Passive preamp

hifiramr

Hi all thinking to get good passive preamp.I just wanted to know passive or active preamp is better ?. It seems that lot of users saying the passive is good option but need to mach with power amp impedance.

Also I have heard many great integrated amplifiers have passive preamps in there build for example creek(A50ir) and exposure(2010) some models they sounded awesome from my experience.

I request our fms to post there experience on the same too already saw one from our FM clearcut :):):)

A passive preamp will work or not mainly depends on specs of your power amp (input impedance, voltage)

And output voltage, impedance of your source

Like for eg if you are using iphone as source passive preamp wont have any gain and there will be almost no sound as output voltage of a phone is quiet low

Hi all thinking to get good passive preamp.I just wanted to know passive or active preamp is better ?. It seems that lot of users saying the passive is good option but need to mach with power amp impedance.

Also I have heard many great integrated amplifiers have passive preamps in there build for example creek(A50ir) and exposure(2010) some models they sounded awesome from my experience.

I request our fms to post there experience on the same too already saw one from our FM clearcut :):):)

Go in DIY section and search for PASS B1 passive amp..you will get the direction.

cheers

Dheeraj

Go in DIY section and search for PASS B1 passive amp

Pass B1 is not a passive preamp. It is an active buffer stage with no gain. The impedance issues of passive preamps dont apply to the B1 but the gain issues do. Its overall a very good option for a budget pre and can be tweaked to suit your system. See the B1 thread for details

The passive vs active debate is a long one. Having used both, I dont have a particular preference for either. Well implemented preamps from either camp will work well in a suitable system. However, a well implemented passive is easier to design/make than a well implemented active.

Pass B1 is not a passive preamp. It is an active buffer stage with no gain. The impedance issues of passive preamps dont apply to the B1 but the gain issues do. Its overall a very good option for a budget pre and can be tweaked to suit your system. See the B1 thread for details

The passive vs active debate is a long one. Having used both, I dont have a particular preference for either. Well implemented preamps from either camp will work well in a suitable system. However, a well implemented passive is easier to design/make than a well implemented active.

For impedance matching, suggested for PassB1, however in discussion section it is referred as passive.

For impedance matching, suggested for PassB1, however in discussion section it is referred as passive.

Passive pre amps generally dont need power to run

B1 does but it does not add any gain to the signal unlike many active designs so some call it passive

What jai has said is correct IMO

B1 is active pre with zero gain

Passive, If you don't have gain sensitivity and impedance matching issues.

Active buffer: Like Pass B1, if you have no gain issues and need good impedance matching.

Active preamp with gain: When you need both gain and impedance matching.

Having done that in the past, my advise would be to at least shortlist which power amp and speakers before buying a preamp. Passives are VERY system dependent

No idea to which power amp to be used the speaker speck will be 86db@8 ohms but that I am not considering now.Just need a clean detailed sound from my Arcam DV 135 dvd player using as source.one of our FM have pulse power amplifier for sale not sure how it should work with this.But I considering branded power amplifier. I think Nelson pass B1 is the best to use as preamplifier.

Last edited:
No idea to which power amp to be used the speaker speck will be 86db@8 ohms but that I am not considering now.Just need a clean detailed sound from my Arcam DV 135 dvd player using as source.one of our FM have pulse power amplifier for sale not sure how it should work with this.

Any particular reason to get a pre-power instead of an integrated?

The Pulz RS-250 has an input impedance of 10k ohms. Not suitable for use with a passive preamp. Pulz RS-250 DUAL MONO POWER AMPLIFIER

Whether the speaker impedance or power amp should be considered ?

Having done that in the past, my advise would be to at least shortlist which power amp and speakers before buying a preamp. Passives are VERY system dependent

Whether the speaker impedance or power amp should be considered ?

power amp input impedance and gain, source output impedance and voltage, speaker sensitivity are all criteria to keep in mind.

AFAIK, with a normal 2v source and a passive pre, you need a power amp with ~30db gain to have enough system gain for most speaker. With a normal solid state source (output impedance below 1k ohm), you need a power amp with at least 50k ohm of input impedance. This can vary based on the interconnects used

Any particular reason to get a pre-power instead of an integrated?

The Pulz RS-250 has an input impedance of 10k ohms. Not suitable for use with a passive preamp. Pulz RS-250 DUAL MONO POWER AMPLIFIER

no but what I saw from some of the integrated amplifier with passive pre sounds excellent than that of active pre stage integrated amplifier like creek A 50iR that uses passive preamplifier.

Last edited:
no but what I saw from some of the integrated amplifier with passive pre sounds excellent than that of active pre stage integrated amplifier like creek A 50iR that uses passive preamplifier.

There the power amp section is chosen keeping the use of a passive in mind.

Also, such integrateds can also have impedance issues. Eg. the earlier Naim 5i had an input impedance of 20k ohms - too low to work with some tubed phono stages.

Back