Philips Transistor service manual

STEPHEN D

Dear friends,
I have joined this esteemed group today. I am a radio hobbyist for some time. I have recently got a Philips Prestige model 556 Transistor radio which is not working. I want to restore the radio for which I shall be grateful is any of our friends in the group could help me with the Service manual (including the schematic).
Seek ur kind help please.

Greetings....
Stephen D

Hi Stephen, welcome to the forum
Hope this helps in restoration of your radio.
Best wishes to you.
Srinivas
Dear Srinivas, mine is Philips Prestige 556 transistor radio. I am looking for the schematic of the same for restoration of the radio with model no. 15 RB 556/03S. Pls help if possible. Btw, I deeply regard ur kind response.
David Stephen

Oh sorry for the goof up, will try
Hi friends
I joined the group today
I am a radio receiver lover. I restore old radio sets cosmetic. I have a Philips Prestige transistor radio which runs on MW only. No reception for sw. Please give suggestions.

Hi friends
I joined the group today
I am a radio receiver lover. I restore old radio sets cosmetic. I have a Philips Prestige transistor radio which runs on MW only. No reception for sw. Please give suggestions.
Hi

Not sure if this would work.

My Grundig S350 only FM was working properly MW, SW bands all silent. The frequency counter was just drifting on it's own (analogue tuned, digital readout radio).

So also SONY ICF-SW10 was having the same issue - in fact no reception other than a hiss - MW, FM, SW1 to 10.

First trial was on Grundig. Sad I left it to "rot" for years and tried reset and was slowly cannibalizing it for antenna, speaker etc. thinking it is dead. MW and SW is it's forte. So if they don't work no use of it. Opened it up and gave the inside of the band switch and bandwidth selector a nice spray with contact cleaner through the openings I could access on them. Played with the switches a few times. And lo!!! all that hiss became songs and speech. Put back the antenna and back to it's glory.

Did the same with SONY radio two days back. Sprayed the inside of the band-switch, moved the switch a few times. Got it back to work.

Give it a try if you have not done. It may come back to life.

I think the cleaner is this https://www.dubaistore.com/automoti...oCw9JHJN36Jx0qwvs-hoCahoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get one with similar composition. CRC is common there in India I think. Don't use WD40 . It is antirust lubricant and not for electrical contacts. It can later accumulate gunk and make things worse.

I forgot the name of the road parallel to the railway line in Nagpur. Is it Sitabaldi area? Used to frequent that place for radio and electronic parts when I was doing my graduation in VRCE in late 1980's. nostalgia

Hi

Not sure if this would work.

My Grundig S350 only FM was working properly MW, SW bands all silent. The frequency counter was just drifting on it's own (analogue tuned, digital readout radio).

So also SONY ICF-SW10 was having the same issue - in fact no reception other than a hiss - MW, FM, SW1 to 10.

First trial was on Grundig. Sad I left it to "rot" for years and tried reset and was slowly cannibalizing it for antenna, speaker etc. thinking it is dead. MW and SW is it's forte. So if they don't work no use of it. Opened it up and gave the inside of the band switch and bandwidth selector a nice spray with contact cleaner through the openings I could access on them. Played with the switches a few times. And lo!!! all that hiss became songs and speech. Put back the antenna and back to it's glory.

Did the same with SONY radio two days back. Sprayed the inside of the band-switch, moved the switch a few times. Got it back to work.

Give it a try if you have not done. It may come back to life.

I think the cleaner is this https://www.dubaistore.com/automoti...oCw9JHJN36Jx0qwvs-hoCahoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get one with similar composition. CRC is common there in India I think. Don't use WD40 . It is antirust lubricant and not for electrical contacts. It can later accumulate gunk and make things worse.

I forgot the name of the road parallel to the railway line in Nagpur. Is it Sitabaldi area? Used to frequent that place for radio and electronic parts when I was doing my graduation in VRCE in late 1980's. nostalgia
Thanks Subbu
Nice to learn that you know Nagpur. Ya you are correct, it's Sitaburdi area. Fully crowded place.
I tried the trick suggested by you. I use contact cleaner Zorik. It's from Pidilite. But no success . Some electronic fault.
Any further suggestions please. From which areas of the circuit should I start check. I have a poor knowledge of radio electronics. But I will give a try.

Hoping suggestions

Thanks Subbu
Nice to learn that you know Nagpur. Ya you are correct, it's Sitaburdi area. Fully crowded place.
I tried the trick suggested by you. I use contact cleaner Zorik. It's from Pidilite. But no success . Some electronic fault.
Any further suggestions please. From which areas of the circuit should I start check. I have a poor knowledge of radio electronics. But I will give a try.

Hoping suggestions
Hi

I wanted to reply to you earlier but missed in my research for new radios.

If you have not repaired the SW of your radio, don't worry. AIR have switched off all SW broadcast. So too most EU states. Very few remain now and mostly Chinese and a couple of VOA and BBC maybe. My 6 SW radios are now idle some doing the FM duty. Now they are also without battery. New C.Crane EP PRO came in last Sunday :) and another Sangean Pocket power house DT800W. Both AM / FM only.

They are here https://www.hifivision.com/threads/rediscovered-joy.91376/#post-1022336

SDR is the only way to get some SW stations now. And in future MW and FM too.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back