Playing MOV files from Canon DSLRs on Sony BDP S370

arnab_d

hi
I was trying to play a MOV file from Canon DSLR.. copied on a USB drive and attached to the front USB of the S370.. however the file wont play. I am attaching the media info below.
I tried to convert the MOV file to a MKV file but that did not work either. There is something in the file which the S370 does not support.. can anyone help with this..which parameter in the below media info needs to be changed/recoded for the S370 to recognize and play.
Thanks a lot.

General
Complete name : E:\MVI_4100.mOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 327 MiB
Duration : 59s 100ms
Overall bit rate : 46.5 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-06-26 23:13:26
Tagged date : UTC 2012-06-26 23:13:26
CNTH : Exif
Video #1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 44.9 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 088 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.897
Stream size : 316 MiB (97%)
Audio #2
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : sowt
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 10.8 MiB (3%)

You need to make an MPEG or M2TS file... There is a program called TSMuxerGUI which is used to specifically make Sony PS3 and BDP compatible files.

MPEG conversion will take a long time, whereas, remuxing streams into a M2TS file takes minutes only with that program. And the MPEG-4 AVC codec and PCM audio codec are completely compatible with M2TS. Infact, that is Blu-ray preferred codec. It is only the container format incompatibility with MOV.

Thanks @aashish351... I did try txmuxer 1.10.6 just now.. when I dragged and dropped the MOV file into the gui scree, it gave a warning that the audio track is not detected properly and dropped it.. it recognized the video track and I was able to mux it to ts. I am not sure if the view would play.. will try it tonight when I am home. but any idea why the audio track is not detected.. any other easy way to make this work.

OK I managed to get it working.. It was a two step process. First I demuxed the Audio track from the MOV file and converted it from PCM to AAC L3 and muxed it back saving it in a MP4 container. The video track left unchanged.

then I took the MP4 file into TSMuxer and changed the profile level to make it 4.1 instead of 5 and muxed the Video and Audio to TS file.

This TS file worked on the S370...

In the above steps the point was to avoid decoding and recoding video as you'd mentioned since it take a long time and it probably would cause PQ degradation...

thanks for the tips..though I must say its a bit painful ... ideally I'd like to take the MOV files from my dSLR and play on the S370 directly.. Canon unfortunately does not do AVCHD which does play smoothly on the S370... oh well...

Get a Rs.2500/- Himedia HD202A HDD media player from focalgadgets.com. It is so convenient and plays every damn thing you throw at it... can work with internal 2.5" laptop HDD or USB device.

IDealshare VideoGo is what you need when converting MOV to DVD player. Besides converting MOV to DVD player, iDealshare VideoGo can also help to convert ASF, RMVB, AVI, DV, M2TS, VOB, FLV, MKV, TS, MOV, RM, WMV, MTS, etc to DVD player.

It is good that you found a way to play it. DSLR video clips are essentially raw footage that needed a lot of edriting & processing before they turn into a watchable 'movie'.
Adobe Premier Pro and Apple Final Cut work well.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back