Planning new Home Theater at a new Bungalow

amrutmhatre90

After a long wait we are finally constructing a bungalow near to Mumbai, this place is 100kms from Mumbai called Alibaug.

Since work from home has become a new norm, I have decided to move at the house we will be constructing this year.

We have a area of almost 45000+ sq ft for the whole plot. We will be constructing around 2500 sqft house including a 1st floor.

House will have 2 car shed parking, one pool with patio like area, 4 bedrooms, hall, kitchen, one small pet area and a dedicated HT room.

While I know few things about dedicated Home theater, this will be a bit different.
1) More like a entertainment room, movies, live sports with one large sofa sitting 3, 2 single recliners. 1 simulation steering wheel.
2) Want it to be a space for 2ch listening too
3) Work place with all necessary things required to make this as my small office, mostly will be a screen and keyboard mouse, that's it.
4) Bar counter with 3-5 chairs.

I already own a Denon x3700, QA3050i, 3090i, 3010i, micca covo-s and BIC PL300.
The whole setup will be moving to this new house at a dedicated place. I have a few questions:

1) How large the room should be? To include above. Roughly calculated I have 18x30ft space
2) Will be having a projector, but I don't know the size? Nor have any idea on projectors. Will 1080p be enough or 4k. I already use 4K content on Nvidia sheild will it be played on 1080p projector?
3) Thinking to thermal insulate the whole room, as it gets lot hot here in summers. Apart from normal adsorption and diffusion.
4) We might be getting solar, but we do have powe cuts and voltage fluctuations a lot. I want to save and keep all the gear I have safe at all costs, how should I go about. UPS or inverter or anything else.
5) Will ProFX or any other similar dealer help me with this as I already have the gear, minus projector and screen.

I am excited, and relived that this is happening. I am tired of the fast paced Mumbai life for now.

Can farm, grow own vegetables, poultry and what not. New beginnings ahead indeed.

Would like everyone to throw lights on this who have done similar things or have knowledge.

After a long wait we are finally constructing a bungalow near to Mumbai, this place is 100kms from Mumbai called Alibaug.

Since work from home has become a new norm, I have decided to move at the house we will be constructing this year.

We have a area of almost 45000+ sq ft for the whole plot. We will be constructing around 2500 sqft house including a 1st floor.

House will have 2 car shed parking, one pool with patio like area, 4 bedrooms, hall, kitchen, one small pet area and a dedicated HT room.

While I know few things about dedicated Home theater, this will be a bit different.
1) More like a entertainment room, movies, live sports with one large sofa sitting 3, 2 single recliners. 1 simulation steering wheel.
3) Work place with all necessary things required to make this as my small office, mostly will be a screen and keyboard mouse, that's it.

The whole setup will be moving to this new house at a dedicated place. I have a few questions:

1) How large the room should be? To include above. Roughly calculated I have 18x30ft space
2) Will be having a projector, but I don't know the size? Nor have any idea on projectors. Will 1080p be enough or 4k. I already use 4K content on Nvidia sheild will it be played on 1080p projector?
3) Thinking to thermal insulate the whole room, as it gets lot hot here in summers. Apart from normal adsorption and diffusion.
4) We might be getting solar, but we do have powe cuts and voltage fluctuations a lot. I want to save and keep all the gear I have safe at all costs, how should I go about. UPS or inverter or anything else.
5) Will ProFX or any other similar dealer help me with this as I already have the gear, minus projector and screen.

I am excited, and relived that this is happening. I am tired of the fast paced Mumbai life for now.

Can farm, grow own vegetables, poultry and what not. New beginnings ahead indeed.

Would like everyone to throw lights on this who have done similar things or have knowledge.

Kudos to the decision to live away from the city and grow your own food.

I
wish I could make the same choice. Alas, not all of us are blessed to choose their place of work.

All the best for your bungalow.​

Wow! Most of us are not fortunate with this luck but hope it comes someday ;)

I believe some of our dealers in Mumbai would offer such services to design / create / setup a HT room keeping in mind the location, climate etc.

Congratulations Amrut, better to be far away from the noise, crowd and pollution and to grow your own food.
You may need to ensure consistent voltage/protection for your gear as power cuts & fluctuations may be more often in Alibaug than in Mumbai.

Let me answer your questions one by one.

This depends largely upon the architect and you. You can have as large a room as you want.

