Paradigm Monitor 7's Once More

denom

Banned
Banned
Its been a while since I got some free time to do what I really enjoy doing, that is 'Enter into the speaker demo world' that I so very enjoy.:licklips::D:) Unfortunately have not been able to get some quality 'my time' due to various obstacles that keep coming in the way of me & them speakers.:mad::eek::sad:

Finally got an opportunity yesterday to relax post work & headed straight to listen to the Monitor 7's (V4 model or so I think - can anyone confirm on this?). These were the ones available before the new ones arrived in the market about 2 months back.

Let me start off with gears connected to the Monitor 7's

Source: Pioneer DV420
Amp: Marantz SR4023 (http://us.marantz.com/SR4023SpecSheet.pdf)
Speaker Wires: Acoustic Research 16 AWG

(Welcome to Acoustic Research Accessories)

Here is a small review of the Monitor 7's (the model that i auditioned)
Document Details | Monitor 7 Review - Audio Video - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm Website.

Here is the list of the songs i listened to:

Whitesnake - In The Still Of The Night

Astarte - Mutter

Rolling Stones - Angie

Coheed & Cambria - Welcome Home

Eric Johnson - Cliffs Of Dover

Halford - Resurrection

Eddie Van Halen & Joe Satriani - Top Gun Theme

Megadeth - She Wolf

Edwyn Collins - Girl Like You

Steely Dan - Boddhisatva

Chris Isaac - Wicked Game

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

Audioslave - Cochise

Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet

Guns 'N Roses - Sweet Child 'O Mine

To be very honest i was very sceptical of the Marantz pairing, A) because of the 'warm marantz sound', B) Had never heard of this model & so it was a bit of an unknown quantity.
Had no option as the 4023 was the only stereo amp in the mix of countless AVR's at hand.

Realised that this HT biz is really booming as the variety of 5.1/7.1/9.1 is mind boggling & so are the prices!!!

Anyway to get back to the Monitor 7's, had the following opinions of them:

Surprisingly good/infact better than the current 7's that i listened to 2 months back. Mids & highs were well defined, pretty neutral as well. The lows though not very pronounced, infact just enough is what i felt, with none of that boomy kind of sound though that could be due to the front porting which is very beneficial with 1 being able to literally place them close to the walls at their back sides, thus avoiding space/placement issues in smaller rooms.
Another plus is the instrument separation & ability to capture the little nuances in certain tracks, which are not heard in some of the other speakers that i've auditioned earlier. For example: the whispers in the beginning of the track 'Girl like you - Edwyn Collins'
Vocals are also well defined, really enjoyed listening to 'Angie - Rolling Stones' & 'Wicked Game - Chris Isaac'

Another track that really shined was 'Boddhisatva - Steely Dan'. Really enjoyed listening this track & was comfortably swinging throughout the track :)

So far, i gathered that the mellow & slow stuff(Anything Non-Metal that is ;)) really works well with the 7's & that Hard Rock Heavy Metal are not quite suited to these speakers, but all of that changed when i requested the sales rep to crank the vol on the marantz from -40 to -20 & got 'Cochise - Audioslave' to jolt me & realise that hell yeah my stuff sounds great through the 7's.... Next to follow was none other than the Metal God Mr. Rob Halford screaming 'Resurrection' through the 7's & I was ready to mosh!!! The poor sales rep was jolted alright by Mr. Halford post which he requested me to allow him to lower the volume back to -40.
The top gun theme followed next & things were back to status quo.... Money for nothing followed & carefully listened to the beginning of the song with that killer drumming & all was good! The speakers were agile for that drumming to induce a smile on my face alright!

As soon as the track ended, was nudged by the sales rep to let him end the demo as he has another set of customers awaiting a HT demo.... In any case, I had a sufficient fill of the 7's & that was what mattered.

