PIL against Music Producers Remixing 90s Bollywood Hits

My Opinion on current Remixing of 90s Songs...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drkrack

I have been quite annoyed by the 90s ( plus / minus 10yrs around it) hits getting badly remixed and being released. These songs carry many good memories which were backed by genuine performances and great music. It was the time when audio tapes / cassettes ruled the music scene. We used to wait for music launches, buy cassettes within first few days of release and had a great time overall. Indian pop scene developed as an alternative to bollywood and many good artists had their launches during this time.

I'm seeing a trend of horribly bad remixes of 90s numbers which are nauseating to listen on FM etc. Many a times they are interlaced with indecent Hindi rap to add a so called happening trend, which makes things even worse. Like Demonetisation to a limping economy, Badshah is to bollywood music in my opinion. Be it a remixed song from movie Tezaab or Ishq, they just leave a bitter taste in your ears, which you can't withstand without complaining. Yes 'you don't like you don't listen ' will be an appropriate response I followed all these years, but they crop up as options on searching on streaming services and passive listening via FM etc, which alters your relation to the particular song. In short, its becoming unbearable day by day. I know I might be sounding too emotional, but music is all about emotions.

Though listeners Reject it bollywood is pushing its creative bankruptcy to newer depths in this form which is pretty disheartening.
Can we file a PIL to stop it? Is it even permissible in the court of law?
I'd love to hear other FMs views on this. Mods can close the thread if its violating any forum rules.

Posting a poll for better understanding, statistically.

Last edited:
Music companies owning the rights to music are legally allowing it so I guess no one can stop them legally
Plus they would be also following legalities of disturbing the money earned amongst original song singer , writer, music director and who ever else according to contract or whatever law prevails for revenue sharing in bollywood or music industry

Best way is to just avoid listening to the new ones and llsyen to original :)

It’s all legal. BTW some of these remixed 90s tracks are big hits with today’s youth and a money spinner for the music companies.

Why limit it to the 90s only? Plenty of remixes from much earlier also.
Purists do frown upon the trend. Gulzar has known to have said that it is a crime to tamper with someones creation.
It’s all legal. BTW some of these remixed 90s tracks are big hits with today’s youth and a money spinner for the music companies.
Curious to know the exact legal situation. Do the remixers need to take any permission from the original copyright holders? Does the Gulshan Kumar loophole still exist?

Remix rights are taken from original rights holders. It’s all done the correct legal way.

Music companies owning the rights to music are legally
It’s all done the correct legal way.
I know it is Legal according to copyright act 1957 (60 yr old Act, More than Songs act Needs to be remixed !), My confusion was about PIL (Public interest Litigation) , Whether a PIL will be upheld in a court of Law, is it even admissible in court ?
I don't know, I think Online Petition seems a better option to get our beloved musicians to take notice. I do like newer songs but original ones.

Created an Online Petition let us see, I sincerely hope we are not a Minority ;)
My goal is to reach 100 signatures and I need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:
https://chn.ge/2JV9et4

If music companies are doing nothing illegal, sharing revenues equally with creative artists and for whatever reason earning also from remixes

Then you think they will stop making them based on petition?

Why not PIL against remakes of TV shows, movies, etc? Even that is abhorrent to some.

Personally I'm against a few, but by and large, I'm not offended by most remixes. Quite a few good memories from remixes of the 2000s from the likes of Bally Sagoo.

My confusion was about PIL (Public interest Litigation) , Whether a PIL will be upheld in a court of Law, is it even admissible in court ?

What will be the basis of your PIL? That you are trying to guard the populace against an attack of bad taste in music? Since when has any individual become the guardian of good taste in music? Or is any individual or group the arbiter of good taste in music? Who appointed them?

For all we know today's youth could be lapping up just those remixes you abhor so much;)

I think what we need more than attacking them is to accept that musical ideas can be expressed in more ways than one, and that plurality can exist.

It is actually a 'good' thing that these tunes are appreciated in this era. New ways to give youngsters an exposure that otherwise they would discard as old people music.If anything, it is keeping the legacy alive. Personally, I think 90's music is just horrendous, as I am a fan of 70's and 80's. As far as banning anything goes, I am absolutely against it. As long as it is not forced upon you, you too should be comfortable with it.

