Pioneer LX304 Review

ash4640

I will be doing the review of this AVR in parts over time.
I received my unit a couple of days back and I have been to listening to streaming Music on it using just the Pioneer two SP FS52 speakers.
Note: I still haven't connected the receiver and done the initial setup, as I'm waiting for my TV still.

Review 1: Streaming Music via Bluetooth, Mode: Pure Direct
Two FS52 speakers connected with bandridge 12 gauge copper wire. No speaker calibration done.
Genre 1: Pop Music - Played many songs from various Artists like Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Ed Sheeran etc, the vocals were crystal clear, bass was punchy; sometimes very rarely the mids and lows separation was not that good (only on few songs). But I could immediately tell that this AVR is definitely a beast on Music too.
Genre 2: Indian (Bollywood and South) - I listened to Rahman songs from Dilse, Bombay, Rang De basanti, Rockstar etc. Chaiye Chiaye: I could feel the tracks below my feet (don't know if the clarity was because of FS52 or the AVR but AVR has to process it for the speaker to sound good) and many times I felt as though I was hearing it on my Sony MX1000 m3 because of the details the speaker could pick. Muqabla song (instrument arrangement of this songs is still one of the best), especially the bass (lows) and highs in this song are well separated and I could clearly hear it coming out from the speakers. I listened to few tamil sound tracks of his too from a maniratnam movie - songs Hayati and Bhoomi, this song has some great guitar riffs that sounded great.
Genre 3: EDM and Trance: Avicii, Swedish house mafia, Tiesto, Infected Mushrooms etc, right from the trippy punchy bass tracks to deep bass of Mushrooms this avr did not have a problem handling it.
Genre 4: Rock and Guitar heavy songs: This AVR can really those highs and mids.
Never listened to Aventage series, but my guess this powerful yet clear Avr can match to them.

Congratulations for new AVR, AVR will take certain time to show it's TRUE potential . It will need room calibration and acoustic tuning for better performance. As the time progresses, you will come to know the strength of this avr and you will be able to fine tune it in better ways. Thanks for initial impression. There are so may FM willing to invest in Pioneer but most of time follows the traditional route of Denon, Marantz and Yamaha.

one of my friend too recently got a Pioneer 304, i would say the power of the D class amp is clean,but felt a little brighter than my Denon.
Also the user interface is quite basic and remote buttons lacking tactile feel.
We didnt get good result with the Mcac room correction,with it Off SQ was much better.
Also after the software update,DTS neural X upmixer doesnt work on the Dolby tracks,but only on dts-hd inputs. whereas no such issue on my Denon.

Review 2: Movies via Netflix and Prime.
Speaker Setup: 3.1 with no subwoofer.
Two FS52 speakers and Center C22 connected with bandridge 12 gauge copper wire.
No room calibration is done yet.
I recently got my OLED C955 so connected the TV ARC to the Receiver and watched both Netflix and Prime movies in Atmos and 5.1 sound.
Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, Sound preset DD+
Movies
Movie 1: Irishman:
It is a visually stunning movie with some good bgm. Set in the 1960’s it has a lot of cello, drums, harmonica and trumpet music when there are action sequences lot of warm bass fills the scene; lx304 can handle all the highs of the harmonica and the drums really well and makes you feel right next to the action.
Movie 2: 6 Underground: An michael bay movie, so expect all the heavy car crashes to the helicopter whirring sounds all over. The movie is action-filled and visually stunning in dolby vision (and in C9, that’s altogether a different review). This receiver with just 3.1 and in DD+ made me feel the road below in car chases and the supersonic jets flying above my head. There is one sequence where few jets bomb a small crowded street, during this scene I really felt the lows during the bomb explosions. Without a sub and just two good floor standing speakers and a center (which I don’t consider as it is more for the dialogues), this receiver could throw punch and the separation was really good.
Movie 3: Highywaymen: A movie set in the 1940s with some good cinematography and great bgm. I chose this movie, especially it had lots of peppy jazz music of the early 40’s. This lx304 can really separate the instruments (especially in jazz which is a challenge). While seeing this movie I not only felt I was in the theatres like when watching the other movies, but I could see how good this pioneer felt than my old onkyo (which is a good receiver by itself).
Web Series
I-Land:
Though a bad series not to the level of LOST, watched it as it had Atmos. I just watched 2 episodes as it was drag after that. But the visuals and sounds kept me engaged till whatever I saw. The lows of the sea rumbling and the suspenseful music were well handled by the receiver. Again just a good 3.1 made me feel like being in theatres.