Conclusion:

1) This version of the 7's I heard were far better than the latest ones I heard earlier.
2) Asking price of 32k seems quite vfm for them, though can manage a discount on them for sure.
3) Feel they are ideal for someone who likes a neutral sounding speaker with no bass exaggeration, just about ideal would be the right word here.
4) Front firing Bass Port is really a plus point for avoiding the space & placement from walls issue.
5) Excellent finish with quality materials used/look awesome without the grilles hiding the drivers!
6) Good pairing with Marantz (the SR4023 impressed me)

Last edited:
denom,

which dealer in Mumbai ? The front ports are nice..

Could you try the Paradigm Monitor 9's ?

mpw

Thanks for the review dave, considering the new price for monitor 7s is only 37k (v6) I'd prefer the V4 to be priced around 28. ;) gutter greed

Thats nice Denom.

If I remember correctly, the v6 demos you took were straight out of the box speakers. All the dealers tell me that the monitors take a significant break-in period (100-250 hrs), although personally I remain a bit skeptical about this.

So do compare it with a broken in Monitor 7 v6 and post the review if possible.

"The Shop" in Mumbai (Andheri Link road) has been having the 7's on demo for some time so you can probably check there.

Front firing is nice for placements (I am not sure if its better than rear). The v6 frankly looks ugly without the grill due to the white driver.

Thanks for the review dave, considering the new price for monitor 7s is only 37k (v6) I'd prefer the V4 to be priced around 28. ;) gutter greed

So then shall I seriously bargain for you???:rolleyes: Give me a shout if your game!

So then shall I seriously bargain for you???:rolleyes: Give me a shout if your game!

Actually some one posted energy speakers on other forum for a great price . Just waiting for him to revert back.... If that is cancelled I will definitly shoutout ... ;) .

Thats nice Denom.

If I remember correctly, the v6 demos you took were straight out of the box speakers. All the dealers tell me that the monitors take a significant break-in period (100-250 hrs), although personally I remain a bit skeptical about this.

So do compare it with a broken in Monitor 7 v6 and post the review if possible.

"The Shop" in Mumbai (Andheri Link road) has been having the 7's on demo for some time so you can probably check there.

Front firing is nice for placements (I am not sure if its better than rear). The v6 frankly looks ugly without the grill due to the white driver.

Yes Sudhir, the v6's were fresh out of the box, will chk them out @ the shop asap/ true on the front firing part/

denom,

which dealer in Mumbai ? The front ports are nice..

Could you try the Paradigm Monitor 9's ?

mpw

Have already posted my review of the Monitor 9's a while back. Have not got the opportunity to review the old monitor 9's as they are not available now.

Actually some one posted energy speakers on other forum for a great price . Just waiting for him to revert back.... If that is cancelled I will definitly shoutout ... ;) .

Which ones??? Model? Price?

Its been a while since I got some free time to do what I really enjoy doing, that is 'Enter into the speaker demo world' that I so very enjoy.:licklips::D:) Unfortunately have not been able to get some quality 'my time' due to various obstacles that keep coming in the way of me & them speakers.:mad::eek::sad:

Finally got an opportunity yesterday to relax post work & headed straight to listen to the Monitor 7's (V4 model or so I think - can anyone confirm on this?). These were the ones available before the new ones arrived in the market about 2 months back.

Document Details | Monitor 7 Review - Audio Video - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm Website.

Astarte - Mutter

Rolling Stones - Angie

Halford - Resurrection

Megadeth - She Wolf

Steely Dan - Boddhisatva

Audioslave - Cochise

To be very honest i was very sceptical of the Marantz pairing, A) because of the 'warm marantz sound', B) Had never heard of this model & so it was a bit of an unknown quantity.
Had no option as the 4023 was the only stereo amp in the mix of countless AVR's at hand.

Realised that this HT biz is really booming as the variety of 5.1/7.1/9.1 is mind boggling & so are the prices!!!

