Playback quality of Malayan 78 rpm and 45 rpm records

kuruvilajacob

Dear friends,
I have been wanting to post some observations I noticed during the last few months regarding the breathtaking reproduction of many Malayalam 78 rpm records over English 78rpm records.At first I thought it may be because of the quality of the English 78 rpm records. But then I checked with some mint English 78 rpm records. I was surprised and clueless why the Malayalam 78 rpm records were sounding far superior. So I checked some Malayalam 45 rpm records and English 45 rpm Even there I found a clear superiority in the reproduction. For both 78 rpm and 45 rpm I tried a few Hindi records also. They also did not come to the quality of Malayalam with a few exceptions. I asked my brother also to listen and he also is of the same opinion . Now, I know that Malayalam LPs, EPs and 78s are in great demand because the market was small compared to other regional languages and limited quantities were pressed and that could be the reason for this. Please remember, I have a very dedicated system for playing my 78s and 45 rpm . I use a Dual 1019 TT with Shure mono magnetic cartridge with Top of the line Sony pre amplifier and Quad 2 Mono blocks driving 12" Philips full range speakers. The reproduction is so natural many visitors, have confessed they have never heard 78s like this. So anyone needs to be convinced about my observations, you are welcome for an audition.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back