features may not be used for now but in the future it's always nice to have a future ready tv. Its more of a personal decision.

On paper X50 would be a clear winner for SD viewing because of the new panel and also because there is less up conversion required.

Beyond a few feet, you won't be able to notice the difference b/w full hd and hd panels but you will definitely notice the improvement in panel technology.

X50 will look better for SD viewing while UT30 will look better for 1080p HD. Looking long term and future ready........I would go with UT30 because it is full HD and also supports 3D. These features may not be used for now but in the future it's always nice to have a future ready tv. Its more of a personal decision.

On paper X50 would be a clear winner for SD viewing because of the new panel and also because there is less up conversion required.

Thanks Guys,
I finally made up my mind to buy the 42UT30 at 41.2K from Panasonic brand shop in Kalyan nagar, Blr. Got rid of my old 25 incher for 2k. Got the delivery today, installation was done by late evening. Yet to check out the TV features completely. SD content from Kannada regional channels was pretty good.

Looking out for dth\digital cable options. Also looking for a stabilizer. I currently have a 850 VA pure sine wave inverter.

Do u have any suggestions.

Thanks Guys,
I finally made up my mind to buy the 42UT30 at 41.2K from Panasonic brand shop in Kalyan nagar, Blr. Got rid of my old 25 incher for 2k. Got the delivery today, installation was done by late evening. Yet to check out the TV features completely. SD content from Kannada regional channels was pretty good.

Looking out for dth\digital cable options. Also looking for a stabilizer. I currently have a 850 VA pure sine wave inverter.

Do u have any suggestions.
Got A New Plasma TV? Break It In Properly! - HD Nation Clips - YouTube

Hey umeshhere,
Congr8 on your new panny. Do upload the pics and let us know Ur experience till now with UT30 and plz share your points by which u finalized UT30 over X50 .

As of DTH - TataSky seems to be the best option . Dont know much abt inverters.

Also are you going to follow 100 hrs breaking in which the forum experts suggest . do see this video. Let us know .

Thanks,
Myzus

Got A New Plasma TV? Break It In Properly! - HD Nation Clips - YouTube

Hey umeshhere,
Congr8 on your new panny. Do upload the pics and let us know Ur experience till now with UT30 and plz share your points by which u finalized UT30 over X50 .

As of DTH - TataSky seems to be the best option . Dont know much abt inverters.

Also are you going to follow 100 hrs breaking in which the forum experts suggest . do see this video. Let us know .

Thanks,
Myzus

Hi Myzus,
When i finally sat down to think, the decision for XT50 vs UT30 was a no-brainer. UT30 felt worth every rupee and more.

Sure will upload pics. I am blown over by this tv. There are days where i watched the TV itself than the telecast. :) The extra 2 inches over a normal 40 inches tv makes it really big. Haven't tried any HD/3D content yet. Can't stop being amazed by it. Waiting for my HD and 3D experience. Reflection was a concern for me. I have a brilliantly lighted drawing room. Truth is reflection exists, but its something i have learnt to live with.

Opted for the digital settop box from ACT. I had doubts about their reliability after getting a lot of bad feedback, but went with them since i wanted to try and decide. The content is good except some rare disturbances in viewing. The ACT local branch office is right next door. That helped decide too.

Did not think much about break in...My tv is already over a couple hundred hours i think (courtesy, new TV excitement). No problems so far.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back