Planning for Dimmable LED Lighting - Living Room with Projector- Suggestions please..

elangoas

Hi All,

Right now i have 2 x 28w slim tube Philips CFL mounted on ceiling, that is capable of producing approx 5000 lumens, which is way bright and fades the picture quality on the Projector screen.. If i switch off 1 tube CFL, it is reasonably good.. So thought if i am able to switch to ceiling mount LED lights that are dimmable, i can strike a balance between living room brightness and picture quality..It is an LED Projector.

- Would like to flush mount/fix on ceiling directly.
- Room size is 14 (W) x 11 (L) feet.
- 4 lights sufficent at each quarter of ceiling?

Some Queries :

- How are Lights controlled? is it fan regulator kind of switch that will be used?
- If any of you have dimmable LED fixed on ceiling, request you to please share pics if possible and quote the price and model #..

Re: Planning for Dimmable LED Lighting - Living Room with Projector- Suggestions plea

You can use any model fan type regulators/ dimmers for controlling the LED lights.
Only requirement is you should buy the LED lights which is made for this purpose

Re: Planning for Dimmable LED Lighting - Living Room with Projector- Suggestions plea

You can use any model fan type regulators/ dimmers for controlling the LED lights.
Only requirement is you should buy the LED lights which is made for this purpose

If am getting 4 LED lights, then i would need 4 regulator right?

Is there an option of controlling all the 4 LED with one controller?

I was running thru amazon.in, this one caught my attention - Buy Corvi LED Surface 6 Inch - No POP/No False Ceiling Required - Screw able - 9 Watts - 5 Years Manufacturer Warranty (1350 Lumens) (5700K - White) [PACK OF 1] [AUTHORISED RE-SELLER : EMYAS ELECTRIC STORES] Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

Manufacturer offers 5 yrs warranty on the product, which is great..

But 1350 Lumens from 9 watts bulb is surprising.. On further digging, i found that this LED fixture is 5700K, 150 Lm/w, which is rather high.. Are these hyped numbers but the offer is tempting..

Any insights on the topic would be helpful..

You can regulate all the LED lights using separate regulators or by a single one. Its your choice.

If you want to control all four lights with a single controller look for 100w regulators. There are two types - 4step and continuous.

Hi Elongas,
I recently completed the ceiling install of LED Lighting in my residence. With regard to your query, Dimming LED lights is not as simple as dimming an incandescent Bulb. While researching on the very same topic prior installing the lights in my ceiling, I came across a lot of info on the net regarding Dimming. From the top of my head there are 3 types of Dimmers out there for LED Dimming. Leading Edge, Trailing Edge and Phase cut. The leading edge dimmers were originally used for our regular bulbs. But these induce flickering in LED bulbs when used in dimming mode(i.e not at pull voltage setting). The trailing edge also works similar to the Leading edge dimmer(Triac), but the cut off in the voltage is applicable on the trailing edge of the sine wave of each A/C cycle. This apparently had a better effect when used for dimming LEDs. Lastly there was Phasecut dimming, which apparently works best for LED Dimming, but is more expensive and difficult to find.
I finally didnt find viable options for lights in India(i was looking at a 2 module light). Ended up ordering a sample from Alibaba. It said that they use a Triac dimmer, but modified for use with LED. Upon receiving it, the dimmer stated it was a leading and trailing edge dimmer. I hooked it up to the automation setup(with a bypass to adjust for load as the light was rated only for 18W and my dimmer module was rated for 200W, using lesser load increases the starting current apparently for the LED and also induces flicker when dimming). The light worked well, however i still had flicker until 10-15% and above 90%. So have adjusted my automation setup to dim from 85% down to 20% and then off. I dont have a regulator in the loop, so cant help you there. Though i would recommend a continuous regulator as opposed to a 5 step regulator.
Regarding Corvi, I have used there recessed in ceiling lights(COBs) as well in the house. The come with inbuilt dimmers, Unfortunately I still havent tested those for dimming, as the remainder automation is pending in the house. The automation guy has worked with Corvi before and says that it has no problems with dimming directly on the automation dimmer module(No Flicker, sometimes a very minor flicker). As for Corvi LED Lights, the light itself is brilliant. rated at 5W each, they put out a lot of light.
If using Corvi recessed COB(cutting a hole in the False ceiling for install) as opposed to a surface mounted light like a panel light(as per your link on amazon) , you will definintely need more that 4 in each of the corners, if these are the only lights in your living room. COBs throw lights at specified angles(12-36degress of beam angle), so they have higher intensity but cover a smaller area. Panel lights will distribute the lighting(similiar to the recessed CFL housings). Start with 4 in each of the corners and if needed you can always add lights.
One point to note is that Corvi lights have a plastic housing and overtime the white plastic rim tends to turn to cream - basis feedback of the automation guy. He says its not very apparent, but if after a few years any of the lights get replaced, then the colour difference becomes apparent.
Hope this helps.

Hi Elongas,
I recently completed the ceiling install of LED Lighting in my residence. With regard to your query, Dimming LED lights is not as simple as dimming an incandescent Bulb. While researching on the very same topic prior installing the lights in my ceiling, I came across a lot of info on the net regarding Dimming. From the top of my head there are 3 types of Dimmers out there for LED Dimming. Leading Edge, Trailing Edge and Phase cut. The leading edge dimmers were originally used for our regular bulbs. But these induce flickering in LED bulbs when used in dimming mode(i.e not at pull voltage setting). The trailing edge also works similar to the Leading edge dimmer(Triac), but the cut off in the voltage is applicable on the trailing edge of the sine wave of each A/C cycle. This apparently had a better effect when used for dimming LEDs. Lastly there was Phasecut dimming, which apparently works best for LED Dimming, but is more expensive and difficult to find.