Most remixes are well within the remit of the law....you browse Youtube and you get the world uploaded there....sometimes you get really good mixes which does not spoil or rather murder the originality of the song or tune....it becomes an instant attraction and yes helps the younger generation understand what was hits in the past....

Wherever i can, i do add my comments and likes over Youtube.....i am sure honest feedback will be considered by some so that they make good remixes....

From a revenue perspective, i am sure if not 100% ...most legit cases all stakeholders make some money...

My Idea of this thread is just to know the opinion of majority and I mean no malice. I am an avid Bollywood music listener and will Continue to do so .

Then you think they will stop making them based on petition?
"If You don't Ask, Answer is always a No !"

Personally I'm against a few, but by and large, I'm not offended by most remixes.
Thanks for the input, Kindly Caste your Vote. that will Help your Opinion Consolidate statistically

What will be the basis of your PIL? That you are trying to guard the populace against an attack of bad taste in music? Since when has any individual become the guardian of good taste in music? Or is any individual or group the arbiter of good taste in music? Who appointed them?
Neither I am a guardian, nor the producers are. so the same yardsticks should apply to producers as well, If our feedback is overwhelmingly negative , I am sure they will listen. This thread is to check how many agree with this trend ? I will move forward only and only if I see that majority of us feel this way. I am not at war with Producers, but as a Consumer, I want my Voice or Voices of people who agree with me heard; and that is all we want. Will I stop listening to bollywood if the trend continues or its proved that I am a Minority ? Hell No !
TOI had this to Say
Gulzar, Javed Akhtar , Jagjit singh are few names who showed their discontent to adding indecent Rap versions to the Evergreen Bollywood hits.
Recently a RJ from FM Channel conducted a poll on her FB Page, and Majority didn't like the remixes

The whole premise of PIL is just that, when you want to show your disagreement with a development which is much beyond your control you ask for judicial stand on this matter. If you feel it is not worth a PIL, You would be astonished to know how mundane PILs have been filed.
Finally thanks for your criticism, and caste your vote. ( Probably this maybe an effect of a Long lazy weekend on me ;))

For all we know today's youth could be lapping up just those remixes you abhor so much;)
Maybe, Most people who visit RJ FB page were quite Young I guess.

Wherever i can, i do add my comments and likes over Youtube.....i am sure honest feedback will be considered by some so that they make good remixes....
Good Thing, Doing Nothing will be the worst thing to do.

It is actually a 'good' thing that these tunes are appreciated in this era.
Partly correct, the tunes are already being Plagiarized in various ways, this looks like a menace , especially the interlude Rap Versions to me at least.

Here , People can also share the recent Remixes which they have liked, Or any of those which they liked better than original Songs .

The point here is how can you stop the producers making a remix version of an original song just on basis of percentage of population not liking the idea , when the original creators have given their consent and they get a share of the profit from the remix
OK, you say someone has to raise a voice
You file a PIL

Then what ?
The producers might tell you the same thing what we have been telling you that one can't dictate what is good music and bad music according to individual tatses
And then they will show you documents proving all original creators have given their consent and are given share from the profit

Best we can do is as an individual, stop listening to the remixes, educate the population if you wish so to listen to original rather then the remix

If the preaching is taken in a good spirit or not is solely on the one being preached

Joshua has put it nicely. I think you should not worry too much but find ways to create awareness.
I remember with great effort I got cassettes of MC Hammer and Snow (Informer) and god knows other frightful music. I was disappointed even after effort I could not get Phil Collins 'But Seriously' my one of the favourite artist at that time. Now most of these are gathering dust. Have kept it for old memory's sake. Some times I listen to it and wickedly amuse myself.
Point is we all pass through this phase. Remember our granddad used to love Saigal and others. Elvis, Beatles had bad reputation. With Horrible remixes atleast people come to know original artist. That way atleast ties with the past are not broken. Out of hundred youths some will be moved by the original and carry on the tradition.
Even though I dont understand Classical Music I listen to western and Indian Classical music. Some Jazz. explore some new music through vinyl purchase. So give the young generation some time they will evolve thats how it has been majorly.

