Pioneer-S-51W-150W - Review

ramanujb

Hi everyone, I am looking for an active subwoofer, I have a Marantz SR 5200 with Polk TSX 330. I am looking at Pioneer-S-51W-150W as an option, it comes for around 14K. I will be buying it from Amazon, so don't really have the option to test it. I could not find good reviews of the product on the internet, so looking forward to your thoughts. Would there be anything else in this price range that you'd suggest. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Hi everyone, I am looking for an active subwoofer, I have a Marantz SR 5200 with Polk TSX 330. I am looking at Pioneer-S-51W-150W as an option, it comes for around 14K. I will be buying it from Amazon, so don't really have the option to test it. I could not find good reviews of the product on the internet, so looking forward to your thoughts. Would there be anything else in this price range that you'd suggest. Looking forward to your suggestions.

You can find better but not at all at this price range... to start making a difference you need to stretch the budget.
You need Solid, not murky, room filling bass for listening to music, Jazz, rock, classical... I recommend the Polk family sub woofers.

Polk Audio PSW125 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single Black): Amazon.in: Electronics

Thank you for your reply, however, at this point I am not quite planning to stretch on the budget, just wanted something which can give me company for a couple of years.

Hi

The SW-8 designed by AJ will be much better...ofcourse you need to audition first and decide.....

Hi, I use the same SUB, read my review here:

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/58084-wtb-budget-subwoofer-yamaha-yht-196-a-2.html#post655367

Regards,
Rajiv

Do you want my Polk Subwoofer PSW 505.....12 inch and a mind blowing and breathtaking bass...Just go through the net, its awesome and most sought after sub. I am selling since my brother got me one more from Singapore......But I am staying in Mumbai...if anyone interested.......the selling price is Rs.20000/- purchased for Rs.45000/-.

Thanks Rajiv for your post, this really helps, particularly your comment "bass is more tight than boomy". Given my budget constraint, I will probably go ahead with this, the specs always looked good for this model. Also, I don't play music at a very high volume. I also hope that you feel it stands the test of time.

Amedius, I am based out of Bangalore unfortunately, also I am planning to use my amazon vouchers for this purchase.

hi all4music,

sorry for a delayed response. I finally took a chance and bought this subwoofer. Here is a brief on the performance.

Before I start, let me talk a bit about the set up. I connected it to the SW outlet of my Marantz SR5200. I did not make any changes to the speaker settings on the amplifier, since I don't have a monitor for the visual. So the front speakers are still tagged as 'Big'. I have a pair of Polk TSX 330 for the front speakers.

The settings on the subwoofer are the following -
1. the volume knob is kept between 8 - 9 o'clock
2. phase is off

I usually play the following tracks for testing a system -
1. Sultans of Swing - Studio Version (Original Audio CD)
2. Don't know why I didn't come - Norah Jones (Burned CD)
3. Nayan Tarse - DevD (Burned CD)

I played from my Philips DVD player (basic one). I seriously can't complain. I was quite awed to hear the sound - the Cello was deep, drums were not boomy at all and for Nayan Tarse, the thump was perfect. Increasing the woofer volume didn't lead to any major disappointments.

I am sure there are better subwoofers (there definitely are), but for my requirement this suits me great. Later I played Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, at low volume, it was simply amazing.

I didn't want to get the kind of sound you get in pubs, with their super powerful glass cracking bass, so this kind of made my music system complete. I will wait the years for my ears to get more refined, may be I will have better views and would be able to critique better but for now I can't complain. I took a chance at this, because in some ways I didn't want to wait further to get the top notch quality. I have no regrets, so if you are planning for a low budget sub, please give this a shot, you'd probably get places to audition this, else am in Bangalore feel free to get in touch :).

Btw, after the addition of the sub, I have stopped sleeping in my bedroom because the system is in the drawing room.

Happy listening, please let me know if you have any questions on the sub.

Ramanuj.

thanks for the detailed impressions!
i went ahead and bought a used Yamaha YST-SW215P though a forum member.
still playing around with sub placement [this is for a stereo setup]. overall performance is good : but needs different volume levels [and/or freq cut off] for techno vs other genres of music. for now i have covered the woofer port with styrofoam and it seems to have a good effect.

PS: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue , just wow! for me it used play just fine on my monitors alone but volume level had to be at/beyond halfway mark. let me try it with sub now!

How can I filter the freq?The sub is nice but it plays the hi freq too,I use it with 2 active speakers also pioneer S-DJ80X so no amp connected to the sub .
please HELP

How can I filter the freq?The sub is nice but it plays the hi freq too,I use it with 2 active speakers also pioneer S-DJ80X so no amp connected to the sub .
please HELP

With no on board crossover settings, the sub will play what ever is sent to it. Ideally in my opinion this sub needs a receiver at the minimum which can do bass management.

You could try using something like this https://m.ebay.in/itm/112322447059?...4686-213761-11394-85%26rvr_id%3D1185219568835

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back