Parasound vs Odyssey, What do the specs really mean

rise

Hi,

I am trying to decide between a parasound Classic 2250 and a Odyssey Stratos Plus. They will be behind a NAD t785 and will power Dynaudio Audience 82 which is a notoriously hard to drive 3 way speaker. My NAD receiver is rated at 120 wpc. However it does not drive the fronts well enough. Most of the forum members tend to prefer Odyssey and I'm wondering if the extra 100 watts of power coming from the parasound 2250 will make a noticeable difference over the 150 wpc that the Odyssey is rated at. Will the Odyssey be a significant improvement from a similar reated top of the line NAD receiver? I understand that in the case of these speakers current delivery is more important than the wattage but both amps seem to have the same current delivery as per the specs given below (45 amps). I tend to listen to electronic music mostly so drive and punch are important. However I am generally opposed to bright amps and prefer warm sound with detailed mids. Please see the specs below and help me understand what they mean in a real world sense. Ultimately which of the two amps would you recommend for my setup? Unfortunately demos of both are not possible side by side. On paper it makes more sense to upgrade to a 250 watt per channel amp but paper seems to be very different that listening in the world of audio.

Thanks a ton for all your help.

For the Parasound 2250

Continuous RMS Power Output
20 Hz - 20 kHz, Both Channels Driven
250 watts x 2, 8 ?
385 watts x 2, 4 ?
250 watts x 2, 2 ?
Continuous RMS Power Output
20 Hz - 20 kHz, Bridged Mono
600 watts, 8 ?
600 watts, 4 ?
Current Capacity
45 amps peak per channel
Frequency Response
20 Hz - 50 kHz, +0/-3 dB, 1 watt
Dynamic Headroom
1.6 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion
0.02% at full rated output
0.015% at average listening levels
IM Distortion
0.05 %
Transient IM Distortion
Not measurable
S/N Ratio
114 dB at rated output, IHF A-weighted
106 dB at rated output, unweighted
93 dB at 2.828 V output, IHF A-weighted
84 dB at 2.828 V output, unweighted
Input Impedance
33 k ?
Input Sensitivity
1 V for 28.28 V out, THX standard
Inter-Channel Crosstalk
85 dB, 1 kHz
73 dB, 10 kHz
67 dB, 20 kHz
Damping Factor
Over 150 at 20 Hz
Auto Turn On - DC
9 - 12V, 15 mA
Auto Turn On - Audio
1.2 mV - 12 V, adjustable
15 minute turn off delay
AC Power Requirement
110 - 120 V / 220 -240 V, 50 - 60 Hz
3 watts standby; 1000 watts full output
Dimensions
17-1/4" Wide
18.5" Deep
6" High with feet, 5.25" without feet
Net Weight
43 lbs, 19.6 kg
Rack Mount Accessory
May be Purchased Separately
RMK33

For the Odyssey Stratos Plus

Stratos Stereo:
base model specifications:
$1,195 USD
2 x 150 Watts RMS @ 8 Ohms
2 Ohm load stable
Class A/AB
2 - 400,000 Hz frequency range
60,000F memory
45 amps current delivery
<0.04% THD (not audible)
>500 continuous damping factor
Input impedance 22K ohms
DC offset <1 mV
RCA & XLR (bridged) inputs
400 VA Plitron transformer
Sanken Epitaxial Planar Transistors 2SA1216 & 2SC2922
Anti vibration dual thickness PCB
Power consumption when idle 30Watts
4 internal fuses 250V/6.3A, 5x20mm, fast blow
Additional electrical protection fuse
54 lbs weight / 24.5 kg
Dimensions: 19 width x 18 deep x 7 height (in) /
48.3 width x 45.7 deep x 17.8 height (cm)
Stratos Stereo Plus:
improvements over base model:
$ 1,400 USD
Additional 60,000F memory bank for 120,000F total
55 lbs / 25 kg weight

For the existing NAD
SPECIFICATIONS
POWER AMPLIFIER SECTION
Minimum continuous Power (FTC) Power output, Stereo Mode
Simultaneous Full Disclosure Power
IHF dynamic power, 8? IHF dynamic power, 4? IHF dynamic power, 2? Rated THD
IM distortion, rated power Damping factor, 8? Input sensitivity and impedance Frequency response Signal/Noise ratio
PREAMPLIFIER SECTION
Input sensitivity and impedance Frequency response Signal/Noise ratio
AM BAND Frequency range
Usable sensitivity Signal/Noise ratio Total Harmonic Distortion Loop sensitivity 20dB S/N
FM BAND Usable sensitivity, Mono Signal/Noise ratio, Mono Signal/Noise ratio, Stereo
200W
170W (ref. 4/8?, both channels driven at rated distortion)
7 x 120W (ref. 4/8?, all channels driven at rated distortion)
250W 400W 600W <0.08% (ref. 20Hz 20kHz) <0.08%
>60 330mV / 50k? 0.8dB (ref. 20Hz 20kHz) >92dB (ref. rated power, 8?, A-weighted) >82dB (ref. 1W, 8?, A-weighted)
350mV / 50k? 0.5dB (ref. 20Hz 20kHz) >88dB (ref. 2V, A-weighted)
530kHz - 1710kHz (120V version only, 10kHz steps)
531kHz - 1602kHz (230V version only, 9kHz steps)
30dBu >38dB <3% 66dBu
<16.1dBf 60dB 55dB
Total Harmonic Distortion, Mono Total Harmonic Distortion, Stereo Channel Separation, 1 kHz Frequency response
RDS decode sensitivity
DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
Dimensions (W x H x D) Net Weight Shipping Weight
0.25% 0.5% 40dB
1.5dB (ref. 30Hz 15kHz) 28dBu
435 x 190 x 431mm (Gross*) 20.8kg 25.7kg
* Gross dimensions include feet, extended buttons and rear panel terminals. Note: Installers should allow a minimum clearance of 55mm for wire/cable management.

quietly get the Odyssey .. U will be rewarded [ unless lab measurements turns U on ;) ]

Odyssey amps are a cousin of the mighty Symphonic Line hence they're different

I agree with 2chFreak.

