Philips GA 242 Restoration

maestro

Need help with restoring a Philips Electronic GA 242. Would really appreciate if anyone can share schematics or even photographs of the circuit board. Some components are missing which is resulting in the motor turning very slowly.

Turntable is in pristine condition and the stylus for the original Philips EG1400 cartridge is missing...

But, one step at a time...

Difficult to find a service manual for 242, however, here's one for 212. Compare & see if it is of use to you.

Philips GA 212 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Does the turntable take standard 1/2 inch mount cartridges? If yes, then you have plenty of options I guess, else Philips has had a long history of customized spares, difficult to find and expensive to procure, in case you find them.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited:
Please share photos of your TT ckt. That will give us idea if there is anything missing. Do you have tachometer to measure the speed?

Dear Koushik,
I think that's a great idea. Thanks. I will post some photos of the circuit board in the next two days. I observed the motor turning slowly and when the platter was placed, it stopped completely. The voltage across the motor leads was 1.5v which I think should be closer to 6v (considering the weight of the platter and record).

Difficult to find a service manual for 242, however, here's one for 212. Compare & see if it is of use to you.

Philips GA 212 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Does the turntable take standard 1/2 inch mount cartridges? If yes, then you have plenty of options I guess, else Philips has had a long history of customized spares, difficult to find and expensive to procure, in case you find them.

Regards,
Saket

Saket, I have already downloaded those docs. I'm not sure about the schema but will check it this weekend. Its actually an easier process to compare the PCB with a photo. The PCB size is just 3"x 4" and the number of components on it are few.

TT does have a standard 1/2 inch mount cart. Am hopeful that I will find the right one once the starts turning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a check in my archives last night and don't seem to have the "electronic brain" speed control circuit of your GA242. Probably one of our forum members who owns the GA242 can send you a few pictures of the PCB for you to make a comparison. 1.5volts is definitely not the appropriate voltage for your motor. Can you check the motor and post the ratings mentioned on it. You can consider building yourself a custom speed control, which could end up being much better than the original philips one.

Here is an example of a very simple speed control circuit for 6volt motors. There are more complex ones too, that can be built. For motors, the current ratings are also very important. Cassette deck motors usually run on between 500ma and 700ma in most cases.

Low voltage DC motor speed control circuit - Electronic Circuits and Diagram-Electronics Projects and Design

Edit:
Found this write up, take a look at the Philips Turntable speed controller schematic.

Antique Radio Forums • View topic - Philips Norelco GA 202 Turntable

Hi Mastero

Most of the available carts are compaitable with the Philips TT, i have philips 842 , and i used it with Denon DL 160 cart

its nice TT .. and i can recomend you to go with Sure M 97 XE or Ortofon 2 M Red , these two are MM cars

Sachin can help you with nice phono stage for MM cart

Regarding fixing any electronic issue, i know a person here who can do, if you do not find any solution , please feel free to contact me

and its truly worth restoring it :)

Best Regards

Tanoj

Hi,
I recently purchased Philips 242 player, Technics SU 700 and around 70 R D Burman records all together from an gentleman (owner) in good condition.

I play them with my Hi Q International Speaker ( My father purchased them in 1973).

While playing old records I hear mild crackling noise in background. The intensity obviously depends on the condition of the record. The turntable is fitted with original E700 cart. Now, will changing the cart improve the sound?

If yes....

Can you please tell me from where do I buy Sure M 97 XE or Ortofon 2 M Red cart in India and how to fix them in Philips 242 player.

What is the approx. price of them? I am on a tight budget.

Regards
LOGO

When it comes to surface noise, mechanical noise and even ticks & pops, there are a lot of dependencies. Eliminating these sounds will imply having these dependencies under control.

Changing the cart to a Shure M97Xe would definitely improve the overall sound quality (again subjective here. I have friends who have upgraded the cart and fallen back on the older one, saying it sounded better). In my opinion the 97xe is a superior cart and miles ahead.

You've not mentioned how tight your budget is. Both carts fall in the sub-10k bracket, in the Indian Market. Prices can vary from 6-9k for the Shure.

The 242's headshell takes all 1/2 inch standard mount carts. Replacing a cart is not a major job but requires some understanding of cartridge pin configuration and of course, nimble hands as carts are very delicate. The instruction manual which comes with the 97xe illustrates its pin configuration. Also, remove the stylus or keep it covered with its dust cap while fitting the cart. If stylus damage occurs, it can set you back by a few thousand bucks.

You may contact Deys Equipment service at Chandni Chowk, Esplanade for new Shure M 97 cartidge. They keep Shure, all models.

Hi,
I recently purchased Philips 242 player, Technics SU 700 and around 70 R D Burman records all together from an gentleman (owner) in good condition.

I play them with my Hi Q International Speaker ( My father purchased them in 1973).

While playing old records I hear mild crackling noise in background. The intensity obviously depends on the condition of the record. The turntable is fitted with original E700 cart. Now, will changing the cart improve the sound?

If yes....

Can you please tell me from where do I buy Sure M 97 XE or Ortofon 2 M Red cart in India and how to fix them in Philips 242 player.

What is the approx. price of them? I am on a tight budget.

Regards
LOGO

Hi,

The Philips 242 is a good TT and is certainly worth spending time and effort to get it working.

Old turntable repairs..., Stereo (Engl.) - HIFI-FORUM

You should contact FM 'aks07' for any help you need with regard to the 242 TT.He has a lot of experience with this TT and can help you get your TT working .

