Picking a Plasma: Panasonic TH-P50ST50D or Samsung PS51E8000

Vcash

Hello Everyone,
I needed some advice on picking the right television for a dedicated HT setup. I currently live in the US and my parents live in India and are moving into a new house and I would like to buy them a TV for their media room has a house warming gift. I am buying the TV locally in India and have decided on a Plasma TV since this meets my requirements in terms of budget and technology needs.

Room
Let me describe the room first. The room is 10 X 8 and the viewing distance is around 8 Feet. There are large french windows on the right and a large sliding french door on the left so I expect the room to have a considerable amount of ambient light (Although this can be controlled with black out curtains). I have attached a diagram of the intended setup:

Dedicated HT Room Details.jpg

Viewing Habits
I expect that they will use this TV for only a couple of hours a day as this is the fourth TV in the house (Albeit the nicest one since the rest are Samsung LCDs that are several years old). Most of the time they will watch HD movies on this screen through a Blu-Ray player or a dedicated HTPC that I have setup for them. They primarily like to watch comedies and dramas. I can also see them using this room to watch sporting events such as tennis & cricket through a 720p DBS source. There is not much 3D content available on DBS or in their movie collection so I can see them using the 3D feature as a novelty feature only a couple of times. If 3D does become mainstream through DBS (Unlikely over the next few years in India) then maybe they would use it a bit more.

TV Options

The festive season has brought some nice deals to be had and I have shortlisted two televisions: The Panasonic TH-P50ST50D and the Samsung PS51E8000. As most of you may know, the top of the line E8000 just went through a major price correction and is now cheaper than the mid level ST50. I have gone through some reviews (Unfortunately I cannot go and view the TVs in person since I am in the US) and wanted to get your opinion on which is the better buy:

1) Panasonic TH-P50ST50D - Has very strong 2D performance and it comes with a 3 year warranty in India. The panel is said to be bright and vivid and the blacks are supposed to be fantastic. However, it is fairly expense for a "mid-level" plasma compared to the other makes in the market. Also, news of Panasonic stopping plasma production next year is a little disconcerting as I don't know what the support for the TV will be going forward. Having said that, this is still my defacto choice.

2) Samsung PS51E8000 - This was never in contention till Samsung slashed the retail price by almost 30% bringing the street price to below ST50 levels. 3D performance of the TV is lauded and since it's top of the line, the TV is loaded to the gills with "Smart" features including gesture and voice control, 2 remotes and four 3D glasses. Also, I think that the Samsung has a nicer design than the Panasonic. However 2D performance is not comparable to the ST50 and the blacks are not as black as the ST50 and it tends to attract a little bit more ambient light. Samsung also only offers a 1 year warranty on this model. However, having said that, the price and all the extras make this clearly value for money.

3) What about the Panasonic GT50 and the Samsung PS51E550 - At one point, I considered both these TVs (And still may depending on your responses). The only advantage that the GT50 had over the ST50 was THX calibration and a slightly slimmer profile. However it is 15% more expensive than the ST50 and from what I read, with good calibration, the ST50 can perform as well as the GT50. The E550 which is a Series 5 Plasma from Samsung was also being considered seriously primarily because of it's low price. The 8 series price cut has now made the perceived value saving seem less so than before and is only about 10% cheaper. Having said that, I have wondered if the 5 Series and the 8 Series use the same panel (Specs wise it looks like they do) and is the 10% premium for the 8 series worth it as you get rather gimicky smart TV features, a pair of extra 3D glasses and a slightly thinner profile?

Conclusion
So to sum it up, I am confused as to which is the best choice here keeping performance and price in balance. If the Samsung's 2D performance is not significantly different from the Panasonic ST50's, is it worth it to save the 15% and go with the Samsung. But on the flip side, if the quality is much worse in terms of sharpness, brightness and contrast - is it better to neglect the 15% savings and buy the Panasonic. The other question is around - Do you go with the manufacturer that gives you better warranty i.e. Panasonic or the manufacture that has a longer term commitment towards a technology i.e. Samsung?

And if you think either of these options are not right for the usage listed, please suggest other models \ technologies that you think may be a better fit.

Would appreciate some feedback that would help make my decision easier. Thanks for taking the time to read through this post.

