Philips shp 9500 review

krishtrinity

When you first hear the name philips,bulbs and other household electronic devices comes to mind.I was not even aware that philips even made audiophile headphones untill i saw the review of the fidelio x2.Due to success of the x2 everyone seem to ignore another headphone shp 9500 which they are selling at unbelievably low price right now.

Build quality

Build of SHP 9500 is nothing special,it feels very solidly build for the price.There is a huge L and R markings on the left and right earcups which is also written on inside of headphones for whatever reason.It is an open headphone meaning everyone around you can hear what music you are playing,this headphone is not meant for portable use.What feels very special though is the comfort,this one of the most comfortable headphone i have ever put on my head,the earcups on these are so comfortable i could use them for hours and hours,the headband is also as comfortable and if that wasn't enough the headphones are so light on the head as well.The 3.5 mm cable is detachable which is a huge plus,this means that you can use any cable including the vmoda boompro.

Performance
I was mainly a earphones user until i put the shp 9500 on my head,after i played a led zeppelin song i know this headphone was something special.No matter how good a earphone,it can't recreate the sound of a good open headphone.The sound can be described as neutral,detailed highs,clear mids and tight bass.The soundstage of these is wide which makes it perfect for movie watching and gaming.Hearing piano and vocals on these headphone is amazing experience,the piano sound exactly like it should which for a headphone at this price is unbelievable.Sound is crystal clear,i had never heard a headphone so clear,i always prefer listening to bookshelf speaker instead of the headphones but with the philips shp9500,the listening experience is as enjoyable as listening through the speakers which is the greatest compliment i could give to a headphone of any price.I was going to get the philips fidelio x2 too,but the shp 9500 is so good at everything that i don't feel the need for another headphone.

La valsa d'Amelie-Amelie soundtrack(flac)
The wide soundstage really help to capture the detail of each and every instruments.This is the most detailed i ever heard this track,mids are more detailed than from my monitor audio speakers.The entire album sounds absolutely amazing with the philips

Bang Bang-Nancy Sinatra(mp3)
Imaging is spot on,the vocals come from the right side and the sound from the instrument is coming from the left side,i can picture exactly where the instruments are placed and the singer is standing when the song was recorded.

Sarah Brightman-Glosoli(24 bit flac)
Vocals are absolutely beatiful not even slightly recessed.The song has an orchasteral feel to it,every instrument is clear,the fact that this headphone can capture the scale of this song make me forget that i paid only same amount of money as m40x for these.

Nirvana-Lithium(24 bit flac)
The highs on these is perfect,not at all sibilant at listenable volume,bass may not satisfy bass heads but for neutral heads like me.It can't get any better than these.High resolution music sounds great on these.

One of the best headphone that you can get for any price,people say the philips are selling these at a cheap price because they have discontinued it.If that is the case i highly recommend you buy one of these,i doubt there is a headphone that can give the comfort and sound quality of the philips at this price.

Also i did own an shp model 9000 dunno but sounded muffled . How is Z comparing these with the HD600 model I wonder ? Maybe there are changes from the shp 9000 to the 9500 ?? Have you heard the 9000 ?

Dear Sir

I have SHP 9000, bought it for below 3 K

It needs a bit of power to drive, once you boost low bass

slightly and give power, it rocks, the more clean power

better it sounds, I feel it would be better that SHP9500

though 9500 would be easy to drive compared to 9000

the driver excursion is like a sub woofer cone !

Robert Bose

Also i did own an shp model 9000 dunno but sounded muffled . How is Z comparing these with the HD600 model I wonder ? Maybe there are changes from the shp 9000 to the 9500 ?? Have you heard the 9000 ?
don't know how these compare to HD600 but compared to fidelio x2 these are more neutral(better midrange),i don't find any lack of soundquality compared to x2.Shp 9500 are amazing with piano music better than the x2.

Dear Sir

I have SHP 9000, bought it for below 3 K

It needs a bit of power to drive, once you boost low bass

slightly and give power, it rocks, the more clean power

better it sounds, I feel it would be better that SHP9500

though 9500 would be easy to drive compared to 9000

the driver excursion is like a sub woofer cone !

Robert Bose
shp 9500 is purely neutral headphone,they lack subbass.But the clarity on the headphone is one of the best i have ever heard.Comfort is better than the more expensive x2

comparing x2 and shp 9500 will be like comparing a neutral sounding bookshelf speaker and 2.1 speaker.X2 is amazing for watching movies

SHP9500 is supposedly the upgraded version of SHP9000 and I must say that its performance is really an "upgrade". It takes SHP9000 beyond. The 9000 is known for it's spacious sound and the detailed high while the bass isn't quite impressive. The bass amount is lacking and not solid. SHP9500 bass is very tight and solid. Not only the quality but 9500 has more quantity of bass. This is the major area where 9500 outperforms 9000 in my opinion. The high notes of 9000 is a bit soft sounding. The 9500 has more sparking details which can be good or bad, depending on your music. The sparkling high of 9500 makes it sounds more alive than 9000 and it's so good with Jazz and Classical, while it can sound harsh with pop and rocks. In my opinion, 9500 is the ultimate Jazz/Classical headphones. It presents the music that's punchier, more alive, than the SHP9000, while sounds less spacious and is harsher in the high notes on modern pop/rock genres. If I have to describe in 1 word to compare between 9500 and 9000, I'd say 9500 is punchy, while 9000 is laid back
from a post i found online

Some people argue sound demoes are pointless,because the headphone that you are using to hear sound demo affect sound

I recently picked up a pair of 9500, my first ever. Totally blown away by the details I hear, even when no headphone amp is used. Is one recommended for these? I can listen to them all day with no fatigue at all. Its fun listening to all my favorite songs all over again as they sound so much better on these, some of the instruments that I never knew existed are a pleasure to listen to. Especially the songs from Taal, Dil Se, Roja, etc have so many instruments, which I had no idea of.

The only concern is that they are Open. There is considerable amount of leakage which becomes slightly inconvenient at night when all are sleeping and I am working. However, I guess this is true for all Open Headphones.

MaSh

The 9500 has more sparking details which can be good or bad, depending on your music. The sparkling high of 9500 makes it sounds more alive than 9000 and it's so good with Jazz and Classical, while it can sound harsh with pop and rocks. In my opinion, 9500 is the ultimate Jazz/Classical headphones.

Can someone comment on how the PHILIPS SHP9500 fares when compared to the popular JVC HA-RX900 or HA-RX700 headphones for listening to instrumental and classical music? Well, the following link says JVC HA-RX900 are the best headphones for listening to classical music.

Best Headphones for Classical Music Under $100 | Blog News & Training

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back