Playing 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm amp.

gurinder dhaliwal

I have bought new wharfedale 100 diamond series speakers with marantz sr 6006 reciever.speakers are of 4 ohm impedance and amp is 8 ohm .when i play it for longer duration or loud, amp gets heated up.i m afraid that amp will be damaged with excesive heat.guide me that should i change speakers or is it ok.can we play4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm amp?

NO YOU CANT MAN!!! In most cases Amps have settings to change from 8 Ohm to 4 Ohm. If you dont have that setting, dont play it.

Ohm is a measure of the capacitance (resistance) of a particular load.

If your Amp is designed for speakers with 8 Ohm of capacitance and you run 4 Ohm loads on it, it's halfway to shorting out the Amp. Shorting the Amp would mean a zero ohm load. So with 4 ohm, you're halfway there!

Dont play. Change the Amp and speakers to match each other.

An Amp designed to work with 4 ohm speakers will also work with 8 ohm speakers

An Amp designed to work with 8 ohm speakers will heat up when connected with 4 ohm speakers

As suggested above-- switch to 8 ohm speakers

Most AVRs have a setting to select the speaker impedance. My Yamaha has 8 ohms or 6 ohms selectable and the manual says that I can use 6 ohms setting for playing 4 ohms speakers.

Using 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm set AVR is likely to lead to AVR burning.

Its not recommended to run low impedance Speaker with High Impedance Amp there are hundreds of reasons said by expert. But with my knowledge(Gained in Forum) I shall let you some below.

1.Low impedance speaker would require more power amp,hence the amp get heaten up while running at high volume.
2.In case you dont have choice of using the combo, then dont turn the Volume knob above the average (Say 90 Degree)
3.The Live of Amp would get reduced gradually which its getting heaten Up, so be prepare for replacement.

In short the 4 Ohms speakers doesnt do any magic compared to 8 ohms, so Try avoiding the 4 Ohms (Which cannot be used in many amp as now by default the systems are supporting the 8 ohms Only)and in case you got then drive it with the suitable amp.

relax buddy..no speaker change is needed...
add a power amp..and you are good to go...ur amp remains cool.........lets load the power amp..
i think 6006 has pre outs for all channels

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back