Most of these specs are a complete waste of time. What is more important is the amplifiers capability to handle handles load, voltage, current and phase changes versus frequency. And of course the design.

If possible, try and pick up the extreme version of the odyssey amp. You can also try the CPA-3 from Acoustic portrait.

Odyssey it is.Why talk of Stratos , the Khartago drives my brother's mighty 4 ohms Snell C7 without breaking a sweat through a Denon 4308 ( as pre ) for fronts in a smallish room.
Cheers

Parasound Halo series is a better option and would be a better comparison to the stratos even in the pricing. However I would lean towards the Stratos, though the Parasound A21 is no slouch either.
Cheers,
Sid

Don't worry yourself about stats as most of the previous posters have said, they mean little in the long run. Both amplifiers are good and have a signature presentation so it will depend on the synergy with your system. A listen is important if you are so critical about the presentation of the sound. I have had Parasound amplifiers (Halo JC1) in an audio system before and really enjoyed them for their control and presentation (but not necessarily their punch as I listen mainly to classical music), but perhaps for your listening preference the Odysseys will be good too. Let us know your thoughts after an audition.

I do not know how many of you have heard an Odyssey Kismet, as far as I know it does not cost that much more than an Stratos extreme, but around the price point, I cannot think of many amps coming close to this. Quite clearly, this belongs to a different class. I know people here in the forum like to talk about a lot of fancy names for amps and costing nearly a fortune, but my request is: go hear this amp if you have a chance. Also read the 6moons review - the monos are reviewed there. I have heard a stereo Kismet but better specced than the monos reviewed in 6moons. I have heard this amp for long durations on quite a few occasions, because FM Pratim owns this. Once this was even brought over to my place to pair them with my speakers - I will not forget that sound in years. This amp has all the good traits of a good amp, in addition the sound is very very smooth (absolutely no SS edginess). This will drive the most difficult of speakers, but of course needs to be paired with high quality speakers, otherwise there is no point in buying this amp.

Regards.

There is another kid on the block which is very nice. The Trigon energy integrated amp. One of the most musical integrated amps I have heard at that price point !

My feelings on the parasound were as follows:
I felt that the halo seemed biased towards the highs. Personally I preferred the 2250. It was not as smooth but seemed to have a Sound which was not as skewed to the higher frequencies. From both amps I would have expected greater output at 4 ohms but they did not seem to give the legacy speakers I heard them with that much of a work out. Hoping I can hear the odyssey in Mumbai. Does anyone know of a dealer for them or a fm that would let me have a listen. Thanks.

My feelings on the parasound were as follows:
I felt that the halo seemed biased towards the highs. Personally I preferred the 2250. It was not as smooth but seemed to have a Sound which was not as skewed to the higher frequencies. From both amps I would have expected greater output at 4 ohms but they did not seem to give the legacy speakers I heard them with that much of a work out. Hoping I can hear the odyssey in Mumbai. Does anyone know of a dealer for them or a fm that would let me have a listen. Thanks.

"From both amps I would have expected greater output at 4 ohms but they did not seem to give the legacy speakers I heard them with that much of a work out"

- can you explain what you mean by that statement? greater output as in what? which preamp was it connected to?

Well on paper the specs say 400 watts at 4 ohm. A parasound pre was being used. When I heard them we took the volume non up to 2 o'clock and still the volume coming from the speakers was moderate. Bass also did not have much impact. I left wondering how much of an improvement these would be over the existing nad.

Well on paper the specs say 400 watts at 4 ohm. A parasound pre was being used. When I heard them we took the volume non up to 2 o'clock and still the volume coming from the speakers was moderate. Bass also did not have much impact. I left wondering how much of an improvement these would be over the existing nad.

2 things come to mind when you say this

A) The system was so smooth that your claims of "moderate listening level with the Volume Level sitting at 2 o'clock" was actually using up most of the power available from the amps yet the system would not scream or even hint faintly any trace of distortion to make you feel power levels

B) The overall system's Gain structure was poorly matched & just maybe the output voltage & impedance from the source device/s may be way too low

There seems to be a serious system mismatch somewhere. Even with very modest tube amps, absolute amount of gain is rarely a problem.

I listen mostly to electronic music, anything from Buddha bar type loungish stuff to house and techno. One might mention that dynaudios aren't necessarily the most often chosen speaker for this but I still love them for everything from movies to rock and electronica. Saw a film today in a theater using JBL (OMG premier) and the harsh tones hurt! So for most of this music a certain amount of volume and thump seems important and its hard to get that from the dynaudio audience 82 without some serious wattage and current coming out from the amp. Between the amps being discussed here which in your opinion would do a better job for this type of music.

I listen mostly to electronic music, anything from Buddha bar type loungish stuff to house and techno. One might mention that dynaudios aren't necessarily the most often chosen speaker for this but I still love them for everything from movies to rock and electronica. Saw a film today in a theater using JBL (OMG premier) and the harsh tones hurt! So for most of this music a certain amount of volume and thump seems important and its hard to get that from the dynaudio audience 82 without some serious wattage and current coming out from the amp. Between the amps being discussed here which in your opinion would do a better job for this type of music.

Undoubtedly .. Odyssey KISMET with addt. Capacitance.

Built like a TanK to last a lifetime. Nothing short.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back