P.S. My folks move into their house towards the end of next month so I am not in a rush to pick up the TV but would like to take advantage of a festive offer if any.

In terms of overall PQ, there isn't much of a difference between E8000 and ST50. But in terms of relative reliability the ST50 is ahead. Also 3 years warranty with the ST50 whereas E8000 comes with 1 year I believe with no extension possible as yet.

I have had 46 incher samsungs go kaput in 1 year so bought the gt50 this time around. St50 would be the way to go. You don't know how bad it feels when a > 100k tv going kaput feels! And the panel costs more than a new tv.

I have had 46 incher samsungs go kaput in 1 year so bought the gt50 this time around. St50 would be the way to go. You don't know how bad it feels when a > 100k tv going kaput feels! And the panel costs more than a new tv.

I understand your apprehension but could yours be a one of case? I have owned two 37" and 40" Samsung Bordeux Arts for the last 5 years and touch wood nothing has happened yet. But I feel your pain. Honestly, I am leaning towards the ST50 but the E8000's price is just so damn good!

In terms of overall PQ, there isn't much of a difference between E8000 and ST50. But in terms of relative reliability the ST50 is ahead. Also 3 years warranty with the ST50 whereas E8000 comes with 1 year I believe with no extension possible as yet.

I have listed this a pro in my analysis but I am concerned with the fact that Panasonic is wrapping up Plasma production next year. And you are right about Samsung not offering an extended warranty on their Plasmas.

@Vcash, the models in India are not too different than those sold in US. You can check out in US between E8000 vs. ST50 vs. GT50.

As far as Panasonic getting out of plasma business, that is a strong rumour. But my friend in US owns Pioneer Kuro series 42" since 2007. It was he, who showed me how good plasma was. Pioneer exited from the TV business completely but the TV is still working fine.

I'm glad you are going with Plasma..............it's good to know you have done the homework and picked the right technology, Panasonic or Samsung is your call, both are excellent plasma sets. I feel the only way to decide would be to spend time with both and demo as much as possible.
All the best!!!

Nice and brief write up.....even i am confused betweeen these two and saw the price drop of around 30% since 4 months...i am even inclined toward samsung led 46es8000 and sony 46hx850.....still working on the economics of getting it cheapest from dubai(some other friend will get) or in the grey market......just an update that samsung does give extended warranty(plasma) of extra two years for around 15k extra with all components as first year including the PCB,panel,etc for which i will b taking the confirmation from the dealer(have asked to read the manual)here in samsung,bangalore at mantri mall whereas panasonic gives extended 2 years warranty only on the panel.i will even be trying to compare the 46es8000 and 51e8000 next to each other to know the differences between led and plasma from the same source of tatasky+hd and going through various channels.....theres even a samsung 7inch tab 2 on offer along with the 8 series plasma/led.....i will decide by this week.....will even call up barons on s.p road to get the best prices(guessing) or any dealers(devi international/griha vaibhav/collwell electrix) where i can get cheapest....

As far as Panasonic getting out of plasma business, that is a strong rumour. But my friend in US owns Pioneer Kuro series 42" since 2007. It was he, who showed me how good plasma was. Pioneer exited from the TV business completely but the TV is still working fine.

I first laid eyes on a Kuro in 2007 and was smitten myself. I just wonder what the support will be for these TVs going forward. I mean if your buddy's Kuro was to run into a problem now, who would service it? From that perspective, I feel that Samsung will have a longer tech backup than Panasonic especially if Panasonic exits the Plasma business. Having said that, having the TV taken care of under warranty for 3 years is a given. I am still leaning heavily towards the ST50 at this point.

I'm glad you are going with Plasma..............it's good to know you have done the homework and picked the right technology, Panasonic or Samsung is your call, both are excellent plasma sets. I feel the only way to decide would be to spend time with both and demo as much as possible.
All the best!!!

I have asked my Parents to go view both sets in the shop and let me know what their preference is. I will also try and hit up a Best Buy here to go see some similar models.

