Planars vs dynamic headphones

krishtrinity

After a long wait finally got my hands on 3 headphones that i was waiting for long time,the fidelio x2 i have been using for a while and i still think it's amazing value for the money.The new ones fostex mk3 and monoprice monolith m560 managed to blow me away more than even the x2,this is a comparison review of the 3 headphones
http://imgur.com/9Ftg6eX

Fidelio X2
http://imgur.com/ha1e9k9
This is the most expensive headphone i owned to date and the headphone looks the part to,extremely comfortable to wear you could wear this headphone for hours and is my go to gaming and movie headphones.The build quality is great and looks stunning,it's built to last and even though it is my daily driver it hasn't aged a day.
Moving on to the sound,sound is not at all neutral and can be described as a fun sound signature.There is a noticeable bass boost,slight dip in the mids and the highs are slightly recessed but still enjoyable with almost all genres.The headphone is certainly tuned to the masses and is not for analytical listeners for those people it's better to invest in hd600 but what the sennheisers can't do is the bass.The bass on these is great,not the tight bass but boomier headphone vibrating bass that will make you head bobbing to your favourite edm,metal or rock tracks.Best thing about this headphones is that it sounds great with almost all the genres of music.

Fostex mk3
http://imgur.com/k5BHc1Y
This is my first experience with planar magnetic headphone.To my knowledge this is the cheapest planars you could buy right now but the sound that comes out the headphones is not cheap at all,to my ears they sound clear and neutral,tight bass with nice mids and crystal clear highs that doesn't sound harsh a bit.The sound feels different from the dynamic headphones i heard to date,the major disadvantage with the dynamics i have heard is that it could either do bass region well or can sound neutral but at the cost of less bass with the planars there is no such problem it sound full that can do great with every genre.It doesn't have the awesome mids of the hd600 but it fostex to my ears have way better bass and as good or better highs and all of this comes for a price of 150$.The main problem is that it needs heavy amping and i don't mean fiio k5 even the magni has to be driven to the max to get it's full potential.You could use upto 3w with the MK3 so total cost to get it to it's potential can easily stretch upto 500$ and it's still worth it.

Monoprice Monolith m560
http://imgur.com/V04PNSB
I had a weird experience with this headphone,i had a mixed feeling when i saw the pictures it looked weird but after taking it my hands found it to be one of the best built headphones that i have ever seen in my life,even the X2 feels cheap compared to the m560,the removable magnetic covers allow it to be used as closed or open,highly recommend to use as open as it affects the sound when it's closed.
Right out of the box it sounded like average headphones,literally no bass,mids was there but sounded like the takstars,highs was not special either.Felt ripped off to be truthful but i have seen reviews that it needs atleast a day of burn in to get it to sound normal.So after 3 or 4 days of use the sound changed completely, bass was tight and awesome,mids and highs where even better than the mk3,although i think i am not driving the mk3 even to it's half.Instrument seperation on this headphone is mindblowing better than any headphone i have heard to date.The sound and build quality it has easily makes it pass for a headphone twice the price.Comparing to the x2 it has more analytical sound but just as fun,using the x2 after the m560 the sound needs getting used to,it's hard to go back the bassy x2 after listening to detailed sound signature of the 560.

Overall i would choose monoprice m560 over x2 and mk3 any day,they are easy to drive sounds awesome and built like a tank(literally).For 200 bucks i bet you can't find a better sounding and better built headphones

Last edited:
Nice comparison......

Any comments on how these sound with respect some of the other mid-level industry darlings such as HD600/650/6xx or AGK7xx series - in case you had a chance to hear any of these?

Best,
apk

Nice comparison......

Any comments on how these sound with respect some of the other mid-level industry darlings such as HD600/650/6xx or AGK7xx series - in case you had a chance to hear any of these?

Best,
apk
Only heard couple of songs on hd600,really liked them.I prefer fostex and m560 over hd 600 .But this is from memory so don't take my word for it

Only heard couple of songs on hd600,really liked them.I prefer fostex and m560 over hd 600 .But this is from memory so don't take my word for it

Ok.....thanks. I was only trying to get a reference point. Even I have only heard the HD600 for a little time a couple of years ago. I had liked them quite a bit then.

Best,
apk

I recently moved from Dynamic to Planars too.
Was using Beyerdynamic DT990 for a long time along with Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear,HD598,HD600 on and off.
I recently got the HiFIMan HE400i and I am blown away by the SQ. Currently using them with a Bravo3 and Schiit Vali2 headphone amp.
The detail and speed of these things are amazing.
Over all they are closest to the HD600. Would definitely recommend Planars.

Was using Beyerdynamic DT990 for a long time along with Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear,HD598,HD600 on and off.
I recently got the HiFIMan HE400i and I am blown away by the SQ. Currently using them with a Bravo3 and Schiit Vali2 headphone amp.

Congrats on your purchase!

Are the HiFiMan's comfortable to wear? I hear that they are quite heavy phones, and a bit uncomfortable. Again - only from what I have heard - no actual experience with these.

best,
apk

Congrats on your purchase!

Are the HiFiMan's comfortable to wear? I hear that they are quite heavy phones, and a bit uncomfortable. Again - only from what I have heard - no actual experience with these.

best,
apk
Personally I find them light and very comfortable. But in Indian weather it can get a bit hot if you aren't near a fan or AC.
I think you are thinking of the older 400 or 5xx series which ARE heavy.
If you are concerned about weight you can go for the 400S at the expense of cheaper build quality.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

M560 based on reviews are competing directly with the he400i,hopefully this will make hifiman bring new headphones that are more affordable.Would like to get my hands on m1060 as well.Still would love to own hd600,their mids is really special

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back