Thoughts: Till now this receiver sounds great especially during the movies it feels as though I was in the theatres. Even with music it was not a slouch (even I threw some old herp albert and tijuana brass music, which was handled well, I will save it for the next review).
Go for this if you want a midrange feature rich receiver, this doesn’t support eARC like it’s bigger brother lx504, so decide which one is for you. But this might obviously not sound like the expensive elite ones or the really expensive denon or marantz. But this can definitely match or even surpass the 3600H during the movies.
Also I haven’t fixed my BS22 as my surrounds as I’m still waiting for a good subwoofer matching my current pioneer setup (any suggestions)
Once I have it will do my next music and movie review of this receiver in its full 5.1 glory.
Note: Admin pls allow updating the old post itself so this doesn’t have to go as a reply and flow into consecutive pages.

one of my friend too recently got a Pioneer 304, i would say the power of the D class amp is clean,but felt a little brighter than my Denon.
Also the user interface is quite basic and remote buttons lacking tactile feel.
We didnt get good result with the Mcac room correction,with it Off SQ was much better.
Also after the software update,DTS neural X upmixer doesnt work on the Dolby tracks,but only on dts-hd inputs. whereas no such issue on my Denon.
I know it is an old thread. But I would like to point out that LX304 isn't class D, it's has proper Class A/B amp. Only high end Receivers with more power utilize Class D. LX304 spec says it's power consumption is 760 W. A Class D doesn't need so much power. For example, SC-LX704 takes only 310W of power as it employs Class D.

I am wondering if LX304 would give better sound quality compared to it's costlier sibling. I have LX302 and it's music quality is better than what I expected from an AV Receiver.

Hi..dont have much experience in gulf buying but a friend is coming in Jan. This ad believable and if so worth it? around 45K for a supposedly brand new 304

It's 110/120v. I'd say not worth the trouble unless you're based outside India where the electricity supply is the same.

It's 110/120v. I'd say not worth the trouble unless you're based outside India where the electricity supply is the same.
Well my existing pioneer which is 12 yrs old and still going strong is also 110V..so what that means is 4-5K extra for step down transformer. But yeah, that does add to the cost. was looking at some videos on YouTube for reviews. Some Chennai guy was offering new for 77K. Not sure if it comes with Bill and warranty. Will check tomorrow.

Not sure how a 3 year old 304 compares with Denon 2700H as both are in similar price brackets in India. While Denon has 4K 120 and all that, the Pioneer has the Elite branding and is 9.2. good if expert folks on this panel give their views - not just for second hand purchase like mine but for someone who is willing to spend 75K and has to consider these options.

I will just be using it for 1080p. Hence most high end features are useless for me

Last edited:
Well my existing pioneer which is 12 yrs old and still going strong is also 110V..so what that means is 4-5K extra for step down transformer. But yeah, that does add to the cost. was looking at some videos on YouTube for reviews. Some Chennai guy was offering new for 77K. Not sure if it comes with Bill and warranty. Will check tomorrow.

Not sure how a 3 year old 304 compares with Denon 2700H as both are in similar price brackets in India. While Denon has 4K 120 and all that, the Pioneer has the Elite branding and is 9.2. good if expert folks on this panel give their views - not just for second hand purchase like mine but for someone who is willing to spend 75K and has to consider these options.

I will just be using it for 1080p. Hence most high end features are useless for me
There’s no comparison between the LX-304 and Denon 2700. The only thing the 2700 has is 8K on one input, which, if you don’t care about, is irrelevant. The LX-304 has better amplification, more power per channel, more channels, and I’ve heard consistently Pioneer is more robust than Denon

There’s no comparison between the LX-304 and Denon 2700. The only thing the 2700 has is 8K on one input, which, if you don’t care about, is irrelevant. The LX-304 has better amplification, more power per channel, more channels, and I’ve heard consistently Pioneer is more robust than Denon
The LX-304 also has 2 zone video, IMAX Enhanced

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back