At the same time, the larger the room, the more power you need in your AVR. Depending upon how many seats you are planning, the length of the room can be decided. Let us say you plan for ten seats in two rows. The first row will be some 10-15 feet from the screen. Add another 5 feet for the seats. Another 10 feet behind. So you can seat 10 people comfortably in a room that is 30 feet long. See if you can shape the room in one of the golden scales. Visit https://hometheateracademy.com/best-home-theater-room-sizes-dimensions/ for more details.

You should look a 100-120 inch screen. Having 4K capable systems is a must today. Many people will ask, where is the content? But that is a silly question. Nearly every major Hollywood movie in being filmed in 4k. Most Indian movies are being filmed in 2K. So, having 4K is a must.

You can play any content on any display device. The system will automatically downscale the content.

Thermal and acoustic insulation is best advised by experts who can visit the room and decide what needs to be done.

Inverters are usually used for fans and lights. For a HT system, the best would be a UPS. But again, you may not be able to watch a complete movie with A/c and all from the batteries. Unless, you have an UPS system large enough to give you the energy needed for 4-5 hours. Get an electrician to calculate the amount of energy needed to run your projector, amplifier, A/cs, etc., and then decide the size of the UPS. Remember to keep the UPS outside the HT room.

There are a large number of HT installers. Since you are in Alibaug, it will cost you more. But then, they will do a good job.

In addition to these, I would consider the following:
  1. A multi channel power amplifier, delivering 150+ watts to each channel. At least a 3 channel amp for LCR.
  2. High speed Internet connection. Not sure what is available at Alibaug.
  3. A direct cable connection to the devices (projector, AVR, ....) for Internet. See if you can mount a switch and connect the devices.
  4. I would not mix a bar and an HT room. For one, when friends drink, music or movies are always drowned out. Two, with a couple of pegs, people cannot keep their hands off remote control and equipment. And, of course the traffic of people opening and closing doors. If people have to drink when watching a movie, the best would be a temporary tray with the drinks, glasses and ice.
  5. For two channel listening, you should look at a good source and a DAC and use the AVR as a pre-amp and power amp. Unless you are ready to listen to music as is from your HT system. Believe me, for most people, that is more than enough.
Cheers

Congratulations @amrutmhatre90 for your new house and setup. I am not that much knowledgeable about the HT setup and still learning. Therefore, I cannot be of much help to you.
But, I would definitely be looking forward to the updates.

So happy for you. You are doing the right thing by summoning the less hustle-bustle lifestyle plus are creating your own food, a modern day agriculture revolution and thanks for sharing with us, a page in your life's book that can be taken as an illustration on how to live life in our own terms. Cheerio! Good luck and if possible a few pictures of your relocation site after settling in.

That's a great plan, congratulations. If I had the means, I would settle for a smaller house and a bigger parking lot :p
For a dedicated room from scratch, better to get a turnkey solution. They will do the wiring, placement, acoustics, etc.

Thank you everyone, even I am exited and looking forward to live such life, targeting Diwali for now.

So the current scenario is such we already have a bungalow at the site. But the structure is giving up.
So the current bungalow will be demolished. Since we have a huge plot, I even thought of having a separate shed which won't be included in the bungalow just for Hometheatre. But after consultation they said its better to have it in the same bungalow and would be secure too.

Open to ideas for even the whole house, as it will be built according to the needs.

@venkatcr thanks for taking out time and replying.
I already own a Denon x3700, QA3050i, 3090ci, 3010i BIC PL300 Nvidia shield and Xbox Series X.
For 2ch listening I havd a Audiolab 6000a, SMSL SU9 DAC RPI streamer.
I even have O&B power amplifier, soon will be getting ACA Nelson Pass class A amps.
FX Audio tube-03 and Nad 165bee pre amps.

I am somewhat covered with electronics stuff, only might require 4 in ceiling speakers, projector and screen.

As for seating, I was thinking 2+3. There will be very less days when I might have a full house. 80% it will be only me using this area. Also, first thing I checked was how is the Internet, my neighbour has 40mbps plan, that was a major relief.

I agree with you regarding bar, people getting tipsy and fooling around. I also will be having a bar inside the pool or outside. So this won't be the only place to drink, but something to have while working, enjoying the time here. This area is not a must have and can be ignored.

UPS won't be for continuous watching but to keep devices safe, I would shut them down between 10-15mins.