That is great piece of information. Wasn't aware that there were these many types of controllers.. I will read about them and check for availability in India.

I finally didnt find viable options for lights in India(i was looking at a 2 module light). Ended up ordering a sample from Alibaba. It said that they use a Triac dimmer, but modified for use with LED. Upon receiving it, the dimmer stated it was a leading and trailing edge dimmer. I hooked it up to the automation setup(with a bypass to adjust for load as the light was rated only for 18W and my dimmer module was rated for 200W, using lesser load increases the starting current apparently for the LED and also induces flicker when dimming). The light worked well, however i still had flicker until 10-15% and above 90%. So have adjusted my automation setup to dim from 85% down to 20% and then off. I dont have a regulator in the loop, so cant help you there. Though i would recommend a continuous regulator as opposed to a 5 step regulator.

I just started checking articles abt LED bulbs, did come across flickering.. Will check some more articles..

Would you be able to provide any link for continuous regulator?

Regarding Corvi, I have used there recessed in ceiling lights(COBs) as well in the house. The come with inbuilt dimmers, Unfortunately I still havent tested those for dimming, as the remainder automation is pending in the house. The automation guy has worked with Corvi before and says that it has no problems with dimming directly on the automation dimmer module(No Flicker, sometimes a very minor flicker). As for Corvi LED Lights, the light itself is brilliant. rated at 5W each, they put out a lot of light.

Great.. I considered Corvi because, they are the only manufacturer to provide 5 yrs warranty.. So based on your feedback, can safely consider Corvi.

If using Corvi recessed COB(cutting a hole in the False ceiling for install) as opposed to a surface mounted light like a panel light(as per your link on amazon) , you will definintely need more that 4 in each of the corners, if these are the only lights in your living room. COBs throw lights at specified angles(12-36degress of beam angle), so they have higher intensity but cover a smaller area. Panel lights will distribute the lighting(similiar to the recessed CFL housings). Start with 4 in each of the corners and if needed you can always add lights.

I don't have false ceiling.. Just the regular hard ceiling.. These Corvi LED fixture's seem to be a direct fitment on the hard ceiling. I would need to check if the on-ceiling lights also come with the dimmer..

One point to note is that Corvi lights have a plastic housing and overtime the white plastic rim tends to turn to cream - basis feedback of the automation guy. He says its not very apparent, but if after a few years any of the lights get replaced, then the colour difference becomes apparent.

Thanks for the info..

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the detailed responses :thumbsup:

Hi Elongas,
I recently completed the ceiling install of LED Lighting in my residence. With regard to your query, Dimming LED lights is not as simple as dimming an .........................................................

too good info. Way back me too was looking for led dimmers.....did not find one.

That is great piece of information. Wasn't aware that there were these many types of controllers.. I will read about them and check for availability in India.

Firstly sorry about misspelling your name in the earlier post. :eek: also the mode of dimming suitable for LED is Pulsewidth dimming and not phase cut as mentioned earlier.

I just started checking articles abt LED bulbs, did come across flickering.. Will check some more articles..

Would you be able to provide any link for continuous regulator?
Sorry mate, I never got around to sourcing physical Dimming regulators, so havent come across any links. Search the net is the best suggestion i can make. Google is our friend;)

I don't have false ceiling.. Just the regular hard ceiling.. These Corvi LED fixture's seem to be a direct fitment on the hard ceiling. I would need to check if the on-ceiling lights also come with the dimmer..
Do check it out

Thanks for the info..

Thank you very much for the detailed responses :thumbsup:]

Anytime, let me know if any more info on this confusing topic is required.

Firstly sorry about misspelling your name in the earlier post. :eek: also the mode of dimming suitable for LED is Pulsewidth dimming and not phase cut as mentioned earlier.

Not a prob :).. Got it..

Sorry mate, I never got around to sourcing physical Dimming regulators, so havent come across any links. Search the net is the best suggestion i can make. Google is our friend;)

Ok.. Sure.. I will also drop in to some of the physical store to get first hand experience..

Anytime, let me know if any more info on this confusing topic is required.

Thanks..Sure.. I will share details after visiting a store..

Planning for Univocal 8 from Raylogic.in for my HT.

Hi Dramitpc,

That product looks really cool. I like the retrofit aspect of it too. I have gone with the regular Legrand switches and Fibaro for automation/Lighting control.
On a related note, I believe you will still need the LED Dimmable Drivers connected to the LEDs to effect dimming. Since the Raylogic is rated at 300W per channel, that should indicate Max load on 1 channel. (eg 30 x 10W lights), however for LEDs they tend to derate the power requirements. Check with the supplier what is the recommended max load with LEDs. Also Check what the min load is, because if the number of LED lights in totality on 1 channel is not equal to min load, you will need to add a load bypass to the circuit(to prevent flicker on startup). This info i got when researching the Fibaro dimmable modules rated at 500W per module, but limited to 80W for LEDs. and min load of 25W. Hope it helps.
Let us know how the product performs especially so in terms of interface and what your findings are regarding the dimmability and ease of use.

Cheers
Zimbly

Hi elangoas,
Have you checked the Govindappa naicken street electrical shops @Parry's Corner for your dimmable LED lights requirements? You might get lucky there. :)

Hi elangoas,
Have you checked the Govindappa naicken street electrical shops @Parry's Corner for your dimmable LED lights requirements? You might get lucky there. :)

Hi MJ23Bulls,

Nope.. Not yet.. Planning to visit the Lighting shops near DMS / Teynampet..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back