Philips AG 9125 W

I was handed over a Philips AG 9125 W record player and changer with automatic options. Its manufactured in 1964 and has an inbuilt tube amp.

It sounds decently well especially Jazz with the provided speakers . However some issues.

1. How do I by pass the inbuilt amp to use my current hifi setup. I could find only 4 ports. Attached picture. Dont know what's the leftmost port for ?

2. Right speaker port seems damaged. How do I get this repaired ?

I am.a novice but have some records to start off.

Attachments

• 20191209_204341.jpg
    20191209_204341.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 55
The unit probably has a ceramic cartridge of Philips proprietary design. Styli for this would be difficult to obtain. Some of them are with integral stylus, which means the complete cart has to be replaced.

I would advise you not to get inside this unless you have an expert supervisor as there is a valve amp inside so high and dangerous voltages are present.

Take the unit to a local repair guy and get the socket replaced.. you can fit modern binding posts.

Regards,

Hi Dhimant,
The speaker sockets doesn't look like they are damaged. May be some cleaning required. Why do you want to by pass original amplifier? The valve amplivier though low in power has its own charm. And this player has ceramic cartridge. I would suggest not to change anything and dont expect high quality from bypassing original amplifier. Ceramic Cartridges give high output which will not match with modern Aux input. You will have to attenuate the ceramic cartridge output.
My advice enjoy the vintage sound. :)

If you get tired pass on to me I had always wanted to have small low power stereo tube amp.
Regards

Vintage record players are born to survive and give us joy. Those are things of beauty so joy for ever. IMO let the rig as it is. Those produced in 60's have the power to mesmerize us.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back