Picture freezing from Laptop to TV via AVR - Help

RMCWS

I am facing problem with video files being freezed and/or skipping when ever I try to connect my laptop to tv directly or laptop => avr => tv.

My laptop is Acer AOD270, AVR is Yamaha RX V373 and TV is Sony 40 EX430

First I tried to connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI cable, but when ever I try to play the video file (mkv bluray rip) on tv it gets freezed for a moment and/ or often skips (both the audio and video freezes and skips). The general display of the laptop on my tv is perfect though.

This mkv file does not have any issues because:
1. The mkv file plays perfectly when it is played on computer/ laptop (no issues with the codec too)
2. The mkv files plays perfectly when I move the mkv file to usb and play on the tv via the usb port. The file does not seem to have any issue with codec as it plays perfectly when ever it is played directly via usb.

Secondly I connected my laptop to avr and then the avr to the tv (all connection were made by HDMI). Again I faced the same issue, the mkv file got freezed/ skipped. The HDMI cables I am using (one to connect laptop with avr and the other for connecting avr to tv are both local hdmi cables i.e. unbranded and without any known specification)

I am unable to figure out the problem. Is it related to my hdmi cable or there is some setup/ display configuration issues with my laptop? Getting a 1080p branded HDMI cable help? Please guys help.

Thanks in advance.

I could lend you a few HDMI cables to check if its a cable issue.

If you are using both screens, try selecting the secondary (TV) display only.

Firstly, I presume that the laptop without connected to avr is playing fine. I am asking this because it is said that the mkv is played fine on usb.
Hdmi out of laptop is just like screen sharing. Avr has got nothing to do with the image. It just passes it on to tv.
Next is to connect the laptop directly to tv hdmi in and test.

As you have mentioned that you have connected your laptop directly to tv with HDMI cable and still picture is choppy. Its looks to me clear case of dual core atom processor unable to handle the increased resolution of your TV for playback. You can check the same by checking your CPU usage during the playback.
- If CPU usage struck at 100% then clearly your laptop is not capable enough
- If less than 70-80% then its driver issue.

also you need to mentioned what is the file bitrate etc..

Last edited:
Try with some low resolution material connecting to tv directly without avr. Atom is not enough for playing HD on a tv, and there should be some jitter if at all it plays.. Do you have any lag on mouse movements?

I get the lag at times with a MacBook i5 with 4 gb ram, when using two screens..make the tv the primary screen, and use it instead of the laptop screen, and set it up to 1080i or p , the try this again.

I could lend you a few HDMI cables to check if its a cable issue.

If you are using both screens, try selecting the secondary (TV) display only.

Thanks for the offer Shuv. But I have used different types of HDMI cables (though unbranded) but the issue did not get solved.

Firstly, I presume that the laptop without connected to avr is playing fine. I am asking this because it is said that the mkv is played fine on usb.
Hdmi out of laptop is just like screen sharing. Avr has got nothing to do with the image. It just passes it on to tv.
Next is to connect the laptop directly to tv hdmi in and test.

Yes, laptop is working fine. I have tried connecting the laptop directly to the tv but the problem continued.

As you have mentioned that you have connected your laptop directly to tv with HDMI cable and still picture is choppy. Its looks to me clear case of dual core atom processor unable to handle the increased resolution of your TV for playback. You can check the same by checking your CPU usage during the playback.
- If CPU usage struck at 100% then clearly your laptop is not capable enough
- If less than 70-80% then its driver issue.

also you need to mentioned what is the file bitrate etc..

I guess the processor is not powerful enough to playback the file on TV. I will check the cpu usage later.
By the way, details of the file which I played was:

Video
width 1280
height 536
data rate 1050kbps
total bitrate 1146kbps
frame rate 23f/sec

Audio
Bitrate 95kbps
Channels 2(stereo)
Audio sample 48 khs

Try with some low resolution material connecting to tv directly without avr. Atom is not enough for playing HD on a tv, and there should be some jitter if at all it plays.. Do you have any lag on mouse movements?

I get the lag at times with a MacBook i5 with 4 gb ram, when using two screens..make the tv the primary screen, and use it instead of the laptop screen, and set it up to 1080i or p , the try this again.
I will try to play some low res files. However, I do not get any mouse movement lag while normally browsing the pc.

Yes, laptop is working fine. I have tried connecting the laptop directly to the tv but the problem continued.

