Pioneer SP-FS52-LR vs Yamaha NS-8390.

coprocessor

Which one would you folks prefer? Need to strictly keep it to these two models. Also, any specific reasons to choose one over the other? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Which one would you folks prefer? Need to strictly keep it to these two models. Also, any specific reasons to choose one over the other? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

If you get Pioneer SP-FS52-LR go for it as its has better sound stage compared to Yamaha NS-8390. But very hard to get currently.

Pioneer SP-FS52-LR, has been using this over a year now & very satisfied with it. But again audition both & pick the one sounds best to you, that's the key :)

If possible try & audition these on same AVR & under similar demo environment to get precise outcome. All the best !

Regards,
Binu
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42PJ650 Plasma | Denon 1612 | Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones | Bose Acoustimass Series 3 |

Pioneer FS52 with eyes closed. In my audition i found the Yamaha's to be bass heavy. The AJs are more refined and musical. Audition before deciding on anything.

Cheers

I was wondering about the same but went with Pioneer for its reputation and rave reviews. I just ordered it from Ebay.in from seller "audiovisualguru"

I have not received it but hoping for best experience with the speakers

Thats not even a comparison. Those Pioneers are leagues ahead of the Yamaha 8390. Between these two, Pioneer trumps the Yamahas in every aspect. However, what you need to see is the amp that will be driving them. Get an amp with enough power to make the Pioneers sing.

MaSh

Pioneer SP-FS52-LR, has been using this over a year now & very satisfied with it. But again audition both & pick the one sounds best to you, that's the key :)

If possible try & audition these on same AVR & under similar demo environment to get precise outcome. All the best !

Regards,
Binu
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG 42PJ650 Plasma | Denon 1612 | Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones | Bose Acoustimass Series 3 |

Pioneer FS52 with eyes closed. In my audition i found the Yamaha's to be bass heavy. The AJs are more refined and musical. Audition before deciding on anything.

Cheers

Thats not even a comparison. Those Pioneers are leagues ahead of the Yamaha 8390. Between these two, Pioneer trumps the Yamahas in every aspect. However, what you need to see is the amp that will be driving them. Get an amp with enough power to make the Pioneers sing.

MaSh

what kind of sound would you'll describe the pioneers as having? which other brand would you'll categorise them with?

getting audition for these will be next to impossible since they're not even available easily

Pioneer SP-FS52 can be compared with other brands like Yamaha NS-F160 or Onkyo SKF-4800 or Polk T50/TSx330 series, which are almost on the same line when compared to config & price too.

Pioneer SP-FS52 are well designed spks, you have to pair it up with right receiver to get maximum out of it. It has got clean/detailed sounds with tight bass response. As its back ported spks ensure you have some distance betwn wall & the spks. No distortion on high volumes, however haven't gone to the max vol as i stay in apartment ;)

If your unable to get hold of Pioneer, i strongly recommend you should audition Yamaha NS-F160 these are excellent & VFM :thumbsup: That was my backup plan if i wouldn't have got Pioneer.

Cheers,

The best part about the Pioneers is that these are very natural sounding. These aren't too bright or too bassy.... Just perfectly balanced.

I've heard these with Pioneer VSX-524 and also with a 30 watt NAD stereo amp. Even with that low mid-range receiver it sounds great. With NAD it just came alive and sounded bigger and fuller.

Feed them with a good powered amp and they will treat you with some amazing aural pleasure.

Cheers

The best part about the Pioneers is that these are very natural sounding. These aren't too bright or too bassy.... Just perfectly balanced.

I've heard these with Pioneer VSX-524 and also with a 30 watt NAD stereo amp. Even with that low mid-range receiver it sounds great. With NAD it just came alive and sounded bigger and fuller.

Feed them with a good powered amp and they will treat you with some amazing aural pleasure.

Cheers
hi,

as i have ordered it, i will use it with my existing pioneer 524 avr. Can you say how much difference in sound quality if i pair it with a separate stereo amplifier like you have mentioned.

Hello gurujee,

I can tell you only one thing about the difference. The performance with AVR is good but once you hookup the speakers with a stereo amp you will never listen to music using the AVR again, that's a guarantee.
With a stereo amp the sound just opens up, its bigger and fuller. Even if it is 40 wpc, a dedicated stereo amp will beat any AVR in music performance.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello gurujee,

I can tell you only one thing about the difference. The performance with AVR is good but once you hookup the speakers with a stereo amp you will never listen to music using the AVR again, that's a guarantee.
With a stereo amp the sound just opens up, its bigger and fuller. Even if it is 40 wpc, a dedicated stereo amp will beat any AVR in music performance.

Cheers

oh.. that's nice. but seems another investment down the line :eek:

as you mentioned,
Code:
40 wpc dedicated stereo amp will beat any AVR in music performance
a 40 watt marantz pm5005 can drive them to their ability?

Well I haven't tried the Marantz amp but the 30 watt NAD could able to drive them pretty nicely so going by that a 40 watt Marantz amp should be able to make it sing even more effortlessly.

If budget is limited look at the "for sale" section or check out the HiFi Ads website.

Cheers

@BassHead & @apbinu

would you'll say pioneer is more like american sound (forward speakers like polk, klipsch etc, better for movies) or british (warm speakers like wharfedale etc, better for music)

Honestly I have never tried any AVR except the VSX 524 in Pioneers lineup which sits at the lower mid range. So I cannot comment on the other Pioneer AVRs. The 524 sounded good for movies but its definitely not for music. I mean if you're some one who is new to the HiFi world then you will surely like it but if you have Marantz, Yamaha or Denon to compare with then Pioneer doesnt stand a chance (the low range). This is just my personal opinion.

Although I have heard the higher range AVRs (800 series and above) from Pioneer are very good and competes very well with the competition.

Again I would like to say here, for purely music listening purpose stereo amps are the best and for movies AVRs. But if you want something which can deliver both, go with Marantz. A little expensive than others but worth the money.

Cheers

Last edited:
Well I haven't tried the Marantz amp but the 30 watt NAD could able to drive them pretty nicely so going by that a 40 watt Marantz amp should be able to make it sing even more effortlessly.

Cheers

These wattage numbers are quite tricky to understand. I have two stereo amps and a receiver. NAD 35w, Pioneer 50w and Marantz receiver 50w. The NAD trumps the other two in the way it drives the speakers, the details that it brings out, the dynamics, etc.

@BassHead

i was asking about sound sig of pioneer spkrs not avr :p

Pioneer speakers will not be warm. They will be laid back and on the livelier side.

MaSh

These wattage numbers are quite tricky to understand. I have two stereo amps and a receiver. NAD 35w, Pioneer 50w and Marantz receiver 50w. The NAD trumps the other two in the way it drives the speakers, the details that it brings out, the dynamics, etc.

Pioneer speakers will not be warm. They will be laid back and on the livelier side.

MaSh
please suggest one AVR and one stereo amp under 50k for them which will be best for the pioneer towers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back