playing .mkv with 4K and Atmos

ankitbhargava

After Netflix, I completely discontinued watching Movies using .mkv files.
I am considering that again to enjoy a better Audio.
What is the best and most cost effective way to achieve that? I should be able to stream in 4K with Atmos sound.
Thanks in advance!

Edit : I shall be using SSD to store .mkv files

After Netflix, I completely discontinued watching Movies using .mkv files.
I am considering that again to enjoy a better Audio.
What is the best and most cost effective way to achieve that? I should be able to stream in 4K with Atmos sound.
Thanks in advance!

Edit : I shall be using SSD to store .mkv files
Nvidia shield

Even I am also curious... not about device to play, but sourcing the content. How do our FMs get MKV files with Dolby Vision/Atmos of popular movies in cost effective way?

Nvidia shield is a good option if you are looking for good media player which is specially designed for media playback!

+ Xbox one x is another option in line up.
You can use it for games + blue ray player + OTT.
It supports dolby atmos capability from netflix. Though there are not much titles available with dolby atmos in Netflix now.

Even I am also curious... not about device to play, but sourcing the content. How do our FMs get MKV files with Dolby Vision/Atmos of popular movies in cost effective way?
Either you buy a physical disc or you torrent from private/public torrent sites.

Coming to OP topic, import the Nvidia Shield. Shield is not available officially here hence the crazy prices.

I completely agree with @Yogesh , Not sure why people are not recommending android tv box in which you can install kodi and have the audio set to passthrough, it plays all video formats and and has tons of options even for streaming as well, a good android tv box will cost you 3-4k at max

Nvidia shield is a good option if you are looking for good media player which is specially designed for media playback!

+ Xbox one x is another option in line up.
You can use it for games + blue ray player + OTT.
It supports dolby atmos capability from netflix. Though there are not much titles available with dolby atmos in Netflix now.
Already using Xbox One S for all OTT content, works well. The sound quality in Netflix is close to 60-70% as compared to Blu-ray. I am on consistent 100 MBPS connection. 4K UHD stream just fine

Still the quality of sound in those .mkv files is much better. There is no easy way to play .mkv on Xbox. File need to be converted to a compatible format.

I am using a few years old one right now with 1080p output with great satisfaction. Newer ones support 4K too and have Android TV with support of all Streaming services.
any specific suggestion? I have been looking out for Android Boxes as well but none as such has a consistent review of playing 4k+ passthrough without hassle.

why not make a small itx pc, if you have space around your tv. Out of all the streaming device, i think pc is the best in term of atmos support,connectivity options and customisation.

why not make a small itx pc, if you have space around your tv. Out of all the streaming device, i think pc is the best in term of atmos support,connectivity options and customisation.
Somehow I could never use HTPCs I have brought in past.. need a lot of time and tinkering around to make them work flawlessly. One thing or other keeps popping as a challenge so this time I am looking for something out of the box :)

Already using Xbox One S for all OTT content, works well. The sound quality in Netflix is close to 60-70% as compared to Blu-ray. I am on consistent 100 MBPS connection. 4K UHD stream just fine

Still the quality of sound in those .mkv files is much better. There is no easy way to play .mkv on Xbox. File need to be converted to a compatible format.
I do have Xbox one x . I am able to play .mkv files cleanly with the latest Media player from microsoft. You can try updating the App and try playing the mkv file if you already have it , or you can download player from microsoft store.
You can try with VLC player, Kodi player also.
Kodi player has some issues while forwarding/rewinding movies with xbox otherwise it plays the mkv files cleanly.

Somehow I could never use HTPCs I have brought in past.. need a lot of time and tinkering around to make them work flawlessly. One thing or other keeps popping as a challenge so this time I am looking for something out of the box
If you are looking for Android box , then Nvidia shield is the best option . But its not available in india and its little expensive.
You can try with amazon.in and there are lot of android boxes available , you can go through their specifications /reviews and pick up one.

You can check with Xiaomi Mi Box S . Seems to be decent player. But not sure it supports dolby atmos.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back