Nice and brief write up.....even i am confused betweeen these two and saw the price drop of around 30% since 4 months...i am even inclined toward samsung led 46es8000 and sony 46hx850.....still working on the economics of getting it cheapest from dubai(some other friend will get) or in the grey market......just an update that samsung does give extended warranty(plasma) of extra two years for around 15k extra with all components as first year including the PCB,panel,etc for which i will b taking the confirmation from the dealer(have asked to read the manual)here in samsung,bangalore at mantri mall whereas panasonic gives extended 2 years warranty only on the panel.i will even be trying to compare the 46es8000 and 51e8000 next to each other to know the differences between led and plasma from the same source of tatasky+hd and going through various channels.....theres even a samsung 7inch tab 2 on offer along with the 8 series plasma/led.....i will decide by this week.....will even call up barons on s.p road to get the best prices(guessing) or any dealers(devi international/griha vaibhav/collwell electrix) where i can get cheapest....

Good to hear that the extended warranty is available on the Samsung. With the 15K, I think the Samsung Plasma will be priced on par with the Panasonic set and then it should really come down to personal preference at that point.

Just did a comparison yesterday between 46es8000(led) and 51e8000(plasma) at samsung showroom(next to next) watching tata sky sd channels and samsung 55es8000 and siny 55hx850 watching polar express blue ray in 3d at reliance digital and here are my personal observations....
betweeen samung plasma and led-led was way ahead in the in the brightness(both again in atandard mode) and the refresh rate.i asked him to change the plasma to dynamic mode and still the picture was dull compared to the led(standard mode).the picture was pleasing on the led tv than the plasma as i could observe plasma flickering when watching led next to the plasma.so i had asked the person to change the refresh rate if any as i was under the impression that plasmas have the best flicker free thing.i had even read about two modes that is the 60hz and 96hz but there was no option to do that in the tv menu so he called up the technician and even he didint have any idea about that.going through the menu there were two options that is 50hz and 60hz so he changed to 60hz but still i could complain about the flickering.i didnt have time to put any usb sources.
next i went to reliance digital.the sony 55hx850 was very good in the 3d content and depth but that is not a big and most important criteria in the selection process.then i even played normal sd channels with both in normal mode and could observe that samsung was very good and there was a very negligible difference in the skin colors or the color accuracy between the two.i cud notice slight black faded lines on the vertical parallel sides of the samung led whereas sony didnt have any.was told that the outerframe being the reason for this.
i am still in dilemma after my observations.trying to compare the same with the panasonic plasmas but i doubt ny showroom will have this kinda next to next setup.
one more observation i had made a few days back about the flickering in the plasma and led in the brand shop.this time it was the 42gt50 plasma and the 42dt50 led and the same flickering was observed in the plasma compared to the led.then next i went on to match the color accuracy between the two so i ashed to fiddle with the various factory modes and to my surprise both were very identical in the movie mode.so i was pleased that there is some accuracy between the led atleast.
had called up devi international(bangalore) and asked if i cud get the comparison between the pana plasma and sony,samsung leds and he informed that it was not possible to do that but can do with samsung and sony.he even went on further to say that plasma technology is getting outdated companies have exited the business and shifted to led including panasonic getting into the led segment along with the plasma.

all the xperts pls give ur opinion.

1. LED will be brighter and vivid any day. That suits the purpose of watching in brightly lit rooms. In a showroom, where the brightness is more than usual, this is even more accentuated.

2. I am not sure what you exactly mean by flickering. If that is something akin to interlaced scan, then I am not sure. I do not observe flickering.

3. Plasma TV production/sales are on the decline. If that worries you then go with LED.

You can go with the Sony HX850 if you wish.

Never compare plasma and LCD in showroom light condition, one will never use a plasma in that kind of lighting at their homes so it simply makes no sense.

That flickering could be film judder which is eliminated in many LCD's inducing a soap opera effect(which i see in my 55" ex72), which imo spoils the film feel totally.

Between the E8000 and ST or GT50 there is no contest imo except for the blacks, E8000 is a better tv in all other aspects, some say it over processes pics but that can always be toned down by the settings.

Any TV can go bad,it can even happen within one week of the purchase of the product, so it just not an universal thing that if one person had bad experience with Samsung or Panasonic then other will have the same issues. Samsung now offers extended warranty so if there is fear then one can make use of that.

