Partitioned external hard disk

nandhu1611

I am planning to partition my external hard disk- One partition NTFS formatted for large video files to be played on samsung smart tv or sony bravia, second partition FAT partitioned for audio files to be played on Onkyo receiver thru USB port. Will it work? Has any body tried it?

I am planning to partition my external hard disk- One partition NTFS formatted for large video files to be played on samsung smart tv or sony bravia, second partition FAT partitioned for audio files to be played on Onkyo receiver thru USB port. Will it work? Has any body tried it?

I doubt whether the players will detect the partitions correctly. I had the NTFS and exFAT in my 250gb external portable HDD. But both my Toshiba blu-ray and Oppo players were not able to detect any of the partitions. So I have to partition the entire disk with FAT32 then only it was detectable in the Oppo but it was not straight forward partition through Windows 7/8 as the default partition of the external HDD is NTFS. I had to use command prompt and use the command "format /FS:FAT32 X:" where X is the drive letter of your external HDD. It takes a lot of time to format close to 1 hr.

Thanks for your reply. Both samsung and sony tvs(2013 models) detect NTFS formatted drives, Whether they will detect a drive with 2 partitions formatted with NTFS and FAT?

Has anybody else tried?

I had done this long back using a software called EaseUS Partition Master.
You can also try the same.
EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I have a 1 TB hard disk portioned as 750 GB NTFS and 250 GB as Fat32.
Both the partitions are recognized by WD TV and XTREMER.
However my Marantz NA 7004 does not recognize the Fat 32. So my partitioning did not serve the intended purpose.

Haven't checked with a TV but I have partitioned my 1TB HD to FAT32 and NTFS (250GB FAT32/750GB NTFS) as my Denon Receiver only reads FAT32 partition.

My Denon receiver reads FAT32 partition without any issues and doesn't show the other NTFS partition.

Thank you Mohan ,Jagdish and Technobhatt. Anybody else who has tried with Onkyo receiver and Sony/Samsung tv?

I can confirm this works with Samsung series 5 LED Smart TV. It should be same with other Samsung models, as the software is usually same/similar between models.

Found the answer myself. Onkyo receiver didn't recognise the Fat32 partition created on an NTFS formatted drive

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back