Planning to buy OLED. Need suggestions: LG or Panasonic

pushkarajd

Dear All,

I am planning to upgrade my current 4K LED TV to an OLED one. I had shortlisted LG OLED65C9PTA and had almost finalized this but when I saw the Panasonic TH-65FZ1000D on their website I am in double mind now whether to go with LG or Panasonic.

Again, I haven't seen any of the TVs yet, but planning to visit a few stores this weekend.

The best price that I got for the LG is around Rs.2.55 Lacs and for Panasonic its Rs.2.75 Lacs. The only thing that caught my mind is the Panasonic was selling at a much lower price in June-July this year (around 2 Lacs) and hence surpirsed to see the current cost of Rs.2.75 Lacs.

Need expert inputs here.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Last edited:
My first choice is also Panasonic because of their accurate colors out of the box, the cleanest near black images out of all manufacturers and great tone mapping and DTM too.

However, as you mentioned, the prices for their sets have gone up on tatacliq at least, and they haven't launched their 2019 sets yet. It's possible that they might pull out of this segment in India.

Another point to be noted is that 2019 sets will have panels with even bigger red sub-pixels, so better burn-in protection. 2018 Panasonic sets also had a mild stutter issue in 24 fps content.

So between the two you have mentioned, 2019 LG sets are a better option, and if you wait for a couple of weeks, you can get C9 for 2-2.1 lacs, judging by last year's price trends.

Dear All,

I am planning to upgrade my current 4K LED TV to an OLED one. I had shortlisted LG OLED65E9PTA and had almost finalized this but when I saw the Panasonic TH-65FZ1000D on their website I am in double mind now whether to go with LG or Panasonic.

Again, I haven't seen any of the TVs yet, but planning to visit a few stores this weekend.

The best price that I got for the LG is around Rs.2.55 Lacs and for Panasonic its Rs.2.75 Lacs. The only thing that caught my mind is the Panasonic was selling at a much lower price in June-July this year (around 2 Lacs) and hence surpirsed to see the current cost of Rs.2.75 Lacs.

Need expert inputs here.

Thanks.

Regards,

Pushkaraj
The only difference between an LG OLED C9 and E9 is the sound ouput of 40 w vs 60w and 2.2 ch. In case you want to save some money consider the C9 instead of the E9.

My first choice is also Panasonic because of their accurate colors out of the box, the cleanest near black images out of all manufacturers and great tone mapping and DTM too.

However, as you mentioned, the prices for their sets have gone up on tatacliq at least, and they haven't launched their 2019 sets yet. It's possible that they might pull out of this segment in India.

Another point to be noted is that 2019 sets will have panels with even bigger red sub-pixels, so better burn-in protection. 2018 Panasonic sets also had a mild stutter issue in 24 fps content.

So between the two you have mentioned, 2019 LG sets are a better option, and if you wait for a couple of weeks, you can get C9 for 2-2.1 lacs, judging by last year's price trends.

Yes. And sorry for the typo, I meant C9 and not E9.

DO you think C9 will be available for 2-2.1 Lacs? If yes, then I will definitely wait. I was also looking at OnePlus TV but I think they are launching only the 55" here in India.

The only difference between an LG OLED C9 and E9 is the sound ouput of 40 w vs 60w and 2.2 ch. In case you want to save some money consider the C9 instead of the E9.
Yes. I actually meant by C9. My typo mistake. E9 is "coming soon" on LG website

DO you think C9 will be available for 2-2.1 Lacs? If yes, then I will definitely wait. I was also looking at OnePlus TV but I think they are launching only the 55" here in India.

Last year, during diwali sales, people did buy C8 at similar prices. There's a price thread that you can browse. So there's no reason why C9 shouldn't be at the same price, if not cheaper.

So wait for good deals to come. Theya te right around the corner. As far as oneplus TV is concerned, it won't even be close to a good, refined OLED. If you have the budget, C9 is going to be an amazing set.

Last year, during diwali sales, people did buy C8 at similar prices. There's a price thread that you can browse. So there's no reason why C9 shouldn't be at the same price, if not cheaper.

So wait for good deals to come. Theya te right around the corner. As far as oneplus TV is concerned, it won't even be close to a good, refined OLED. If you have the budget, C9 is going to be an amazing set.

Yeah. I agree. The specs look good on paper for Oneplus, but yes I am very much inclined towards C9. Thanks. Will keep my eyes open for price drop.

Yeah. I agree. The specs look good on paper for Oneplus, but yes I am very much inclined towards C9. Thanks. Will keep my eyes open for price drop.

The difference is going to be the tech being used. Even if the rumors are true, and it has 90 dimming zones, that's nothing compared to 8 million plus dimming zones of an OLED. Even the best FALD LCD LED, DX 902, suffered from blooming and haloing, even though it had 512 dimming zones!

OLED is truly the best picture you can get right now. The shortcomings of the fast pixel response causing sttutter in 24fps is overcome by good picture processing, and LG has gotten pretty good with that over the years too. So rest assured, you'll be buying the best TV you can get with the C9. I'm going to get a 55 inch one myself. Waiting for sales only.