Regards
Rajiv

15/2/2015 - Sir, my second hand Philips GA 242 turntable does not have a anti-skate knob/switch. The problem I face is that the tonearm always returns/slides back to start/rest position when I start to play a record. So please help. It has a Technics P27 cartridge. Weight kept is 2gms. Increasing or decreasing the weight does not make any difference. (No matter what) The tonearm will always return to rest position as soon as playing of record is commenced. Awaiting kind revert please. Also I am unable to find service manual and users manual for it on the net. So please let me know if it is available with you. - Kedar

I have the Philips GA 242 turntable and was looking to revive it. All it needs is a new cartridge and stylus. Wondered in someone would guide me on which cartridge of Shure is compatible with this player and where I can source it. This one came with a hifi GP 390. Been looking for suitable cartridges and stylus.

That Philips 242 Turntabke is compatible with all standerd Shure Cartridges.. You can buy Shure M44/55/70/75/91/93/95/97 cartridges and mount it and enjoy listening..

I have the Philips GA 242 turntable and was looking to revive it. All it needs is a new cartridge and stylus. Wondered in someone would guide me on which cartridge of Shure is compatible with this player and where I can source it. This one came with a hifi GP 390. Been looking for suitable cartridges and stylus.
For its price, 242 is a great TT. I have used it with M447, sounds VG!

15/2/2015 - Sir, my second hand Philips GA 242 turntable does not have a anti-skate knob/switch. The problem I face is that the tonearm always returns/slides back to start/rest position when I start to play a record. So please help. It has a Technics P27 cartridge. Weight kept is 2gms. Increasing or decreasing the weight does not make any difference. (No matter what) The tonearm will always return to rest position as soon as playing of record is commenced. Awaiting kind revert please. Also I am unable to find service manual and users manual for it on the net. So please let me know if it is available with you. - Kedar
I don't know whether this is still relevant to you or not. This is happening due to non-adjustments of the anti-skate mechanism.
However I'm trying to give an insight as much as I know.
Firstly setting anti-skate in 242 is not going to happen in a conventional way. There is no anti-skate knob or something. But look at the arm carefully. The square weight (which is given in place of traditional counter weight) is actually your anti-skate mechanism. Now do the following procedures step by step..
1. Insert your cart and connect properly.
2. Place the anti-skate (square counter weight like structure) at the end of the arm. Don't tighten the screw attached in this step.
3. Place a blank vinyl (probably not available in India) or blank CD (easily available) on the platter and press the start button at 33.3 or 45 RPM. The platter will start rotating.
4. Gently place the arm on the CD using arm lifter.
5. In this position,your arm should be deflected towards periphery.
6. Stop the platter and carefully move the weight forward and start the platter again to see wheather the arm remains stationary. Repeat this step until the arm remains static at one point.
7. If you find the point where the arm remains stationary,tight the screw. And you have set your anti-skate correctly.
8. Now you will find a small weight situated on the arm. This is your counter-weight. Now balance the arm in traditional way by sliding it forward-backward as necessary.
9. The grooves on the arm represents 1gm. Set it according to your cart manufacturer. I set it to 2gm.
10. Verify your tracking force with the help of a small digital weighing scale.
11. You are ready to go with some pleasant music. Philips 242 is truly a good turntable only if aligned carefully.
Regards,
Dr. Partha

Hi. The square knob is the counter weight(counter balance.) The owners manual gives in detail how to set . As I recall ,the sliding round weight on the arm has to be kept at the first marking near the pivot. Now, with stylus guard off , the square weight has to be carefully slid backwards or forwards till the arm balances,or floats just above the record. The screw is tightened at this point. After this slide the round weight on the arm FORWARD to the appropriate mark on the arm corresponding to the recommended VTF of the cart. In case of original GP 390 it was 2 grammes .
If one opens the turntable you will see a very fine spring near the place where the arm pivots. This appears to be a anti skate spring. A similar mechanism is fitted on many tt, notably Dual 10xx series.

Do ask someone for assistance if u are not sure. Stylus damage can occur due to improper handling

Hi. The square knob is the counter weight(counter balance.) The owners manual gives in detail how to set . As I recall ,the sliding round weight on the arm has to be kept at the first marking near the pivot. Now, with stylus guard off , the square weight has to be carefully slid backwards or forwards till the arm balances,or floats just above the record. The screw is tightened at this point. After this slide the round weight on the arm FORWARD to the appropriate mark on the arm corresponding to the recommended VTF of the cart. In case of original GP 390 it was 2 grammes .
If one opens the turntable you will see a very fine spring near the place where the arm pivots. This appears to be a anti skate spring. A similar mechanism is fitted on many tt, notably Dual 10xx series.

Do ask someone for assistance if u are not sure. Stylus damage can occur due to improper handling
That's nice. May be I'm wrong. But please tell me what is the necessity of the small weight if I set the counter weight with the large square weight? It's not clear to me. Other traditional tts don't have such peculiar system.
Regards,

Hi. Many Philips Turntables have this system of setting VTF. An example is Philips GA 312. If u read the owners manual of GA 312(available on internet) or 242(I have the original owners manual), the procedure is laid down: that is set the front sliding weight to zero , then balance tonearm using counterweight, finally slide the sliding weight forward to set VTF. Now, interestingly, the 312 has a separate knob for anti-skate caliberation, whereas in 242 it is fixed!
Many Tts e.g. Dual 1009 etc have a slightly different system, in that, after balancing the tonearm you set the VTF using a knob which exerts downforce with the help of a spring. Here sliding weight is eliminated.
On another note, I recall that there is or are some tt's which use the sliding weight to tune specific cartridges resonant frequency. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable members may enlighten.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back