Please help for new speakers

puneetkhurana21

Hi All,

I am Puneet from Bangalore and this is my first post on the forum.

I am sure the question is pretty trivial for u guys but i need to decide upon the speakers with the following combination.

I have Marantz pm8005. and i am looking for musical speakers to give amp the sound.
the following are the requirements

Use: only for music and not for home theater
Music types: Gazals, Sufiana, No nonsense bollywood songs, unplugged (coke studios types)

Preferences: warm speaker with instruments clarity. i guess i am taking about clear note of guitar, sitar. pure music of piano, but should not be harsh to ears.

room size: please see the attached image

Speakers Options (as these speakers are recommended as warm speakers)
1) Wharfedale 159 (btw , will they go with pm8005?)
2) quad 23L/25L
3) jamo c607 (again will they go with pm8005)

what i have auditioned:
1) KEF: after listening Q900 for 10 mins at high volume, my ears were bleeding. they kept on paining for long that i didn't enjoy my next jamo demo

2) Jamo: c809 was kool but out of budget. the dealer told me that he is not having c607 for demo but they also sound nearly as good as c809. so i'll audition c607 next in their other showroom

3) bose 901: i am not sure whether i liked them or not as the mids were clear but base was missing. but clarity was there.

Advice: please suggest for wharfedale or quad or any other speaker which will compliment 8005.

Any suggestion advice are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Puneet

Attachments

• room_des.jpg
    room_des.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 273
I have recently reviewed Polk TSx 220b bookshelf. Probably gonna buy dis week. Give it a try, very good for a stereo setup. MRP 20K
Profx gives around 10/12 % discount.

Puneet, this is not directly related to your question, but in your space, you might get better results from whichever speakers you buy, if you use one of the placement options mentioned below:

Option 1
2ur2z4x.jpg

Option 2
skudew.jpg

You might need to try both before you decide which one works best for you.

If you're using Option 1, do leave at least 1 ft between the speakers and the wall behind them (and of course, at least 1 ft between the speakers and the wall next to them). I would shoot for 4 ft behind the speakers and maybe 2-2.5 ft between the individual speakers and the side walls.

I'm sorry about not being able to give a good suggestion far as choice of speakers is concerned. :eek:

Puneet, this is not directly related to your question, but in your space, you might get better results from whichever speakers you buy, if you use one of the placement options mentioned below:

Option 1
2ur2z4x.jpg

Option 2
skudew.jpg

You might need to try both before you decide which one works best for you.

If you're using Option 1, do leave at least 1 ft between the speakers and the wall behind them (and of course, at least 1 ft between the speakers and the wall next to them). I would shoot for 4 ft behind the speakers and maybe 2-2.5 ft between the individual speakers and the side walls.

I'm sorry about not being able to give a good suggestion far as choice of speakers is concerned. :eek:

+1 to the above post. With your original configuration, your left speaker sound is going to be more exaggerated for highs and lows. Highs will be exaggerated because of more side wall reflection and lows because it is placed in a corner compared to the left speaker.

Curious to know the KEF Q900 sounded very harsh. I guess you visited ProFx in Phonenix Mall. Did they play Q900 with a Stereo amp or the Denon AVR? usually they drive the Q900 from the AVR. If that was the case, please ask them to play the speakers using a stereo amp.

Thanks,
John.

Thanks,
John.

Thanks Hydra!

Actually the extreme right is the door to garden :(
i'll definitely try with other option.
Thanks a lot for your valuable points.

Thanks Sreekanth for letting me know the options.
i'll try with Usher V601 or V602, PSB Image T6

KEF speakers are very bright. i already auditioned it.

Thanks for your cents

Monitor Audio goes well with Marantz. and silver series is a must one to listen to. Guitar strings do seems to come alive. Otherwise B&W CM9 or 685 but i am not sure about their synergies with marantz.

* both are concert series and both have DTT decoupled tweeter. in a nutshell C series of jamo will sound nearly the same in Mid and highs.

** jamo's and the rest of the lot are by far better sounding speaker than Bose 901. Bose 901 in itself is a very confused speaker.

*** do try Usher and Epos

BTW whats the budget you are looking at ?

Hi John,

you got it all right. i auditioned in phoenix mall and that too with denon avr :).

And i was not at all aware about the technicalities which you mentioned in post.
Thanks for the details.

Can i try the speakers in the longer room at one end.

Thanks Lucksin. my budget is somewhere between 1 to 1.25L.

you are right bose is really confused and make other confuse too.

BTW today i auditioned Quad and they were warm and good.

Masood played it with marantz avr and normal cd player in normal room and they were good.

may go with them.

And all the guys thank you for your valuable suggestions.

i'll definitely try the suggested speakers before making any decision.

