Planning to buy a Keyboard (Synth)...

KHK

Always, dreamt of a Roland, but brands like Roland, Korg are not only very expensive, but they don't seem to have a keyboard in the middle rage, I mean for an advanced learner who is not a pro.

Have more or less decided on Yamaha PSR-i425. The 'India specific' positioning of this keyboard, plus its price point of around 16-17K helped matters.

Any idea/suggestions/options friends?

Who all here are into keyboards, VST plugins, Cubase/Nuendo, etc? Specially from Mumbai? Am interested in learning!

I think the Yamaha would be ideal.I have been using a Yamaha PSR 640 for the last 15 years.Before I had PSR 520 & PSR 510.

I like the rhythms of the Yamaha keyboards, there's more variety than Roland.

If you are in Mumbai I might be able to help you in buying a good keyboard at a reasonable price.

Regards,

Francis

Hi,

My friend has PSR-S900 and I have had a chance to use it a number of times, but he got that from the greymarket (burma bazaar, chennai). I would compare the feel of that with iphone's touchscreen, you can imagine what!:licklips:

I think it costs about 1L here, but you can get in the grey market for at least 40% less.

Cheers!

Just surfed to see pics of this talked yamaha piece and saw listed the number of jimmy 9873875835 in Delhi, who has put his 10 month old PSR S900 up for sale.

considering the grey price as indicated to be about 60k, U may want to discuss with Jimmy in case u could negotiate more than offered price (if u want to look at preowned piece).

Wishes

Just surfed to see pics of this talked yamaha piece and saw listed the number of jimmy 9873875835 in Delhi, who has put his 10 month old PSR S900 up for sale.

considering the grey price as indicated to be about 60k, U may want to discuss with Jimmy in case u could negotiate more than offered price (if u want to look at preowned piece).

Wishes

The Scheming Vinyl Posse is at it again, and this time, it's not even vinyl! :p

If your priority is great Piano Sound then go for the Yamaha Portable Grand Series or their Digital Pianos (88 keys) but if you want lots of sound samples and rhythem than try the Portable Keyboards (PSR) at low cost.

If you are into music composition then the Arranger Workstation is for you or else dont invest into workstation models (including Tyros)

I have a YAMAHA PSR Series and happy with it.

thanks friends for the quick responses! when i searched in this forum, i cd not find a single thread, so i was wondering what type of response to expect...but this is great!

@francis, we know each other well ;)

@venkatesh, thx for enlightening us in the diff between official and grey market prices. but i am not sure if i425 is available through grey market, as it is an india specific model. it is not available in US, but might be available in the middle east as a friend of mine has bought one.

@sidharth, can't ask a <1 yr keyboard costing 60k in grey market (official 100K) for <20k

@deba, no i am not into music composition. but would like something that can be used to play live in small 'mehfils'. i plan to connect it to the comp (through midi-in of my EMU 0404) and record some music to produce Karaoke tracks. A friend of mine told me even a 8k worth casio keyboard can do the part 2 of the job above by downloading umpteen plugins that is available on the net.

Currently I am not an expert in playing, though i can play the harmonium well, i have recently started taking classes to learn playing chords, and other stuff.

My only focus is for hindi film music from the 50s and 60s, and to a lesser extent 70s and 80s.

i plan to connect it to the comp (through midi-in of my EMU 0404) and record some music to produce Karaoke tracks. A friend of mine told me even a 8k worth casio keyboard can do the part 2 of the job above by downloading umpteen plugins that is available on the net.

Currently I am not an expert in playing, though i can play the harmonium well, i have recently started taking classes to learn playing chords, and other stuff.

My only focus is for hindi film music from the 50s and 60s, and to a lesser extent 70s and 80s.

Hi KHK,
I am too interested in learning and buying one keyboard. My budget is also around 8k. Can you suggest the casio which serves my purpose?
Eager to know what you bought finally:)

Reviving this threat after a while. I want a budget keyboard 10-15k for learning western music with pc connectivity . What is the good choice, portable keyboard/midi keyboard or digital piano? Recommedations on some recent good models would be great.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back