Paper thin loudspeaker development

Analogous

Researchers at MIT have developed a paper-thin loudspeaker that can turn any type of surface into an audio source. According to the report, the speaker is made of an active piezoelectric layer with individual domes that can generate high bandwidth, tuneable sound with minimal distortion.

Quote: “This thin-film loudspeaker produces sound with minimal distortion while using a fraction of the energy required by a traditional loudspeaker. The hand-sized loudspeaker the team demonstrated, which weighs about as much as a dime, can generate high-quality sound no matter what surface the film is bonded to.”

I must say the sound in the video left me unimpressed. But who knows where this will lead to…

Researchers at MIT have developed a paper-thin loudspeaker that can turn any type of surface into an audio source. According to the report, the speaker is made of an active piezoelectric layer with individual domes that can generate high bandwidth, tuneable sound with minimal distortion.

Quote: “This thin-film loudspeaker produces sound with minimal distortion while using a fraction of the energy required by a traditional loudspeaker. The hand-sized loudspeaker the team demonstrated, which weighs about as much as a dime, can generate high-quality sound no matter what surface the film is bonded to.”

I must say the sound in the video left me unimpressed. But who knows where this will lead to…
I remember reading about this around 2010 as well where you could turn anything including a painting into a source for music. Of course the compromise is in fidelity but its a tick mark for aesthetics and space saving !

It’s interesting because:

Quote: “In this paper, a thin-film loudspeaker is proposed based on an active piezoelectric layer embossed with an array of microscale domes.

Actuation of these freestanding domes contributes to excellent sound generation by the loudspeaker, for example, 86 dB sound pressure level (SPL) at 30-cm distance with 25-V (RMS) excitation at 10 kHz, regardless of the rigid surface on which it is bonded.

The acoustic performance is further tunable by designing the dome dimensions. The proposed loudspeaker also exhibits high bandwidth, which extends its prospects into the ultrasonic range. The loudspeaker weighs only 2 g, is 120 μm thick and can be manufactured at low cost. These advantages make the proposed loudspeaker a promising candidate for ubiquitous applications in existing and emerging industrial and commercial scenarios.”

I don't know if it's the same technology, but Sony OLED TVs have something similar in which the screen itself is the source of sound. There are no other speakers.

I don't know if it's the same technology, but Sony OLED TVs have something similar in which the screen itself is the source of sound. There are no other speakers.
Seems to be somewhat different:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back