Samsung doesn't provide extended warranty on plasma..only provide ex-warranty on led-lcds..
LCD,LED,WSM_1.jpg

I have seen many samsungs go kaput. Though in 2009 early 2010 when i bought the 46 inch Samsung led they were the best.

Samsung plasmas may be good especially in Internet features however warranty is very important. Picture quality is also relatively better in case of Panasonic st, gt and vt than the Samsung however at 85k the samsung is a winner for vfm.

Think it all adds up to the same cost

Samsung - Price 85k + Extended warranty -- [assuming] 10 - 15K >>> 95 - 1.0L
Panasonic ST50 - Price - 1.0L (~90 K) + 3 year warranty -

Its another sales gimmick..!??!

Just did a comparison yesterday between 46es8000(led) and 51e8000(plasma) at samsung showroom(next to next) watching tata sky sd channels and samsung 55es8000 and siny 55hx850 watching polar express blue ray in 3d at reliance digital and here are my personal observations....
betweeen samung plasma and led-led was way ahead in the in the brightness(both again in atandard mode) and the refresh rate.i asked him to change the plasma to dynamic mode and still the picture was dull compared to the led(standard mode).the picture was pleasing on the led tv than the plasma as i could observe plasma flickering when watching led next to the plasma.so i had asked the person to change the refresh rate if any as i was under the impression that plasmas have the best flicker free thing.i had even read about two modes that is the 60hz and 96hz but there was no option to do that in the tv menu so he called up the technician and even he didint have any idea about that.going through the menu there were two options that is 50hz and 60hz so he changed to 60hz but still i could complain about the flickering.i didnt have time to put any usb sources.
next i went to reliance digital.the sony 55hx850 was very good in the 3d content and depth but that is not a big and most important criteria in the selection process.then i even played normal sd channels with both in normal mode and could observe that samsung was very good and there was a very negligible difference in the skin colors or the color accuracy between the two.i cud notice slight black faded lines on the vertical parallel sides of the samung led whereas sony didnt have any.was told that the outerframe being the reason for this.
i am still in dilemma after my observations.trying to compare the same with the panasonic plasmas but i doubt ny showroom will have this kinda next to next setup.
one more observation i had made a few days back about the flickering in the plasma and led in the brand shop.this time it was the 42gt50 plasma and the 42dt50 led and the same flickering was observed in the plasma compared to the led.then next i went on to match the color accuracy between the two so i ashed to fiddle with the various factory modes and to my surprise both were very identical in the movie mode.so i was pleased that there is some accuracy between the led atleast.
had called up devi international(bangalore) and asked if i cud get the comparison between the pana plasma and sony,samsung leds and he informed that it was not possible to do that but can do with samsung and sony.he even went on further to say that plasma technology is getting outdated companies have exited the business and shifted to led including panasonic getting into the led segment along with the plasma.

all the xperts pls give ur opinion.

Firstly..............anytime you want to demo a Plasma tv in a store, request the salesman to turn down the lights. Bright light is an overkill for Plasma. Couple of years back I was lucky enough to see a kuro (king of tv's) in a dark HT room side by side with a hi end LCD tv. The kuro was jaw dropping........totally blew my head. The LCD was no match at all.

So, it also depends a lot on where and how you demo the tv. If you prefer LED my pick would be sony HX850.

I just checked out the Samsung 51E8000 at the samsung gallery and then the Panny GT50 and XT the panasonic showroom. The ST50 was not on display but im assuming quality equivalent to the GT. Once i relaxed and checked out the differences between the LED and PLASMA i was excited to note the fantastic picture quality and colours in the Plasma. LEDS are simply bright and put simply overrated. i own a Bravia 40inch LCD EX 500 series presently in the living room and looking to go for a bigger one. I found both the samsung and panasonic plasmas amazing. Still thinking on which one to go for! Let me know what you decide.

Hi all,

I am considering to buy a 50 inch ST50 model. But I am concerned about the power consumption factor, the rated power consumption on panasonic website is 420 W. Also i understand that the power consumed depends on the kind of video and the calibration setting being used. But i would like to know on an average how much power is consumed over a month? Could any current owners of the ST50 model please reply to this query.

