Passive Preamp

Moimanuh

Hello fellow FMs, I am looking for a low budget passive preamp like the schiit sys. Please advice me on my available options. Thank you.

Hello fellow FMs, I am looking for a low budget passive preamp like the schiit sys. Please advice me on my available options. Thank you.
You could make one in a day. Or have a diy friend or a local audio manufacturer make one for you. A few good entry level stepped pots are Allo, Diyaudio crafts had one too. Then you have the Alps, Vishays, Bourns…..a few schematics available on the internet.

You could make one in a day. Or have a diy friend or a local audio manufacturer make one for you. A few good entry level stepped pots are Allo, Diyaudio crafts had one too. Then you have the Alps, Vishays, Bourns…..a few schematics available on the internet.
couldnt find any of these preamps or diy kits available in India

couldnt find any of these preamps or diy kits available in India
You dont need a ready made kit for something like this. A small amp chasis(readymade or salvaged), two pairs of rca’s, a toggle or rotary selector switch, attenuator, hookup wire, soldering kit, schematic will do nicely all available at the diy websites. Ofcourse your system components have to work with a Passive unit.

Manek

Hello all,
Thank you for this thread. I picked up the Bellari Audio PP532 following the tip about it here. It works perfectly, but, as reviewers at many places have stated, the knob position isn't easy to discern.

Congratulations, bhaskarbk on your new preamp.

While a potentiometer (pot) based passive pre amplifier is simple & widely used, IMO better results (apparent in revealing stereo setups) are obtained from:

Optical - Cadmium Sulfide based Volume Controlled passive preamps

Auto-transformer based Passive Preamps.

Thank you IndianEars for the good wishes, and more so for the lead on better performing passive preamps. I'm new to all this, so it's great to have a direction to go towards - thank you again!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back