Pioneer BDP-180

Status
Not open for further replies.

indian21r

Took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Pioneer BDP-180 model from Vector Systems in Hyderabad. Will be delivered in a weeks time. Lots of positive feedback for BDP-170 in the forum triggered the decision:D

My needs were primarily DVD / HDD playback. I was initially looking to pick a DVD player but none of them were supporting the formats that I need on external HDD. Then the decision to buy a blu-ray.

I felt as if digging for gold was easier than finding a Blu ray player with Wifi support & Indian warranty. I mean how many people have ethernet Port planned near a television. Wifi has been there for so long now that it should have been a no-brainer to make it a standard feature. Wifi Blu ray will atleast make older TV's smart.

3D and 4k upscaling are more easily available. I read somewhere that lot of TV makers are now planning to drop 3D. 4k up scaling is feature present in the 4k TV's anyway. So why are the manufacturers stuck on giving us what we may really never use.

That is too much of a rant. I will share the review once I get hold of the player.

Got to go and get some Blu-ray titles

Thanks
Rahul

Hi

Ideally most of the players available in India is region free unless specified by the dealer....mostly we see Region A players in the grey market which is used by most and plays all formats easily....mine does....

Hi

Ideally most of the players available in India is region free unless specified by the dealer....mostly we see Region A players in the grey market which is used by most and plays all formats easily....mine does....

I think this is true only for DVD players in India? BDPs will still be locked to region "C"?
Or is there some new trend?

I think this is true only for DVD players in India? BDPs will still be locked to region "C"?
Or is there some new trend?

Frankly I did not check whether it a region free or not. As I was keen on a wifi model, I did not really check that. Anyway most of my DVDs' / Blu Ray will be India based.

Dealer informed that he has to source it from distributor in either Mumbai or Delhi. Price was Rs 14,000/- with warranty. Distributor mentioned on the pioneer website for Hyderabad quoted at least a month for delivery

Hi,

Thanks for the details. Even I am keen to buy to this product. I had read very positive reviews on 170 model and hope this will also be in same.

Will be waiting for your review.

Regards!

Can u share the name/contact details of the Hyderabad dealer. They're quoting higher prices in chennai, might as well buy from hyd

Can u share the name/contact details of the Hyderabad dealer. They're quoting higher prices in chennai, might as well buy from hyd

Called the Dealer Vector Systems today to know the product status. He informed it may take another 7-10 days before it arrives.

Contact Details

Srinivas Goud
Vector Systems

Took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Pioneer BDP-180 model from Vector Systems in Hyderabad. Will be delivered in a weeks time. Lots of positive feedback for BDP-170 in the forum triggered the decision:D

Congratulations! The BDP-170 is no doubt legendary. I had a tough time sourcing one and then decided to wait for Sony to launch the BDPS-6200/7200, which are the only Sony models offering 4K upscaling.

Do keep us posted on your experience with the BDP-180. I verified that the Sony 6200/7200 models are still not available for sale in India, which makes the Pioneers the best ones to buy at the moment.

Last edited:
What's the point of using WiFi when a large bluray file (let alone a 4k file) is played over dlna. I guess it wouldn't run smoothly. If dlna is a concern, there's no alternative to gigabit lan IMHO.

I mean how many people have ethernet Port planned near a television
Those who are using dlna for movie streaming from nas has atleast a gigabit lan network implemented.

Last edited:
What's the point of using WiFi when a large bluray file (let alone a 4k file) is played over dlna. I guess it wouldn't run smoothly. If dlna is a concern, there's no alternative to gigabit lan IMHO.

Those who are using dlna for movie streaming from nas has atleast a gigabit lan network implemented.

Not entirely true, I have used an N300 router to stream 4K content without any issues, and no gigabit port either. 1080p content will require a lot less bandwidth.

According to Netflix, 4K only needs 20 Mbps, that lies within the purview of even the most basic routers.

Not entirely true, I have used an N300 router to stream 4K content without any issues, and no gigabit port either. 1080p content will require a lot less bandwidth.

According to Netflix, 4K only needs 20 Mbps, that lies within the purview of even the most basic routers.
Does the 4k video that you stream has hd Audio like dts hd ma or something?

I never found WiFi to be good when high speed data transfer or high bandwidth media streaming is concerned. This might be a problem with the equipments I've used so far maybe.

Last edited:
Does the 4k video that you stream has hd Audio like dts hd ma or something?

Kind of a conundrum actually

4K content is limited to Netflix and YouTube (online streaming) and the audio is limited to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Local streaming (from the likes of NAS, external HDD, Blu-ray rips) is limited to 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby Atmos tracks.

Have faced no issues with either streaming.

Need to wait till 2016 for 4K Blu-ray with DTS X and Dolby Atmos to really stress test the local network. Unlikely, online streaming will ever progress beyond Dolby Digital.

I never found WiFi to be good when high speed data transfer or high bandwidth media streaming is concerned.

My own experience has been otherwise, it is easier to get gigabit streaming with Wi-Fi these days with an AC router. Wired network will take entirely new cabling with category 6 ethernet.

PS: I stream everything of an external NAS with a UPnP/DLNA server via Wi-Fi and have never faced any issues.

PS: I stream everything of an external NAS with a UPnP/DLNA server via Wi-Fi and have never faced any issues.

That's good to know. I guess in my case it boils down to personal preference and reliability. [emoji3]

Well! After deliberating over the decision for a few days, I finally ordered the Pioneer PDB-180 on ebay.in.

The final price after the year-end offers from HDFC Bank came to ~ 13950.

Availability of analogue audio outputs, good feedback about the video capabilities of it's predecessor (the 170) made me push the button.

Even I got my BDP 180 yesterday. As soon as I got that, I tried my hands on the 3-D capability (that I never tested before for my Benq 1070).
Though played using a Pendrive...but, it still was very nice.

Not sure if it can produce a Dolby Sound, if we play any movie by USB port.
Any idea ?

Well! After deliberating over the decision for a few days, I finally ordered the Pioneer PDB-180 on ebay.in.

The final price after the year-end offers from HDFC Bank came to ~ 13950.

Availability of analogue audio outputs, good feedback about the video capabilities of it's predecessor (the 170) made me push the button.

Does it comes with warranty?

Yes, it comes with "manufacturer warranty". I'm very very particular about it.

Found the seller to be very well informed. In fact, he even suggested an alternate product, but the analog out on the Pioneers makes them stand out, and therefore, I bit the bullet.

Can you please share the seller name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back