Thanks,
Sam

Hello All,

Finally I booked 51E8000 on 20th Oct i.e. Saturday and got delivery on the same day.
Yesterday(24th Evening) Samsung Engineer installed the TV.
Till now I am very happy with the quality and yet to receive the AirTel HD Box hence put it on the Tatasky normal SD.

Will update you soon for further experience.

Bye the Way : In next 10 days will receive the Samsung TAB 2 P310 which dealer is ready to take back at Rs14K.
If any buddy one is interested please let me know as the Selling price is Rs19,200.

Here is the review of E8000 plasma by a well known pro calibrator chad B, it is not always the absolute conclusion but its good to know his opinion.

After calibration:

With CS engaged, my familiar Blu Ray demo material looked great. Bright colors were vibrant and rich, and skin tones looked natural. The picture was easygoing and yet engaging, and shadow detail appeared to be spot on. I enjoyed the sense of depth and dimension, which was among the best I have seen on a plasma. The image was smooth and clean, while still conveying a sense of perfect detail and resolution. Brightness transitions were handled well, and there were no signs of banding, though occasionally I saw very small and brief picture fluctuations which are normal for most plasmas.
Movie motion was excellent, though if youre used to the super smooth type of fluidity most modern sets boast then you will find it to be a bit jerky. Contrast and black levels were excellent, though with dark content in a dark room it will not be mistaken for a 9G Kuro.
I might expect skin tones to be somewhat undersaturated from the results of the saturation sweeps; but with my familiar material they looked absolutely amazing, though a bit on the inoffensive side if I had to choose.
I truly enjoyed the E8000s image. I saw no significant flaws, the E8000 handling everything competently if not superbly, and it offers glimpses of those magical qualities home theater enthusiasts crave.

Face off: GT50 vs. E8000

Contrast was reduced in the GT50s THX Cinema mode to match the light output of the E8000 in Movie mode. Sources included 1080P/24 Blu Ray and 1080i DirecTV. Cinema Smooth was turned on in the E8000.

Lights on, TV off:

GT50 is slightly better at reducing reflections. Both stay quite dark, but the GT50 is slightly better in that regard.

Lights off, Blu Ray:
Black levels are more similar than different, though the GT50 is darker by a hair. Certain times the black difference is more easily seen that other times.
E8000s overall presentation is a bit more earthy-toned, giving it a slightly more cinematic feel as opposed to the GT50s video feel.
Though the measurements would suggest a large difference in shadow detail, with real content the difference is extremely slim, with the GT50 just barely coming out of black faster. I have to look for the difference, but theres a little more texture visible in dark clothes and objects on the GT50. The E8000 is actually more accurate in that regard, but many people like a bit of extra shadow detail.
Sometimes skin tones are just a tiny bit less red on the E8000. Usually the difference is slight. However, in the Digital Video Essentials Restaurant scene, the difference is more pronounced. I feel the E8000s skin tones look more true to life in this clip.
The E8000 handles texture and layering in brightly lit faces and other very bright objects more naturally at times.
The GT50 has a tiny bit more pop in bright scenes, with whites looking a bit brighter. Whites can take on a slightly bluish and/or violet hue on the GT50, in comparison to the E8000s slightly duller, greener toned whites.
Both have excellent depth.
I can see just a bit more fluctuation in the E8000s image.
Overall presentation is just a bit more lifelike on the E8000 as opposed to more enhanced looking on the GT50.

Lights off, 1080i DirecTV:
Fades to black a are little better on the GT50. Hockey rink looks far more realistic on GT50, with brighter, purer whites. Neither shows much Dirty Screen Effect on hockey with movement and pans, but the GT50 shows more ice texture. A few fleeting times I thought I saw slight DSE, but I might have been looking too hard for it. Neither set fluctuates too much, both are seemingly stable.
The E8000s skin tones can be a bit greenish, or the GT50s skin tones can be a bit reddish, depending on the programming.

Conclusion: The E8000 is my preference by a nose for Blu Ray movies played in light controlled environments, with a slightly more cinematic, relaxed, and lifelike image. However, in other instances the GT50 is a very clear winner: viewing in typical living room lighting is much better on the GT50, as is hockey.

Source : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1400627/o...000-pnxxe8000-owners-thread/660#post_21923627

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back