Btw, just one last question. I have been reading a lot about LOED burn-in issues. Is it that serious? Primary use would be tatasky and accasionally (during weekends and holiday) for watching movies or streaming. Do you think the tatasky logo will create burn-in issue? My daughter also watches a lot of TV i.e. tatasky ranging anywhere between 2-4 hrs on a daily basis, plus on top of that we too watch the TV in the evenings for another 2-4 hrs before going to bed. So avg daily viewing of tatasky on an avg is around 6-7 hrs.

Thanks.

Btw, just one last question. I have been reading a lot about LOED burn-in issues. Is it that serious? Primary use would be tatasky and accasionally (during weekends and holiday) for watching movies or streaming. Do you think the tatasky logo will create burn-in issue? My daughter also watches a lot of TV i.e. tatasky ranging anywhere between 2-4 hrs on a daily basis, plus on top of that we too watch the TV in the evenings for another 2-4 hrs before going to bed. So avg daily viewing of tatasky on an avg is around 6-7 hrs.

Thanks.
Welcome to the panel lottery. If you read across all the oled discussion, you could notice one important thing some panels got burn-in in short period (weeks/ months), but others going strong even after 2 years. Burn-in is real, no one can't deny it.

The way it affects differed from panel to another. Depends upon the QC(quality control) of the manufactured batch also. There are lot of parameters here. You can read the rtings burn-in test result. Just take this as pinch of salt.

If you want to experience the Ferrari, Just be ready for some extra maintenance ;)

All the best to your purchase :)

Welcome to the panel lottery. If you read across all the oled discussion, you could notice one important thing some panels got burn-in in short period (weeks/ months), but others going strong even after 2 years. Burn-in is real, no one can't deny it.

The way it affects differed from panel to another. Depends upon the QC(quality control) of the manufactured batch also. There are lot of parameters here. You can read the rtings burn-in test result. Just take this as pinch of salt.

If you want to experience the Ferrari, Just be ready for some extra maintenance ;)

Thanks. :D

Thanks.

Mmmm...if you're primarily watching tatasky, then it might be an issue after a few years. Logos burnt in the 2017 sets in Rtings test somewhere between 2000-3000 hours on the sets running CNN at high brightness. However, that happened on primarily the red sub-pixel, that's why the slides using that show the worst of it. Now consider that the red sub-pixel is almost twice the size of 2017 sets. That number can easily be doubled, if not more.

Now if you don't run the TV at high brightness settings, even better. Even if you do, I don't expect burn-in to happen for the first 2-3 years. However, somewhere in year 4-5, parts of the logo can burn-in. Is there any cable box that doesn't have their logo on screen at all times? Maybe you can switch to that.

Streaming shouldn't cause any issues though for 6-7 years. Even then the biggest risk will actually be subtitles, which you can minimize by turning them to semi transparent.

There's something else in addition to panel lottery. Calibrators including Vincent are known to have stated closed doors that LG grades panels, with higher graded panels going to Panasonic/ Sony and their E series. The chances of getting such panels in the C and B series is negligible

There's something else in addition to panel lottery. Calibrators including Vincent are known to have stated closed doors that LG grades panels, with higher graded panels going to Panasonic/ Sony and their E series. The chances of getting such panels in the C and B series is negligible

Sounds like hearsay. Rtings has not found any difference in E and C series over the years. Nor has any other testing site. Can you link to Vincent saying this?

Is this the price for 55" or 65"?

Sounds like hearsay. Rtings has not found any difference in E and C series over the years. Nor has any other testing site. Can you link to Vincent saying this?

Well avforums has members who have interacted with him directly
Also just because one grades panels does not mean that the panels are specification variant..such as the pixel structure , etc It is more of a QC process AFAIK.

Well avforums has members who have interacted with him directly
Also just because one grades panels does not mean that the panels are specification variant..such as the pixel structure , etc It is more of a QC process AFAIK.

Until and unless there's more proof apart from hearsay, I don't believe it. Spending tens of thousands extra on hearsay is not something I would ever do.

Mmmm...if you're primarily watching tatasky, then it might be an issue after a few years. Logos burnt in the 2017 sets in Rtings test somewhere between 2000-3000 hours on the sets running CNN at high brightness. However, that happened on primarily the red sub-pixel, that's why the slides using that show the worst of it. Now consider that the red sub-pixel is almost twice the size of 2017 sets. That number can easily be doubled, if not more.

Now if you don't run the TV at high brightness settings, even better. Even if you do, I don't expect burn-in to happen for the first 2-3 years. However, somewhere in year 4-5, parts of the logo can burn-in. Is there any cable box that doesn't have their logo on screen at all times? Maybe you can switch to that.

Streaming shouldn't cause any issues though for 6-7 years. Even then the biggest risk will actually be subtitles, which you can minimize by turning them to semi transparent.

Yeah. I was going through the OLED thread here on HFV. The tatasky logo is my only concern. The more because half the logo is in red! :(

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back