Philips HTS-3541/51 HD Audio Performance

vganapathy1000

Hello Everybody:)

I have zeroed in to buy Philips HTS-3541/51 with Bluray Disc Player , 2 digial Audio IN (1 Coaxial & 1 Optical) , 1 analog Audio IN, 1Ethernet connection.

While going through the Specs i find under Amplifier & speaker systems
--- Total power RMS @30% THD: 300W & in the Manual
Total output power: 300W RMS (30%
THD)
is mentioned.

My limited/little knowledge says that THD(if it is Total Harmonic Distorsion) value should be less than 1%. So what is the 30% mentioned as THD?
unfortunately none from the Philips could explain about this.

Moreover , in the pamphlet under Sound system "Dolby Digital 5.1, DD Plus,Dolby True HD, DTS Digital Suuround, DTS-HD Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio Essential " had been mentioned. But in the manual u donot find reference about these HD Sound formats in the Audio Codec/ files indicated . There is no clear statement about the on board DECODERs, for these HD Audio formats.

I hope that some one with sound knowledge/owner will clear my doubts, even though they may look silly.

ur timely inputs will help me in making the final decision .

regards
v ganapathy

Hello Mr. V Ganapathy,

I am researching the same model and I am planning to buy the same soon.
I am not well versed with the technical part, however I am sure that the hts 3541 is capable of playing all HD Sound formats.

The same is also mentioned on their website:
Philips - Immersive Sound Home theater Blu-ray - HTS3541/51 - Immersive Sound 5.1 - Home cinema sound - Sound and vision

I am not sure why there would there be a discripancy in the manual...

I have read on some forums about THD. Kindly google it for more information.
However as per my understanding these ratings given by manufacturers are not very acurate or reliable. Also, this model is not a high end one and hence rather than getting into the technical side I suggest that you take a demo and then decide.

Hope this was useful. Do get back for any other clarification.

Regards,
Pratik

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back