Home-Theater-Ideas-14-Sebring-Design-Build.jpg

images-12.jpeg

Planning something like above

@shuv haha the new parking lot is as big as the old house, I have tons of space.

Congrats on this decision.

Maybe you can create a dedicated post/blog and document your progress. This way others too can learn and plan their own at some point in the future.

All the best for this exercise.

O&B? Never heard of them. How do they sound? What are their rough costs per channel?

Thanks

They are VFM, steal to be honest.

Thank you everyone, even I am exited and looking forward to live such life, targeting Diwali for now.

So the current scenario is such we already have a bungalow at the site. But the structure is giving up.
So the current bungalow will be demolished. Since we have a huge plot, I even thought of having a separate shed which won't be included in the bungalow just for Hometheatre. But after consultation they said its better to have it in the same bungalow and would be secure too.

Open to ideas for even the whole house, as it will be built according to the needs.

I already own a Denon x3700, QA3050i, 3090ci, 3010i BIC PL300 Nvidia shield and Xbox Series X.
I even have O&B power amplifier, soon will be getting ACA Nelson Pass class A amps.

I am somewhat covered with electronics stuff, only might require 4 in ceiling speakers, projector and screen.

As for seating, I was thinking 2+3. There will be very less days when I might have a full house. 80% it will be only me using this area. Also, first thing I checked was how is the Internet, my neighbour has 40mbps plan, that was a major relief.

I agree with you regarding bar, people getting tipsy and fooling around. I also will be having a bar inside the pool or outside. So this won't be the only place to drink, but something to have while working, enjoying the time here. This area is not a must have and can be ignored.

UPS won't be for continuous watching but to keep devices safe, I would shut them down between 10-15mins.

View attachment 68179

View attachment 68180

@shuv haha the new parking lot is as big as the old house, I have tons of space.
Such designs can only be pulled off with the help of very good TEAM WORK between a home theatre professional and an architect/interior designer.
telling with first hand experience.

Such designs can only be pulled off with the help of very good TEAM WORK between a home theatre professional and an architect/interior designer.
telling with first hand experience.
I agree completely! Please get professionals to execute this, else this may well end up to be a could have, would have and should have kind of situation.

View attachment 68179

View attachment 68180

You can expect an overall budget of 20-25L minimum for this kind of setup.
Last year a FM did a similar setup which @prateekatasniya had helped professionally.

Here is the thread :

NB: No affiliation to Prateek.

Last edited:
Furnishing a home theatre room at that LEVEL would cost around 2000 rupees per sqft (floor area)
So your planned room size would cost 10-12 lakhs which would include almost everything except the AV gear.

Awesome bro! While you are at it, keep your old gear in the city. And get a better gear (your POV, your liking) in this den. Because, you are starting from scratch and because you also know the requirements, you can ask to do better to architects / deco guys or gals.
Keep in mind though, have large ducts spread across the HT. Don't forget the power/ N/W points.
All the best.

Furnishing a home theatre room at that LEVEL would cost around 2000 rupees per sqft (floor area)
So your planned room size would cost 10-12 lakhs which would include almost everything except the AV gear.

I surely am going to give you a call buddy.

Awesome bro! While you are at it, keep your old gear in the city. And get a better gear (your POV, your liking) in this den. Because, you are starting from scratch and because you also know the requirements, you can ask to do better to architects / deco guys or gals.
Keep in mind though, have large ducts spread across the HT. Don't forget the power/ N/W points.
All the best.

Thank you, I had thought about keeping my old gear and going for a new system. But budget doesn't permit, the whole house with landscaping and stuff is already going to cost me around 45 lakhs. And this doesn't even include the Hometheatre room I planned.

I am still in two minds with this, as I am 50% movie and 50% music buff guy. 5-6 hours music in a day and 3-4 hours gaming or TV series in a day. Now this number will go down when I move to the new house, as I will have lot more stuff to do than music and movies. Gardening, pets, and what not.

I will have very less time for this room compared to what I am used to now, I am still thinking does it make sense to invest in a proper home theatre? 90% of the time it will me only me.

Room with my gear is still on, but should I have it as a theatre or entertainment zone - Music, movies but not hardcore theatre.

Open to ideas and opinions.

Just note that this has horrible reviews on ASR.
I will be quite interested to know how it performs for you. ;)

I care less for measurements, lately he has gone on a rampage. Mostly will be in my bedroom, but now with all this planning who knows where these land.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back