Surprisingly good/infact better than the current 7's that i listened to 2 months back. Mids & highs were well defined, pretty neutral as well. The lows though not very pronounced, infact just enough is what i felt, with none of that boomy kind of sound though that could be due to the front porting which is very beneficial with 1 being able to literally place them close to the walls at their back sides, thus avoiding space/placement issues in smaller rooms.
Another plus is the instrument separation & ability to capture the little nuances in certain tracks, which are not heard in some of the other speakers that i've auditioned earlier. For example: the whispers in the beginning of the track 'Girl like you - Edwyn Collins'
Vocals are also well defined, really enjoyed listening to 'Angie - Rolling Stones' & 'Wicked Game - Chris Isaac'

Another track that really shined was 'Boddhisatva - Steely Dan'. Really enjoyed listening this track & was comfortably swinging throughout the track :)

So far, i gathered that the mellow & slow stuff(Anything Non-Metal that is ;)) really works well with the 7's & that Hard Rock Heavy Metal are not quite suited to these speakers, but all of that changed when i requested the sales rep to crank the vol on the marantz from -40 to -20 & got 'Cochise - Audioslave' to jolt me & realise that hell yeah my stuff sounds great through the 7's.... Next to follow was none other than the Metal God Mr. Rob Halford screaming 'Resurrection' through the 7's & I was ready to mosh!!! The poor sales rep was jolted alright by Mr. Halford post which he requested me to allow him to lower the volume back to -40.
The top gun theme followed next & things were back to status quo.... Money for nothing followed & carefully listened to the beginning of the song with that killer drumming & all was good! The speakers were agile for that drumming to induce a smile on my face alright!

As soon as the track ended, was nudged by the sales rep to let him end the demo as he has another set of customers awaiting a HT demo.... In any case, I had a sufficient fill of the 7's & that was what mattered.

Conclusion:

1) This version of the 7's I heard were far better than the latest ones I heard earlier.
2) Asking price of 32k seems quite vfm for them, though can manage a discount on them for sure.
3) Feel they are ideal for someone who likes a neutral sounding speaker with no bass exaggeration, just about ideal would be the right word here.
4) Front firing Bass Port is really a plus point for avoiding the space & placement from walls issue.
5) Excellent finish with quality materials used/look awesome without the grilles hiding the drivers!

Thanks ! Nice review and surely gives me quite a relief (I was almost plannig to replace with some more musical ones! ); wrt Model the V6 has the base firing ports at the rear. I have these paired with PM6004 and now that they are with me for a little over 2 months, i can see them sounding a lot better especially inthe bass deptt.. though not as boomy as you may want at times. The V6 are also pretty balanced. The highs are at times a brighter than you may like. Songs with a plenty of pure accoustics /unplugged ones play even better e.g. Rahman's MTV unplugged sounded really detailed and superb.

Dave, Nice, keep 'em auditions going and 'em reviews coming!

Were these placed close to the wall for the demo?

Thanks ! Nice review and surely gives me quite a relief (I was almost plannig to replace with some more musical ones! ); wrt Model the V6 has the base firing ports at the rear. I have these paired with PM6004 and now that they are with me for a little over 2 months, i can see them sounding a lot better especially inthe bass deptt.. though not as boomy as you may want at times. The V6 are also pretty balanced. The highs are at times a brighter than you may like. Songs with a plenty of pure accoustics /unplugged ones play even better e.g. Rahman's MTV unplugged sounded really detailed and superb.

Great! As long as you are happy, nothing else matters :p

Dave, Nice, keep 'em auditions going and 'em reviews coming!

Were these placed close to the wall for the demo?

More than 2 feet away.

Isnt this a 2 year old thread :)

Heheheheh! Yes it is :D

1 of the early reviews done by me....

Long time ago :cool:

Paradigm Monitor 7v6 for 32K??
Are you sure?
Which dealer ?

Astarte - Mutter

Rolling Stones - Angie

Halford - Resurrection

Megadeth - She Wolf

Steely Dan - Boddhisatva

Audioslave - Cochise

Conclusion:

Back