Pioneer VSX-523-K with HarmonKardon HKTS35

girish_sutar

Hey Guys,

I am from Pune and looking at setting up a Home Theatre. Room size is 12 X 10 and my budget is approx 1 Lac, with around 40K for AVR and 60K for speakers

Demo options look very less around here. Yesterday I visited Sound Factor and auditioned Pioneer VSX-823-K with Harman Kardon HKTS 35 5.1 Channel Home Theatre Speakers.

Speaker set sounded very powerful with vocals very crisp. Also the AVR with its specs seems has enough power to drive these speakers as well as can accomodate future upgrades. I was quoted Rs.41000/- for receivers and Rs.50000/- for speaker set.

Also Melvin from Sound Factor was polite and they looked very professional.

I am quite happy with the system and fits well within my budget considering the additional cabling part.

Only worry is I havent heard much about the Harmon Kardons on this forum and also most of us audiophiles go gaga only about Yamaha and Denon (also Cambridge and Marantz which will leave me very less budget for speakers).

Also within Pune I am finding very lesser options where I can get demo of systems within my budget.

Meanwhile I have also written the HiFi Mart guys keeping in mind the competitive price they offer, and they said that they can make dem/audition available at Mumbai.

I have almost finalized on this combo, however thought to comeback to you guys for your views/comments.

Regards,
Girish

iguess you can get the vsx 823k for 34500 from hifi mart, if you have a budget of 40000 for avr y not go for yamaha 575 or denon x1000 or even marantz 1604

I checked with AV Melody, one of the dealers here in Pune. For Marantz he quoted me Rs. 50000. Else would like to go for Marantz, although I haven't heard it ever [emoji19]

Also Denon I found it little subtle and soft which I heard at Sound Factor, it was connected to the Focal Speakers

RXV-477 with HarmonKardon HKTS35 or Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP

Hello Guys,

Seriously need your help on this.

Instead of Pioneer I am now considering to go with RXV-477. However confused with the Speaker Package.

I liked the Harmon Kardon HKTS35 which I reviewed at Sound Factor.

Need your help if we compare this with WHARFEDALE MOVIESTAR MS-100 HCP which is listed at Rs.39,000/- on HiFiMart and the HKTS 35 is priced at Rs 49,990/-

I have attached the technical specs from their respective websites and find HKTS better in terms of tech specs.

Can you please suggest which one would be better?

Regards,
Girish

Attachments

• Tech Specs - Wharfedale vs HarmonKardon.jpg
    Tech Specs - Wharfedale vs HarmonKardon.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 113
that right,found it little subtle and soft which I heard at Sound Factor, it was connected to the Focal Speakers thanks
9B7ES5

Add Energy RC Micro 5.1 in your list. Can check in ONKYO stores but you need to bargain hard to get the right price

Until and unless you listen it yourself, it's hard to know which one is better. Specifications are altogether a different story.

Thanks Vinay2013 and bpranay for your views.

Today I auditioned Paradigm CT100 with Marantz 1504 and Energy Take 5.1 with Denon 500 at AV Xcellence.

Paradigms with Marantz sounded very sweet, crisp and clear. Would say they were just perfect! Niether more loud nor more subtle!!
Later on I was switched to Energy with Denon which just could not match the delivery of Paradigms. However the vocals were outstanding on Energy. It felt like the dialogues were just being delivered right in front of me :lol::lol: Definitely +2 for the Mids on Energy!

Coming to the quotes, Paradigm with Marantz was quoted at Rs. 1,10,000/- and Energy with Denon at Rs. 70,000/-. Cabling and Installation to be charged additionally.

I did ask about any other options available with them, however the sales guy was just so happy to pitch only Marantz and Paradigm to me. As per him the Yamaha, Pioneers are too harsh. He sounded too harsh to criticize my favorites - Yamaha :mad::mad: I will not get into those details here as I know there would be few more Yamaha fans here who would not like it........

I am finally concluding on the Harmon Kardon HKTS35 with Pioneer VSX823 because although Paradigms were sweet, crisp and clear, I did not get the punch or felt the roar and thunder like the HarmonKardons gave me!!! Professionalism of the Sound Factor guys also adds why I am leaning more towards this option and I believe they would be of good assistance even after-sales, HOPEFULLY!

Now question is how would Harmon Kardon HKTS35 go with Yamaha 477, any views here would be appreciated!!!

Meanwhile I would be also looking for Wharfedale and Pioneer Andrew Jones AJ-5235XT (the entire internet is in praise with the Andrew Jones like crazy)

I would also like to thank hemantwaghe here for his guidance over the call. He gave some really good insights in the almost 30 minutes discussion which we had. ;)

Regards,
Girish

Last edited:
haven't listened to pioneer AJs ... will do soon enough and share
i did listen to some wharf and can't understand the hype about them
very muddy and suppressed sound

Finally.... Have booked the Pioneer VSX 823 with the Harmon Kardon HKTS35. Have some interior work going on, once completed will take get the system home...... Yuppie!!!

Back