Bright - Future

Regards

..... re read the thread in details each posts and links too. Your intention is good and appreciated. What can be done other than filing a PIL ? Any alternative so people have free choice and appreciate original music too. ?

I thnk remix are done to make some surity of movies and albums to make money in unpredictable market. Even the Biggies feel helpless to remixes. Link < She says the majority of responsibility is on recording companies and they should not only focus on money.

So I think you can start some campaign (For recording companies) on face book or other media (am not on facebook) with other people joining in and see how it goes. At least it will generate awareness in media regardless of outcome.
Regards.

Hi,

I am very selective about the Bollywood stuff I listen to. I grew up listening to them exclusively, but beyond nostalgia there is no draw, for me, today.

I've been searching for good quality recordings (note to self : I have to follow up on the excellent Tidal leads fm Nikhil had posted) and found none, that is one reason. The other is that I am umm old and don't listen to any 90s stuff anyway, I was 13 much before that :)

What we need is one angry Quincy Jones :)

ciao
gr

Why can't we just stop hearing something we don't like hiten bhai
No one is going to forcefully come and play in our setup, neither we can stop others from listening

There are so many things available in market which we don't like but can we stop others from using it ?

There is nothing illegal happening

So we just have to simply avoid listening to tracks we don't like to hear to

The original track will remain the same irrespective of how many remixes are made of it

So just enjoy the original, let others enjoy what they want and be happy

All is good unless someone is forcing you to listen something you don't like

True or not ?

The point here is how can you stop the producers making a remix version

PIL is out of question, only an Online petition will work as far as my current understanding goes. Nobody, other than an overwhelming repeated public opinion against this practice can stop them. There are nearly Twenty DJ versions of each hit song available on Youtube, Plus Nonstop Hits etc, I'm Not complaining about them, They are not popular; they are unobtrusive in my day to day life. My Contention is mainly on The newer movies recycling the old songs and employing their advertising machinery to take advantage of adulterated versions of old hits. ( its marketing at work rather than trend popularity) In this process you will be exposed to such songs irrespective of your voluntary acceptance. I am not asking the remix industry to stop overnight, This trend will lead to a creative bankruptcy where recycling will be a norm and affect the overall quality of the bollywood music. Soon, We will have best remixed songs award in filmfare etc . Again that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

BTW if you remember, in 90s we had 'Jhankaar Beats' version of every song , which was argued to be due to popular demand.

I am very selective about the Bollywood stuff I listen to. I grew up listening to them exclusively, but beyond nostalgia there is no draw, for me, today.
Thanks for being pretty straightforward, Option 3 of Poll I think.

All is good unless someone is forcing you to listen something you don't like
Why can't we just stop hearing something we don't like hiten bhai
Not possible entirely, In your home Yes, but in Gym, Public Transport or Cafe etc? You will come across these songs quite often,
than you can control.

There are so many things available in market which we don't like but can we stop others from using it ?
I am not for banning on anybody listening to those songs, I am just gathering a public opinion which can be channeled to respective music producers as a feedback or a majority opinion, who might refrain from doing this , at least in newer film music.

So I think you can start some campaign (For recording companies) on face book or other media (am not on facebook) with other people joining in and see how it goes. At least it will generate awareness in media regardless of outcome.
I am aiming to do the same precisely , but let me gather opinion of fraction of 50k odd music lovers in HFV: the Poll is aimed at that basically. Whether its me only who is annoyed with the trend or everybody else is in the same boat ? Please Vote.

I remember with great effort I got cassettes of MC Hammer and Snow (Informer) and god knows other frightful music. I was disappointed even after effort I could not get Phil Collins 'But Seriously' my one of the favourite artist at that time. Now most of these are gathering dust.
That is the Passion, which makes you think & act like that, which fortunately changes with time !

Elvis, Beatles had bad reputation. With Horrible remixes atleast people come to know original artist.
Its like saying that Eve teasers appreciate feminine beauty, I don't think so, You're doing a disservice to the original artist. Some may or may not show their displeasure publicly , that doesn't mean they approve.

I personally don't think there is a problem with a remix.
If they are following the legal regulations on IP rights then there is nothing more to it.

The reality is that taste is subjective and it is silly to go on a rant about something you don't like.
People and kids nowadays are going to have different tastes in all things including music.
Get over it and move on.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back