Pioneer 220 / 420?

Polaris

Greetings,

Could somebody please advise on the going price for the Pioneer 220 and 420 DVD models? For the former, I'm seeing prices of about Rs. 3600 and I'm not sure if that's reliable. I've seen US prices for as low as USD 59 which is well below this quote.

I'm looking for a decent player to play DVDs and also have USB support to play 480p, 720p and 1080p XViD files via HDMI. The Pioneer was the only cost-effective solution that I could come across. Does anybody have alternate recommendations? Are there any major drawbacks to the above Pioneer models? Also, is the only difference between the 220 and 420 the support for WMVs?

Is there any player that also plays hi-res MKV files?

Many thanks!

Greetings,

Could somebody please advise on the going price for the Pioneer 220 and 420 DVD models? For the former, I'm seeing prices of about Rs. 3600 and I'm not sure if that's reliable. I've seen US prices for as low as USD 59 which is well below this quote.

I'm looking for a decent player to play DVDs and also have USB support to play 480p, 720p and 1080p XViD files via HDMI. The Pioneer was the only cost-effective solution that I could come across. Does anybody have alternate recommendations? Are there any major drawbacks to the above Pioneer models? Also, is the only difference between the 220 and 420 the support for WMVs?

Is there any player that also plays hi-res MKV files?

Many thanks!

Neither of these two Pioneer players will play 720p or 1080p Xvid files, though they will play normal 480p files quite well. If you want to play such files then best to go in for HD media player.
If you are looking at a DVD player which plays .MKV files then have a look at the kaiboer DVD player. I think it's listed on eBay.

Neither of these two Pioneer players will play 720p or 1080p Xvid files, though they will play normal 480p files quite well. If you want to play such files then best to go in for HD media player.

Any idea why? Is it that the processor can't handle them? My HDTV (which has a USB option) suffers from the same problem actually. It can play movies upto 480P only.

If you are looking at a DVD player which plays .MKV files then have a look at the kaiboer DVD player. I think it's listed on eBay.

Thanks. I do see it on eBay for about 9K (320i) which is about 3 times my current budget :S That said, can it handle 1080p XViDs and MKVs? It is certainly tempting. Can I get it for cheaper elsewhere by any chance?

How about Blu-Ray players with USB support? Do they handle 1080p XViDs?

Many thanks for your advice.

Any idea why? Is it that the processor can't handle them? My HDTV (which has a USB option) suffers from the same problem actually. It can play movies upto 480P only.

Yes, I think it is something to do with the processor because to decode .mkv you need more processing power. That is why the old Pentium/AMD based CPUs have a big problemo (like jerky frame rate) playing mkv. I wish it were as simple as a firmware update for DVD players!!!

Thanks. I do see it on eBay for about 9K (320i) which is about 3 times my current budget :S That said, can it handle 1080p XViDs and MKVs? It is certainly tempting. Can I get it for cheaper elsewhere by any chance?

How about Blu-Ray players with USB support? Do they handle 1080p XViDs?

Many thanks for your advice.

To be honest I have no experience with this kaiboer player. In my opinion it is best to get a dedicated HD media player to play movie files via USB, because we all know about the Jack of all trades who is master of none. It's just a personal opinion though, many may disagree..........

well, I think you should go for the trusted & tested Media players which will direclty play your copied files instead of burning them. IMHO its better to spend on 9k for Blu Ray instead of a same price DVD player now days.

Hi Polaris,

My suggestion is go for Iomega Screenplay director (1 TB). which serves purpose here as you can download Most of Bluray movies on net these days it reduces the strain of burning it on DISK ,it can handle 720 and 1080p , mkv formats too , gives out DTS audio output.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies! Following your advice, I'm now looking to splurge on a HD Media player and perhaps ditch the reliance on DVDs and simply convert the lot to VOBs or MKVs.

The Kaiboer certainly looks attractive with its inbuilt DVD player. But I don't see too many reviews about it on the net. The authorized dealer in India only has the 750i (1 pc with Blu-Ray drive) left in his stock. So I'm hesitant to plump for it at the moment.

I guess I'm going to be shopping for a HDD as well :( budget budget budget :/

Thanks again for all your help. I'll move my queries to the HD media player forum.

Hi Polaris

Since I own a Pioneer 220 HD DVD player for my movies and found it to be real good... Better than Phillips DVD 5.1 basic player used before!!!!

Regards

Pramodh

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back