• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Phono preamp

Mogami Cables

Fiftyfifty

Hi,

I'm looking for a good phono stage to go with my other components which consist of a Marantz TT15, Cary Pre and Power amps. I'm currently using a Schiit Mani which is quite good, but I believe there is potential for improvement.

So far, I've been recommended Jasmine (by Prem) and Trigon (from Jochen).

My budget is quite open. Something available in India is preferable but I can wait until my next travel abroad.

Will be grateful for offers of preowned units from FMs or suggestions for a new purchase.

Many thanks

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

plasmoid

Hi there,
Just saw your post on phonostage wanted. If you upgrade and decide to sell your Schit Mani, please let me know.

Fiftyfifty

I'm hearing good things about the Trigon Advance, Jasmine Audio, ifi micro phono2 and CNC kits.

Any suggestions or offers of used phonos welcome

D

Deleted member 38504

If u have already spent so much on the TT and ur other chain, please buy a nice decent phono. Dont waste time on cnc,iphono etc. There are many happy users of the trigon. Hope u had a word with jochen.

Fiftyfifty

If u have already spent so much on the TT and ur other chain, please buy a nice decent phono. Dont waste time on cnc,iphono etc. There are many happy users of the trigon. Hope u had a word with jochen.
Thank you Celester. Yes, I'm in touch with Jochen and a few others. Looks like the purchase will need to be more or less blind. Hoping to make the right choice.

malvai

I have a sparingly used Monk Phono... 3 inputs... multiple loading options... great MC stage apart from the MM stage with silver trafo's.... lemme know.

Fiftyfifty

I have a sparingly used Monk Phono... 3 inputs... multiple loading options... great MC stage apart from the MM stage with silver trafo's.... lemme know.

Thanks Malvai, that's a very well regarded phono stage! Let me do some more research and then I'll PM you if it appeals to me.

Regards

Hari Iyer

Dont waste time on cnc,iphono etc. There are many happy users of the trigon.

BTW, i am quite happy with my DIY phono stage. Definetly sounds better than the Sony Amplifier in-built phono stage with more dynamics.

Fiftyfifty

Thanks to all my friends for their suggestions and reviews. I finally pulled the trigger on Trigon Advance. It will arrive in 10 days. All Trigon users, without exception, have had good things to ay about the unit, which is a dual mono design with a battery power supply. Multiple adjustable gains, loading and MM/MC capability make it quite a versatile performer.
I also used the opportunity to buy a few sets of Jochen's used SSC Magicpoint isolators. Let me check these out too.
A few FMs have expressed interest in the Schiit Mani, so I thought I would mention that I'm not selling it until I've burned in the Trigon and compared the two phono stages side by side. As and when I decide to sell, I will offer it to the interested FMs before posting it for sale.
Thanks everyone

D

Deleted member 38504

Excellent choice mr Kishore. Good luck and let us know ur musings on the trigon.

sunder

Thanks to all my friends for their suggestions and reviews. I finally pulled the trigger on Trigon Advance. It will arrive in 10 days. All Trigon users, without exception, have had good things to ay about the unit, which is a dual mono design with a battery power supply. Multiple adjustable gains, loading and MM/MC capability make it quite a versatile performer.
I also used the opportunity to buy a few sets of Jochen's used SSC Magicpoint isolators. Let me check these out too.
A few FMs have expressed interest in the Schiit Mani, so I thought I would mention that I'm not selling it until I've burned in the Trigon and compared the two phono stages side by side. As and when I decide to sell, I will offer it to the interested FMs before posting it for sale.
Thanks everyone

Fiftyfifty, what about the power supply of the Schitt Mani? Is the supplied wall wart unit sufficiently enough? If we want to upgrade the power supply, which make is suitable one? Have you tried? Any branded item available online? Thanks.

Fiftyfifty

Hi,

At the price of the Mani, one would not want a power supply that costs more than the preamp. So I would stay with the supplied wall wart, which is quite good. One PS unit that I have found to be outstanding is the ifi ipower. Costs $49 abroad but more expensive here. I comes at various voltages and a variety of connectors. Extremely low noise!

Best wishes

sunder

Yes, the high grade PS is highly priced . Is the ifi power supply compatible to Schiit? Do you mean that of the iFi Audio power supply? Thanks.

Fiftyfifty

Yes, the high grade PS is highly priced . Is the ifi power supply compatible to Schiit? Do you mean that of the iFi Audio power supply? Thanks.

The Mani accepts 16V. The iFi iPower can give ou 15V. They are most likely compatible but I'm not sure. Here's the link to the iFi:
https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

If I were you, I would stay with the supplied wallwart

Cheers!

firearm12

schiit Mani comes with 16v Ac power supply, infact most schiit products come with ac adapters. Any dc power supply would not be compatible.