Planning / Designing my first HT budget set up.

jaggu

Pardon me for long post....

This is how i found this forum. I am not much of an audio tech savvy person but i always wanted a good home theater set up. Presently i have a custom set up done by a small outfit from my hometown under the brand Sharleo. Its a simple 40 x 2 satellite plus 100 watt Sub woofer driven by custom built mosfet amplifier. Have hooked it up to the TV, DVD player etc and has been working fine for last decade or so. It's slowly started to show its age though, the source selection switch has started acting up etc. Now i have moved to my new apartment and i always dreamed of having a nice little HT set up in my bedroom.

First i thought i will just go ahead and buy one of the HTIB and be happy with it. So was reading up including the threads here, and came to know HTIB will never even come close to full blown set up. But since my budget was limited, I did not want to drift too far. Reliance Digital was running some great deals on Denon 1312xp, Pioneer RS32, Jamo S 426 so went and auditioned them. Jamo was rigged up with the marantz and jamo subs.

While the Denon kit was all ok, i felt something was lacking when the music played. Then i listened to Jamo and i realized although it was horribly set-up there, it was way ahead compared to the stock speakers that comes with 1312 package. Pioneer was too bright for my taste and they were also not committing to deliver one. This got me thinking, why am i in a hurry?! The new TV should be here today or tomorrow and i still have the old amp, satellite and sub set up at the old house. I just need to lug it to new house which will cost some muscle power. That's it.

I have decided if i buy a new set up, i need one which can support both Music and HDMI/DVD/TV. I cant live with a set up which is tuned for just movie/video stuff. In fact worst case i am more than happy with something like Harmon Kardon Mas 101 with a sub which is primarily designed to play music.

A bit of reading up added to the realization that how much ever you try a full range speakers of 5.1 system can't do justice to stereo music. So then what?

My thought process (correct me if i am wrong).

1) Save a little more and take it step by step
2) Buy a decent AVR with 5.1 and plug it to my excisting speakers for now
3) Start replacing speakers to make it a full 5.1 set up

Speakers i would prefer standies for front 2, for the simple reason that i don't have to drill hole or buy another piece of furniture to keep the shelf speakers. But if it makes sense (cost advantage) to get shelf speakers which would be preference 2 also, i don't mind getting the carpenter in and putting up two pieces of plank to the wall.

So first step (Budget ideally under 30k INR) - finding the right amp set up. Room is 14x12 ish, and has a small pathway to the door in an inverted L shape. So its not too large. My taste is low to mid volume and definitely not too bright sounds, i rarely blast the music in the car also. So 80-100 watt is more than enough is what i feel. Tight base and clear tones is what i like, infact don't prefer too much of base overshadowing, maybe occasionally for that action scene that's it.

Please help me list out AVR options at the reasonable side of things (30K or less?).

How is this? Web reviews says its pretty much packs the punch for the price.

Marantz NR1402 AV Receiver

Last but not least, am in Bangalore and prefer to buy stuff that can be delivered/available easily here. So no imported custom issues maal pleasse :)

Hi,

What is the impedance and power ratting of your existing speakers? That is important to know before you hook it up with new AVR.

Instead of Marantz NR1402, I would recommend you go for the NR1501. You would be better a step forward with 7.1 .. And it is only matter a 1K difference.
Marantz NR1501 Slimline 7.1 AV Receiver

Good Luck!

Somehow i missed noticing this model! Thank you. Let me check the specs and would you have any review or audition experience of this model?

Current speakers are 8 ohms, full range at 60 or 80 rms along with dome tweeters that were available from philips at that time (more than a decade back). Sub is a push pull set up with 120 watt IIRC. For now i will have to use the old amp to drive the sub i guess since its not an active set up. Going to be messy at the beginning, but i am prepared for the small pain for the bigger gain later.

My thought process (correct me if i am wrong).

1) Save a little more and take it step by step
2) Buy a decent AVR with 5.1 and plug it to my excisting speakers for now
3) Start replacing speakers to make it a full 5.1 set up

So first step (Budget ideally under 30k INR) - finding the right amp set up. Room is 14x12 ish, and has a small pathway to the door in an inverted L shape. So its not too large. My taste is low to mid volume and definitely not too bright sounds, i rarely blast the music in the car also. So 80-100 watt is more than enough is what i feel. Tight base and clear tones is what i like, infact don't prefer too much of base overshadowing, maybe occasionally for that action scene that's it.

Please help me list out AVR options at the reasonable side of things (30K or less?).

Initially I also wanted to go for a HTiB but finally decided to go separate and as result of which the cost has increased many folds. But nevermind!!!

I bought the avr first and using the existing speakers now. Plan to replace/ upgrade the speakers step by step. Currently looking for a centre speaker.

My need was for Movies: Music - 50:50. My room size is 17' x 12'. I got myself an Yamaha 373 for Rs.27,000/- from Kolkata. You can have a look at this one too.

Thanks George, any place you would recommend for auditions in Bangalore? I was not at all happy with Reliance Digital since its chaotic and they have no idea about what they are selling :) Good thing, these better quality stuff would be available with more professional set ups/shops.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back