Hi Puneetkhurana21

You have an excellent amp which will deliver good output and depth. To ensure true justice is done you need to select speakers which can deliver maximum frequencies (20hz - 20khz) to a human ear...hence the best listening experience.

Higher the sensitivity better the performance of the speaker. B&W speakers work well with Marantz amps or AVRs. The following models would be ideal for the PM8005.

B&W 683
B&W Diamond 800 series
B&W CM8 or CM9 or CM 10

The Bose 901s are not the ones BOSE used to manufacture in the past...today they sound so crappy that you feel like throwing something at it.

Would recommend that you take the following music for a perfect sound test at the dealer before any speaker purchase. 'Hotel California LIVE' and 'Aao Huzoor'

End of the day, you need to see what appeals to you and your wallet....hope this helps...all the best. You may want to short list a few models after demo and check online for review performance posted by users across the globe....remember...the dealer has a special soundproof created environment to captivate any potential customer (sales pitch) this area of course is computer measured etc etc to perfection. Any speaker will sound great at the shop..once you connect the same at home...it may not be all there.

Most important...NEW speakers need to OPEN UP or rather adjust itself to the amp it is been driven on and so don't expect the NEW speakers to sound awesome on day 1....dedicated 3-5 hours a day of music at different volume levels will help them GET ADJUSTED quickly...you would need to play all kinds of music...this will ensure all frequencies being considered. Oh yes...speaker cables nothing less than AWG 14.

if the budget is upto 1.25 then try to listen to sonus faber venere or if possible toy towers. they sound excellent and clear.

Last edited:
When I was auditioning, I had also gone to ProFX at Phoenix Mall and wasn't particularly satisfied with it.
Finally, I went with Norge amp 2060 + Norge Millenium Speakers on advice on HFV. I listen to the same genres and my ears like them. The sound is very warm.
These are not floorstanders though (bookshelves).
You can ask Norge proprietor Shyam Bajaj ji if he has anything compatible with your amp.

If you want you can audition my setup though maybe its not as high-end or exactly as you want for comparison.

You may contact him here:-
http://www.norgeaudio.com/contact.html

They don't have Bangalore distributors apparently.

Last edited:
Hi John,

you got it all right. i auditioned in phoenix mall and that too with denon avr :).

And i was not at all aware about the technicalities which you mentioned in post.
Thanks for the details.

Can i try the speakers in the longer room at one end.

Hi Puneet,

If possible, try taking your amp for auditions if you have got the amp already. That would be the best way to judge the synergy between your future speakers and your amp.

One rule of thump you can follow while placing speakers is that try to make the speaker "surrounding" as identical as possible for both L and R speakers. Both speakers should get identical reflective surfaces (walls) and absorbing surfaces (like soft furniture like sofas). If one speaker gets either of this in excess / less, it will sound different from the other speaker and you lose the imaging, depth and centering. I can add more variable into the equation (diffuser, floor and ceiling reflections, bass management etc) if you want to ;).

BTW, there is a wonderful thread started by one of our veteran FMs- MPW on speaker placement. Please go through that. There are lots of valuable comments and suggestions discussed there. Here it is - http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/49532-speaker-positioning.html

Thanks,
John.

Hi All,

I am Puneet from Bangalore and this is my first post on the forum.

I am sure the question is pretty trivial for u guys but i need to decide upon the speakers with the following combination.

I have Marantz pm8005. and i am looking for musical speakers to give amp the sound.
the following are the requirements

Use: only for music and not for home theater
Music types: Gazals, Sufiana, No nonsense bollywood songs, unplugged (coke studios types)

Preferences: warm speaker with instruments clarity. i guess i am taking about clear note of guitar, sitar. pure music of piano, but should not be harsh to ears.

room size: please see the attached image

Speakers Options (as these speakers are recommended as warm speakers)
1) Wharfedale 159 (btw , will they go with pm8005?)
2) quad 23L/25L
3) jamo c607 (again will they go with pm8005)

what i have auditioned:
1) KEF: after listening Q900 for 10 mins at high volume, my ears were bleeding. they kept on paining for long that i didn't enjoy my next jamo demo

2) Jamo: c809 was kool but out of budget. the dealer told me that he is not having c607 for demo but they also sound nearly as good as c809. so i'll audition c607 next in their other showroom

3) bose 901: i am not sure whether i liked them or not as the mids were clear but base was missing. but clarity was there.

Advice: please suggest for wharfedale or quad or any other speaker which will compliment 8005.

Any suggestion advice are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Puneet

Look also at Blumenhofer Genuin FS5 which are on offer at The Listening Room in Bangalore. For me that was my best buy ever.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back