I guess the processor is not powerful enough to playback the file on TV. I will check the cpu usage later.
By the way, details of the file which I played was:

Video
width 1280
height 536
data rate 1050kbps
total bitrate 1146kbps
frame rate 23f/sec

Audio
Bitrate 95kbps
Channels 2(stereo)
Audio sample 48 khs

I will try to play some low res files. However, I do not get any mouse movement lag while normally browsing the pc.

Maybe not just the cpu, onboard gfx could also be the troublemaker (insufficient). I am not sure if RAM also plays any role in this matter.

Try and experiment with different resolutions on the display you are using for TV and see if it works. I had some issues with my laptop having 720p and my TV being full HD.

I am facing problem with video files being freezed and/or skipping when ever I try to connect my laptop to tv directly or laptop => avr => tv.

My laptop is Acer AOD270, AVR is Yamaha RX V373 and TV is Sony 40 EX430

First I tried to connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI cable, but when ever I try to play the video file (mkv bluray rip) on tv it gets freezed for a moment and/ or often skips (both the audio and video freezes and skips). The general display of the laptop on my tv is perfect though.

This mkv file does not have any issues because:
1. The mkv file plays perfectly when it is played on computer/ laptop (no issues with the codec too)
2. The mkv files plays perfectly when I move the mkv file to usb and play on the tv via the usb port. The file does not seem to have any issue with codec as it plays perfectly when ever it is played directly via usb.

Secondly I connected my laptop to avr and then the avr to the tv (all connection were made by HDMI). Again I faced the same issue, the mkv file got freezed/ skipped. The HDMI cables I am using (one to connect laptop with avr and the other for connecting avr to tv are both local hdmi cables i.e. unbranded and without any known specification)

I am unable to figure out the problem. Is it related to my hdmi cable or there is some setup/ display configuration issues with my laptop? Getting a 1080p branded HDMI cable help? Please guys help.

Thanks in advance.

I do have same issue as yours but its limited to some files only. So as PUSH said it makes more sense to me to check the CPU usage at the time of playing the file which creates the problem. In my case i can not blame the HDMI cable for this as the same cable plays other files without any issues. Again my laptop configuration is i5, 4GB ram, 1GB dedicated graphics card (Radeon 5470) so dont know if it has sufficent juice to play any files.

I do have same issue as yours but its limited to some files only. So as PUSH said it makes more sense to me to check the CPU usage at the time of playing the file which creates the problem. In my case i can not blame the HDMI cable for this as the same cable plays other files without any issues. Again my laptop configuration is i5, 4GB ram, 1GB dedicated graphics card (Radeon 5470) so dont know if it has sufficent juice to play any files.

I believe your there are no issues with your laptop. Mine is Asus A53E with i5, 4GB ram and intel HD graphics only (no dedicated graphics). It can play all files without any problem (I've tried blu ray rips till 17gb).

My tv is also Sony, so I can rule out this option as well.

AFAIK, HDMI cables carry digital signal, so quality doesn't matter. Now coming down to HDMI version specs, could you please try your connection with HDMI 1.4 cable once? I am not really sure though whether the cable is causing the problem.

Can you please try to connect Laptop>TV directly (keeping AVR out of the loop) once?

I believe your there are no issues with your laptop. Mine is Asus A53E with i5, 4GB ram and intel HD graphics only (no dedicated graphics). It can play all files without any problem (I've tried blu ray rips till 17gb).

My tv is also Sony, so I can rule out this option as well.

AFAIK, HDMI cables carry digital signal, so quality doesn't matter. Now coming down to HDMI version specs, could you please try your connection with HDMI 1.4 cable once? I am not really sure though whether the cable is causing the problem.

Can you please try to connect Laptop>TV directly (keeping AVR out of the loop) once?

'AFAIK, HDMI cables carry digital signal, so quality doesn't matter. Now coming down to HDMI version specs, could you please try your connection with HDMI 1.4 cable once? I am not really sure though whether the cable is causing the problem.' So, does it mean no matter the laptop is the pic quality which you see on tv would be same, as tv does the digital signals to pic? But then how come my MacBook Pro shows inferior black levels and tones than my tv's own processing when I use the HDD directly with tv? Or m I missing something , I have another Sony laptop with i5 which is better with this connection.. :)

get a simple stand alone player..media player or blu ray cum media player..and forget these hassles..
let the laptop do computer jobs..

get a simple stand alone player..media player or blu ray cum media player..and forget these hassles..
let the laptop do computer jobs..

Yes, I have already bought a BD player and it is doing a perfect job of a media player too. Not using the laptop anymore, at least for the time being.

:yahoo::yahoo::eek:hyeah:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back