Pioneer BDP-150 3D bluray Player - Is it worth?

Velmurugan

If anyone holds Pioneer BDP-150, please provide your experience...Currently i can find $139 for Region A and $284 for Region free...is it worth?

The BDP LX 55 is available in grey market for 15 to 16k price with plenty of inputs and outputs.

Still i have AV receiver, i don't worry about more inputs/outputs...I want excellent video and audio processing through HDMI from any source..Also looking region free..

Advance thanks..

Vel

I believe that you could do a firmware update yourself for a Panasonic Player. Just have a look at the BDP-220 Thread and then decide.

You could also look at the BDP-220 player if procuring USA. It can be made region free. I have just ordered one from Germany from my sister. Should be getting it by around Christmas Time. Will then look at making it Region Free. What I have heared is that the DVD can be made region Free by a remote and the Blue ray could be made region free by a firmware update.

But seriously i don't think you should spend 120$ + for just getting a region free player. I also spoke with the Panasonic showroom guys and they said they could make the player region free. Just check with them also.

Last edited:
Panasonic Sellers do not know what region free BDP means. Do not count on them. There could be exceptions though.

Buying region locked model 220 or later and making it region free via firmware update by yourself makes more sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Have just recently purchased Pioneer BDP-150. It broke after 3 weeks. As its the holiday season (Dec 24th to Jan 7th), I will not be able to get a response from Panasonic until after the 7th. The fault has been described in other websites (playback freezes, have to unplug from mains to reset) so I believe this is a known and reasonably common issue with this model. Not impressed!!

I have a Pioneer BDP 150 and I am very happy with it. Mine is a region free player. I use it mostly as a SACD player and the data is sent via optical to my DAC.

BluRay performance is excellent. I have not tried 3D on it.

My friend has recently purchased a Pioneer BDP-450 for about Rs 11,500 (grey) and he seems to be pretty happy with it.

He says it is region free but I cant confirm that.

But it sure plays our friendly (read National Market) blu ray and DVD discs.

Vinod

My friend has recently purchased a Pioneer BDP-450 for about Rs 11,500 (grey) and he seems to be pretty happy with it.

He says it is region free but I cant confirm that.

But it sure plays our friendly (read National Market) blu ray and DVD discs.

Are you sure that it is BD? AFAIK most of those grey market BDs are upscaled DVD or MKV version, they calles it BD and also prints a BD on their cover. I am yet to get across a BD in grey market.

Are you sure that it is BD? AFAIK most of those grey market BDs are upscaled DVD or MKV version, they calles it BD and also prints a BD on their cover. I am yet to get across a BD in grey market.

100% it is an original blu ray player model BDP-450.

I have seen the player myself. It does play blu ray discs (these are pirated BDs not upscaled DVD or MKV versions or other it even shows as DTS-MA with BD menu on it) and he even played Tamil and Telegu DVDs other than the blu rays.

He does know how to differentiate and this is probably his 5th or 6th BD player.

Vinod

100% it is an original blu ray player model BDP-450.

I have seen the player myself. It does play blu ray discs (these are pirated BDs not upscaled DVD or MKV versions or other it even shows as DTS-MA with BD menu on it) and he even played Tamil and Telegu DVDs other than the blu rays.

He does know how to differentiate and this is probably his 5th or 6th BD player.

Vinod
ALL pirated DVDs and BDs are region free. When you rip a BD/DVD, it also strips off the region coding, CSS and other copy protection and many other things such as User Operation Prevention etc. So don't take out the champagne bottle out yet. :)

ALL pirated DVDs and BDs are region free. When you rip a BD/DVD, it also strips off the region coding, CSS and other copy protection and many other things such as User Operation Prevention etc. So don't take out the champagne bottle out yet. :)

Now that you put it that way Just4kix, how to make out whether it is a BD or not?

Me personally I plan to go the Amazon import way once my player is in from the US.

Vinod

Last edited:
Now that you put it that way Just4kix, how to make out whether it is a BD or not?

Me personally I plan to go the Amazon import way once my player is in from the US.

Vinod
Only an original BD (and that too Hollywood) may(?) be region coded and will be content protected. 80-90% of BDs are region free ...

• BDs from Universal, Warner Bros., Disney, Paramount, Sony (very surprising), Columbia, Columbia/Tristar, Pixar, Dreamworks, Newline, etc. are almost always region free (I haven't come across any region locked BD from these guys)
  • With 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Miramax, MGM, etc., the chance is 50-50
  • With Summit Entertainment, Optimum, etc., the chances of region-locked BDs is very high
  • Documentaries and TV are almost guaranteed to be region free
  • Further info here: Blu-Ray Studio Region Free/Locked Coding Statistics and Movies List

How to tell whether BD is region locked (from the package slip cover):
  • the back slip cover will usually mention a region code if the BD is locked.
  • Look for the following symbols:
    region_a_thumb.png
    region_b_0.gif
  • If the BD back shows A/B/C symbols or nothing at all, then the BD is not locked.
  • But ... even if the region locking symbol exists or even if the BD says A/B/C, the BD may still be locked. Examples:
    • The US distributed BD of My Cousin Vinny says "A" but it is region free
    • The India BD of The Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian showed A/B/C but it would not play on my Sony Region A player. I sold it off; so I don't know what region it was locked to ... probably C.

Hi Just4kix,

1) I understand the concept of region coding but my question is that the pirated BDs are not BDs?

2) So region modded BDPs like 150 and 450 should handle both type original and pirated fine?

3) How can we make out for sure that a BD disc (Say I give you only the disc and not the box of it) is original or not?

I am sorry if I am derailing this thread, then apologies to the OP.

Vinod

Hi Just4kix,

1) I understand the concept of region coding but my question is that the pirated BDs are not BDs?
A BD is a BD is a BD. Pirated BD is a copy of the original BD.

2) So region modded BDPs like 150 and 450 should handle both type original and pirated fine?
Yes. I don't see why not.

3) How can we make out for sure that a BD disc (Say I give you only the disc and not the box of it) is original or not?

I am sorry if I am derailing this thread, then apologies to the OP.

Vinod
If the BD is an exact 1:1 pirated copy, there is no way to tell from the content. By looking at the physical disc you may be able to tell. If the content of the BD is not 25 GB or more (most movies are that big), it has no extras, sub titles, commentaries, etc. then this is again a giveway.

Let us revert back to the original thread topic now. :)

Hi Vinod,

Please let me know from where Pioneer BDP 450 can be purchsed in Bangalore(grey market)

How do i connect it to integ amplifier as the Pioneer BDP 450 does not have analoge output.

Regards, Amit

Hi Vinod,

Please let me know from where Pioneer BDP 450 can be purchsed in Bangalore(grey market)

How do i connect it to integ amplifier as the Pioneer BDP 450 does not have analoge output.

Regards, Amit
This is very surprising. I haven't come across a BDP that does not have analogue (RCA) output. If indeed, the BDP-450 does not have analogue output, then you have the (costly) option of going via DAC.

Does your amp have HDMI or Coaxial or Optical? Then you could use that also.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back