Philips GA 202 - transit screw question

Anorak

Hi,

I'm restoring a Philips GA 202 (my 1st project), and have just installed two new belts. Everything works fine, but there is just one issue - the deck 'hangs' slightly to the left. By 'hangs' I mean that if you look at the transit screw holes, they are slightly out of line. When I switch the turntable on, there is a slight 'ch ch' rubbing noise. Now, if I temporarily put two screws in the transit holes, the deck comes into line and the sound disappears.

According to the instruction manual there is a transit locking wingnut and a single transit screw (marked on the diagram with an 'x'). My deck appears to need a wingnut and two transit screws. When I got the turntable it did not come with any transit screws / wingnut. So, when in use, should the deck have any loosened transit screws in place, or are they removed completely? If I loosely install two replacement screws, will that stop the floating mechanism from working as it should?

Any other suggestions welcome.
I'm actually surprisingly impressed with this turntable.

Thanks...

This is a suspended subchassis type TT. What you refer to as floating mechanism is known as the subchassis while the deck plate above that carries the motor is the main chassis.

If the transit screw holes in the subchassis are shifted towards the motor pulley substantially then adjust the horizontally mounted spring that pulls the subchassis in the opposite direction of the belt. If that does not work then you may have a main belt that is too tight. The transit screw are usually not part of the suspension system so they are not required to be in place when the TT is in use.

Download the service manual from the library section of vinylengine.com
Also go through this to guide you with the set up.

HTH

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The belts are brand new, and I don't really fancy shortening the spring or putting a stronger one in place.
I have actually just realised that item 97 - plug (4822 462 40199) is missing, and I think that this may have a function in centralising the sub-chassis. The challenge now is where on earth I can get one, or at least find out what size it is!

Hi,

The belts are brand new, and I don't really fancy shortening the spring or putting a stronger one in place.

The spring, if there would be a horizontal one under the platter, above the main chassis. There shall be 3 or 4 anchoring holes for it, so the tension can be adjusted. Does not need cutting or replacing. This is the system on the Indian made GA242 that is similar to this deck. If you can provide pics of the suspension from both sides, it would help.

Also the Holland made decks can be easily lifted out of the wooden base. I suggest you do that and operate it, so you can observe the subchassis behavior at startup.

Regards,

Congratulations! These Philips are not on the audiophile radar, but properly set up, they can give a stiff competition to the more famous suspended chassis TTs.

Regards,

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back