Planning a trip to God's Own Country !!

anubisX

Guys, I'm thinking of visiting Kerala this December. I'm planning for at least 6N stay in there. I need suggestion and recommendation from you guys.

-Places to visit
-Backwater ride
-Budget hotels

Varkala is a great place, highly recommended. Check out Alleppey and the back waters, possibly Wayanad if possible. A day or two around Ernakulam is also good-Jews Town, Fort Cochin etc.

Anubis, are you coming with family/kids/friends? What are your interests? Where are you landing (if coming by flight)?

FYI the backwaters boat cruise starts and ends from both(opposite) shores-Alleppey or Kumarakom, you select whatever is more convenient. Once you firm up a bit I will suggest a couple more places to visit.

Anubis,

Some suggestions. Others, please chip in...

1. Varkala - Chill
2. Kollam - Kottayam/Alleppy by District Tourism Promotion Council boat. Cheap and supposed to be very good. It has been on my list; however, never got to do it.
3. Kumarakom/Alleppy - Houseboat. Day trip will be ~5K and Night ~10K. Changes based on season. Alternately, many of the resorts in Kumarakom/Alleppy offer complementay hosueboat trip for 30min to 1 hr.
4. Kumarakom - resort as an alternate to houseboat
5. Alleppy/Mararikulam - near beaches, if you are a beach person
6. Kochi - Fort Kochi area, if you want to explore old streets, Jewish Synagogue, St. Thomas Church etc.
7. Munnar/Thekkady - Wild life/Hill Station
8. Wayanad - Hill Station
9. Bekal - Beach

Varkala and Kollam are south Kerala, Wayanad and Bekal - Northern Kerala and others mid-kerala.

Thanks a lot for the inputs. It's really gonna help a lot. Why are the charges of those houseboats so much ? Can't we find something smaller ? We're just 2.

Yes, will do that. It's not possible to cover everything in 6-7 days. So I'm thinking of covering half now and half next year in March-April.

There are smaller house boats (HB) also ( I've seen a few honeymooning couples) on these smaller boats. However, do not miss this backwater HB ride with an overnight stay on it. It is like going to Agra & not see the Taj. The food they offer on the HB is heavenly. Especially if you are armed with stock of your fav poison.:eek:hyeah:

You can plan your Cochin, Kottayam and Allepey visits one after the other. Munnar is easily accessible from Cochin(120kms) and a must visit.

Wyanad on the other hand, is about 7 hours away.

You could do something like:
Cochin : Fort Kochi,Synagogue, Beach, Food at Dal Roti, Kaashi Art Cafe etc
Cochin-Munnar: Spend 2 days and one night in Munnar. Visit Maattupetty dam, Top station, tea estates, Rajamalai etc
Munnar-Cochin- Kottayam or Munnar-Kottayam, then Kottayam-Kumarakom( just 12 kms): stay, houseboat ride, toddy shop and spicy food etc

Kumarakom-Allepey boat ride, Roam around in Allepey, see the beach etc
Travel via A.C road to Tiruvalla and take a train to Varkala and then maybe Trivandrum!

Thankssssssssssssss a lot guys. I'll definitely stay overnight in a HB but only if they charge right :) Thanks for the itinenary :)

@Anubis, I was in Alleppy last weekend and went for a complementary boat ride (Shikara type). The driver was mentioning that the expected tourist season has not panned out the way it used to be and the business seems to be a bit dull. Hence please call some of the houseboat guys directly and you may get good deal...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back