phono pre and amp for hmv fiest popular

vijaycira

Hello friends,

This is vijay from bangalore i recently purchased a HMV turntable from sunday market in ahmedabad, model name fiesta popular. i thought it was working since there was lil humming sound in the speaker but later found the TT was not working. i managed to repair the motor with WD 40 but still there was no music even though the vinyl was turning well. later figured the cartridge and the needle had gone so some how found a guy in bangalore and purchased he checked it and worked perfectly. but despite fixing that no music. Then i had no choice but to give it to some one who understands this subject.

i gave it to a friend of mine who makes amplifiers and he said the amp circuit had some problem and he could not identify some of the components since the circuit is old. he asked me to buy a phono preamp and amp circuit kit which i failed to find anywhere in bangalore.

i googled about phono preamp and came to know about this forum. i have no clue about electronics as i am a furniture designer and bamboo bike builder, the only encounter i had with electronics was when i decided to make a CNC motor driver. Which i did on a breadboard for one motor, though never finished the project.

it would be great help if some one can share a circuit diagram for the above model with parts indicated, i dont mind trying ten times till i get it right. i will share the pics of the same soon.

Thanks and Warm regards,

vijay sharma

Vijay what is your budget?
Also as many photographs of turntable will be useful..

Also what is Bamboo Bike??

The HMV fiesta has a nice little amplifier (very simple circuit) and this can be easily fixed. There is absolutely no need to spend on phono preamps and amplifier boards. Anything you lay your hands on called "phonostage" is going to cost you much more than your fiesta itself. Also, most of the phono preamps or phonostages as they are called, which you would get these days are for magnetic cartridges, definitely not compatible with the fiesta's ceramic cartridge. If you really must get if fixed, you can send it to me and I can fix it for you (however I am located at Trivandrum and you may have to ship or send it to me with any friend of yours who is travelling down here). I may have a lot of these components in my spares junk box and these can be put to good use. All it would cost you is the shipping to and fro, if that sounds like a plan (again this also would not be necessary if you have someone coming down).

On another note, if you change the electronics inside, the fiesta is going to lose its old charming appeal. The sound from that 4 transistor amplifier is something hard to replicate.

I would suggest that before buying one you should get it tested with somebody's pre-amp to see if the TT works. I am sure, there should be some TT repairer in Bangalore. Also, you should consider the cost of a pre-amp. The one from Nad costs around 12,000. Even the cheaper ones should be around 4,000 at least. In this cost, you may get a reasonably good working TT like Philips 242. Consider these things and then take a step. There is no doubt, of course, that with a pre-amp the quality of reproduction is much better.

wow reuben thanks for the detailed explanation. I will speak to my friend and find out about specific part not recognizable. I think what he told me about one particular transistor if i am not wrong which is the tallest of all with three legs....i will take a pic and mark all the components and share, if i can repair here would be great or else all options are on the table just like OBAMA...

Hi Navin thanks for the info, i thought this kit would cost some few hundred rupee. But looks like thats not the case....my friend has a some different make of TT which are not working for various reason. I asked him if the amp circuit of those can be fixed in the HMV fiesta, he said no for some reason. i think some technical issues which i didnt u quite understand.

I have seen it internally . Its all transistor based circuit. Preamp uses BC546/547 transistors as there is ceramic cart input of 300mV already present. power Amp is board is also some hi-power transistors, nothing more. One guy got TBA820 kit into it.

One guy got TBA820 kit into it.

That would be me:D.

The big guys have already spoken on the subject. Agree with Omishra & Reuben. Fiesta's kit is probably the most simple kit that you may ever encounter in an audio equipment. Should be easily fixable. No point going for expensive phono & amps for this little fiesta. If you are willing to spend, get a better Hifi TT. BTW, how much did the TT cost you? Some pictures would add some spice to this thread.

Regards,
Saket

Hey Saket,

Thanks, my first attempt would be to add the parts which has problem. (resistor, capacitor or transistors ) and try to keep the instrument as original as possible provided i get the required spare parts. Thats the reason i needed the cirucit diagram with all the components mentioned in it. I guess more the then the circuit diagram what i would need is the specs of the components.... anyways right now i dont have the TT with me its with my friend who is off to Kerala for ONAM break. will take pics once he comes back on wednesday. As far as the price goes i picked it for 600 bucks with five vinyl free along with it. Spent 750 bucks on the cartridge and the needle.

Hey Saket,

Thanks, my first attempt would be to add the parts which has problem. (resistor, capacitor or transistors ) and try to keep the instrument as original as possible provided i get the required spare parts. Thats the reason i needed the cirucit diagram with all the components mentioned in it. I guess more the then the circuit diagram what i would need is the specs of the components.... anyways right now i dont have the TT with me its with my friend who is off to Kerala for ONAM break. will take pics once he comes back on wednesday. As far as the price goes i picked it for 600 bucks with five vinyl free along with it. Spent 750 bucks on the cartridge and the needle.

Hello Vijay,

600 bucks for five vinyls & the player is reasonable. Just curious, what are the titles you picked up? Though 750 for the cart & needle is little steep. I think you will be interested in this thread too:http://www.hifivision.com/phono-tur...restoring-old-hmv-fiesta-record-player-6.html

In case you need the circuit diagram, I will post that for you, if that helps.

wow i am super excited now will take a print and run to the market today... thanks a lot saket will keep you updated with the progress...hey could you please share the high res pic on vijaycira@gmaildotcom, since it gets pixeleted when i zoom in to read the specs...

Last edited:
Hey Saket,

Here are the pics of the TT. Yesterday went to the market with the circuit board and bought all the transistors and capacitors soldered them....But for some reason still there was no music.....I could here it only in the cartridge but not in the speaker. My friend said he will check it again and let me know. Will keep you posted the moment i smell success. Thanks for the big help.

Regards,

Vijay

Attachments

• IMG_20130918_122149.jpg
    IMG_20130918_122149.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20130918_122302.jpg
    IMG_20130918_122302.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20130918_122435.jpg
    IMG_20130918_122435.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20130918_161214.jpg
    IMG_20130918_161214.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20130918_122327.jpg
    IMG_20130918_122327.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 45
Hey Saket,

Here are the pics of the TT. Yesterday went to the market with the circuit board and bought all the transistors and capacitors soldered them....But for some reason still there was no music.....I could here it only in the cartridge but not in the speaker. My friend said he will check it again and let me know. Will keep you posted the moment i smell success. Thanks for the big help.

Regards,

Vijay

interesting approach, carpet replacement :)

nice pictures of the RP, the idler looks in good nick.

Check the line out of cartridge to make sure it is in order. It might be a case that the kit is okay but the cart is blown. Is there some output in the speakers? Basic thing and I assume you have checked it before if the speakers are working.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back